Questions about Dwarf Early Richmond Cherry Trees

Hammond, LA(Zone 8b)

I ordered 2 of these from the Arbor Day Foundation, and they came in this week. They sent some freebies along, and I have them all temporarily living in a very large pot outside but under cover.

Does anyone have any experience with these? I can't find an exact mature growth for them. It looks like they wil be between 8-10 feet. Is this accurate? Can they live in large pots (24")? I have 2 different spots in mind for these and just wanted to get input before I decided where they will live.

Thanks, Jennifer

La Grange, TX(Zone 8b)

I found some information on Early Richmond cherries from Dave Wilson Nursery. The trees grow between 15' - 18', probably too large for a pot. More importantly, they need about 700 chill hours to properly break dormancy. On average, how many chill hours do you get per year? If you get less than 700, the tree will not break dormancy as it's supposed to and will not produce fruit. The tree's health will decline and eventually die or fall prey to diseases. You may want to consider getting low chill sweet cherry trees which require about 400 chill hours. If you don't know how many chill hours you get, contact your Cooperative Extension office. They will know.

Hammond, LA(Zone 8b)

Betty, thanks for the info! The tree is a "Dwarf" version of the Early Richmond. I will call my extension office about the hours. Thanks! Jennifer

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.