Tropical Gardens

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

Some of the most exotic plants are blooming now for me.... The is Medinilla 'lalique'...believe it is a cultivar and not a species but am not sure. Before the flowers open they hang down like so many chandaliers (spelling?)... The "lalique' is for the famous French crystal of the signature color, purple....

Thumbnail by AlohaHoya
Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

And here it is open....

Thumbnail by AlohaHoya

What a stunning plant!

Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

I have the hot pink one - they are so unique and pretty - I love the color of yours!

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

I think it is one of my favorite tropical plants...wish it had a fragrance!!!

Here is a new one I just got....

Thumbnail by AlohaHoya
Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

And here is a picture of the ground under a Mountain Apple Tree...a pink carpet of petals....

Thumbnail by AlohaHoya
Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

And here is a new ginger...recently collected. Isn't it beautiful!!!?

Thumbnail by AlohaHoya
KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Those are all gorgeous!!

noonamah, Australia

That looks great, gingers have some of the most bizzare and spectacular flowers. This is one of mine which originates from Thailand.

Thumbnail by tropicbreeze
Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

AHyes...isn't that a Globba? I love their colors!!!

noonamah, Australia

I don't knows it's name. Where I bought it they travel a lot to Thailand for plants. Their name for it was just "A Ginger from Thailand". A bit pre-Linnean.

I have a ginger called 'dancing ladies' which is so beautiful - blooms a long time, too.

http://www.gingersrus.com/globba.php

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

Yes....Globba, Dancing Ladies... "samesame'. I have a pink one, a magenta one and the white. All are so lovely and their blooms do last a long time....

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

Tecomanthe venusta has left the fence and gone bush.....

Thumbnail by AlohaHoya

I really need one of those Tecomanthes.

Ya, Hettie - we all do! Maybe one of the lucky owners will trade cuttings!!!

that Thai ginger is so odd that it's hard to look at!!!!

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

When this blooming cycle stops I will root a bunch of cuttings...will be open to trades.... LOL What a happy new year conversation

Indeed!

(What on Earth here from St Croix could I trade for something Hawaiian???)

Or here in Florida, what could we have that you would not already have access to???!

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

OH? Gold nuggets? Your first born? Endless beauty?

Xai Xai, Mozambique

Hahahahaha, Carol, you are terrible!! i like the last one....
i just read this thread for the first time, and the plants shown here are gorgeous!!!
isaac

Money I can do!

lol, St Croix not on the Spanish gold route.

Tourists used to, when I worked diving, ask me to go with them in the harbor because they wanted to pick up some gold coins. They were serious!! Finally a friend gave me the answer, said to tell them I go on Saturdays, but limit myself to one bucket full.

But I probably could do well with an underwater metal detector, the day after cruise shippers are crowding our beaches...

Mérida, Yucatán, Mexico(Zone 11)

I just called my #1 son in LA and told him to start packing I had traded him to Hawaii. Funny, he didn't seem at all upset. :)

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

....you are too funny. I really enjoy propagation and sharing...help with shipping is always welcome. Better stop this conversation as someone could interpret it as 'selling'....it's not. I am not selling anything!!!

no problem, no money to buy with!

Maybe you trade for ... not soil, not beach sand,,,,,,,,,, pretty tropical sunset???

hahaha

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

trades are fun...but not necessary.... :~)

Ok, tell us what you 'need' - maybe we have it or can find it.

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

Interesting concept! First let me root the puppies!!! I can do up to about 4 or 5...

Please keep me in mind! Thank you!

Morgan Hill, CA(Zone 9b)

where did you get that Medinilla 'lalique'!!!!!
its beautiful

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

There are fairly common here. I have tried propagating from seed without luck...but will try again with this bloom.

Atenas, Costa Rica

AlohaHoya I think you post a picture of a Dalechampia dioscorioefolia (vine)

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

The 5th photo? Probably...I don't have the name in front of me...it's in the pot.

Atenas, Costa Rica

#3 pic.

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

Ah yes...3rd photo/5th post. You are right. I am anxious to plant it out and let it go!!! Do you know anything particular about this vine...I know nothing...

I grow my Dalechampia dioscorioefolia in the greenhouse year around - it doesn't like our chilly nights.

Norwalk, IA(Zone 5b)

Aloha Auntie Kalola,

Nice pics, wish it was warm and sunny here. We have 36 inches of snow on the ground now. YUCK!! Da haole bruhs plants got da blues too! Can't wait till spring. :-)

beeg haole hugs!!!

Kyle :-)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.