How Cluttered is Your Car/Truck/Van?

Northeast, AR(Zone 7a)

I keep my van very neat, nothing on the dashboard, no water bottles rolling around in the floor, no restaurant receipts in the seats, and the glovebox is neat and orderly where I can get right to insurance and registration if needed (fortunately not often!). Anyone who rides with me can get right in without having to move things off the seat or out of the floorboard.

I've ridden with friends who have soda cans everywhere, cigarette packages in the floors, junk piled up in the seats, papers sliding all across the dashboard, and if you open the glove box, things fall out.

I used to be a window teller for a gas company and one customer amazed me. She showed up once a month at 4:58 (2 minutes before closing). She was a short, fat woman in an old beatup car that was crammed full! She didn't actually live out of her car; she had a residence. But her car looked like a house on wheels with all the stuff she had in it. Her dashboard was piled up at least a foot high with old mail. She'd rummage thru it for several minutes looking for the bill she needed to pay at our window. Then she'd rummage thru a large purse looking for her checkbook and then rummage around more in the car to locate a pen. As short as she was and with all the papers piled on her dash, I wondered how she saw out the window to drive. Perhaps she didn't really; maybe that's why she drove so slowly when she left our window about 5:15.

I can understand house clutter, but car clutter to that extreme baffles me. It seems it would be a safety issue. It's at least distracting. I don't even allow riders to put anything on my dashboard. Something sliding back and forth across it and its reflection in my windshield distracts me too much.

How do you feel about car clutter? Is yours cluttered? Can friends hop right in and get comfortable to pal around with you, or must you relocate a lot of trash and junk anytime someone wants to ride? Do you have anything on your dash? If I were to open your glovebox, would things spring out like a jack-in-the-box?

This thread has 31 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!