Excellent conifer book

Norridgewock, ME(Zone 5a)

I got Dwarf and Unusual Conifers Coming of Age by Sandra Cutler for Christmas, and it is a terrific book. It has lots of inspiring pictures taken at the National Arboretum, focusing on conifers (over 300) donated by Gotelli and most of the pictures have handy diagrams to help you identify which tree is which. There is an excellent description of species, with pictures and growth habits and rates, hardiness, etc. It is just incredibly useful for someone who knows s/he wants to grow unusual conifers but not sure which ones. And it has reinforced my determination to get to the National Arboretum someday and see these trees in person.

Danville, IN

I got this book a year ago, and agree that it is extremely interesting for any conifer nut! The pictures are wonderful and it's full of valuable information. Anyone who can get to the National Arboretum should go there, but plan at least a full day, if not more time to enjoy it.

Holland, OH(Zone 5b)

Oooooooooo. I love books and conifers and didn't have this one. Thanks for posting this.

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

Here's a taste of what you'll get to see there at USNA (from May 2009)...

Thumbnail by ViburnumValley
Danville, IN

If I remember correctly, they also house the National Bonsai Collection. Awesome.

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

OK, now you are just yanking my chain...see here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_n4EFAHwYY&feature=player_embedded

Danville, IN

Very nice You Tube post. Can't wait to get back to D.C. and visit.

Louisville, KY(Zone 6a)

If you’re interested in Bonsai…I belong to The Greater Louisville Bonsai Society, and we are hosting the ABS/BCI (American Bonsai Society/Bonsai Club International) Symposium In Louisville June 16-19 of 2011 at the Fern Valley Hotel & Convention Center.There will be instructors from Europe, Asia, Mexico and the US as well as Classes, Workshops and Demos by Bonsai Masters. There will also be Vendors of Bonsai, Bonsai Pots and Viewing Stones. It really is going to be a big deal. You might want to check it out.

Danville, IN

I try to "avoid" bonsai temptation, but do have an interest in it. I might just have to succumb to the lure of the symposium next year. Sounds like a rare opportunity so close to home. Thanks for the heads-up.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.