Northern Flicker (Colaptes auratus)

Logan Lake, BC(Zone 3a)

Thumbnail by mcash70
PERTH, Australia

What a fabulous capture.

Marlton, NJ

Wonderful shot mcash!

Ladysmith, BC

Well just yesterday I was sitting having a cuppa with a friend watching the birds in the back garden. I get lots of Northern Flickers to my different feeders. They come and go usually fairly orderly. Until yesterday. Saw a major ruckus going on. And here was this big ball of feathers fighting in mid air fairly close to a suet feeder. They were really going at it and then landed in a bush and went on for a while there.

Oh my gosh!!! This is a wonderful photo!!!

Flickers have got to be the shyest birds in my neighborhood. They visit but if they see the slightest movement even through a window they are gone. So for me it is an extra amazing photo. Thanks for sharing!

Logan Lake, BC(Zone 3a)

Thank all of you for the nice comments on my flicker photo.
The week before I was lucky enough to get this shot plus several others, I was amazed to see 3 on the fence at one time, but darn, didn't have my camera close at hand as usual. I have one that will stay at the feeder when I open the door to throw peanuts out for the Steller's jays.

Troutdale, OR

wow excellent shot. what a treat to see that! we get them here in Oregon. I notice many posts refer to them being so shy, but I see them bully the starlings for position in my yard! I love it when I see it... not a fan of the starlings-- who scare ALL of my other little birds away. great shot. thx for the story.

Fresno, CA(Zone 9b)

Oh my, MC! This is amazing. It actually looks as if the bird with it's back to you is looking in a mirror, doesn't it?

An AMAZING photo!

Linda

Logan Lake, BC(Zone 3a)

Thank you Linda for that very nice comment! And yes, it really does look like he is looking in a mirror.

Margaret

Putnam County, IN(Zone 5b)

This is one of those 'once in a lifetime moment' shots...so glad you caught it!

Glad it popped up on the Random Bird. I don't recall seeing it before!

Logan Lake, BC(Zone 3a)

Thanks nanny_56, happy to hear it was on the Random Bird and that you got to see it.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.