Help with hardy geranium ID please!

(Zone 5a)

Hi everyone! I grew this geranium from seed marked G. psilostemon. Some of the plants were G. psilostemon, but this one's totally different. I have no idea what kind it is. Anyone recognize it?

Rannveig

Thumbnail by rannveig
(Zone 5a)

Here's a view of the foliage:

Thumbnail by rannveig
london, United Kingdom

It looks like a Geranium x oxoniaum or G. endressii.

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

That is one beautiful Geranium.

(Zone 5a)

Thank you rbtkew - it does look like G. x oxonianum fits the bill :-)

Thanks stormyla - it is a happy find :-)

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Thank You Both! I'll have to look for that lovely plant here in the US. Is it's habit more upright or spreading?

(Zone 5a)

It has an upright habit, about 60 cm (about 24") in hight ..... it might grow taller with time, it was flowering first time from seed last summer. Very pretty!

Rannveig

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Thank you, Rannveig. Maybe I can find some seeds for it. I so envy you Europeans with your multilingual capabilities. I try to improve mine a little every year, but it is mostly conversational, not written. I can do fairly well in several of the romance languages and the Germanic ones also. I haven't yet made it to Iceland, but if your language is anything like Finnish, I'm lost!! I couldn't even order a cup of coffee there!

How long is your growing season? I am continually captivated by the amazing beauty of the gardens and container plantings in northern Europe.

(Zone 5a)

Icelandic sounds a bit like Finnish rithmically speaking but is totally unrelated though .... Icelandic is actually closest to the "original" norse language of the vikings ... the other nordic languages have evolved further apart ;-) A cup of coffee, please is : Einn bolla af kaffi, takk ... so now you have something to go on ;-) lol

Our growing season is very short .... barely three months from last spring frost to first fall frost .... and to make things more difficult the summers are very cool, mainly 50's and low 60's ... although with global warming we've been seeing more days in upper 60's temps. We wouldn't really mind to see even more of those, even some low 70's would be welcome! lol It makes it impossible to grow plants that bloom later than July in warmer countries ..... Rudbeckias and Echinaceas for instance don't have enough time to bloom, mine had buds in September when the first frosts ruined them. Growing roses here is a real struggle as well ......

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Thanks, Rannveig, I will think of you when I order my first cup of hearty Icelandic kaffi! That's why I am so amazed at the beauty of your plantings. I saw spectacular displays of Lobelia in northern Europe and of course, Poppies.

Where I live is very cold in the winter and horribly hot and humid in the summer. But I think that my area has one of the most diverse plant choices of anywhere in the world. We can grow Poppies, lobelias and Lupines, but our temperatures change dramatically from day to day and sometimes, the bloom will die in one day if we get an early heat wave. This year it got extremely hot, in the 90's for two days in late March. I completely lost the Crocus bloom.

But then again, we had so much rain in spring and early summer followed by 6 weeks of draught and then 2 more months of rain. For many people, the tomatoes never even ripened this year. The fall was so wet and warm that many of the leaves fell off of the trees while still green.

Thank you for sharing a glimpse into your country with me!

(Zone 5a)

You're welcome :-) Can't imagine 90's in March!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.