Practical Matters for Physically Challenged Gardeners #2

SE/Gulf Coast Plains, AL(Zone 8b)

We came from here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1024192/

Welcome! On this thread we discuss the practical aspects of continuing to garden, learning to garden or just ways to enjoy the outdoors when you are dealing with a physical challenge of some kind. And, we also appreciate any ideas those who aren't dealing with such challenges yet want to contribute.

Jim (seacanepain) and I are in the process of creating a small community garden designed by and for physically challenged people so we appreciate all the ideas we can get. (We actually manage to stay on topic much of the time.)

Vickie, your updated version of sharecropping sounds good, if you can only find the right person. That is the challenge. I’m going to have to do some creative problem solving like that. I’m having trouble keeping up. If only I could get a youthful body to go with my youthful enthusiasm. LOL.

Coming up with overall designs for the primarily ornamental, communal areas are an issue now. We are talking about doing some sort of low-key design idea awards thing on the blog to come up with attractive, workable, affordable plans for these areas. We had a working system for dealing with the problem. I would describe and Jim photograph the area to be landscaped and give this info to our proxy gardeners who lived at a nearby nursing home. But, we’ve lost our two wonderful proxy gardeners. Basically, we would be using Different Shades of Green to find new proxy gardeners. More “Amargians-at-large!” Could work. We are batting around the ‘award” part. We could publish the different design solutions with credits, of course. Make them visual with the computer landscaping program. Jim suggests I give away a gardening book, if we use an idea. I have gardening books I’ve never opened. I belonged to one of those garden book clubs long after I lost the ability to read print. I kept thinking some reading aid would come available that would work for me. Time for a reality check! I have no use for print books and I am tired of moving them from place to place. No one else here has time to read them either. I could take out two birds with one stone. Get rid of the clutter while getting fresh ideas. However, I just don’t know if anyone would be interested. Whether or not, we could offer enough incentive. We considered and quickly dismissed the idea of a professional garden designer. That would defeat the purpose of Amargia. Besides, if their ideas of what blind people need and want are any indication of how they would design for mobility impaired, we are better off forging our own path. The professionals seem to have ideas for a “blind person’s garden” that are too expensive for the average VIP to implement and the designs often feel “institutional” to me. Can’t think of a better word. Fumbling around as we sometimes do, I still think we can do better.

Yes, we have quite an inherited collection of irises at Amargia. They work well in the visually impaired garden with their big, bold splashes of color. (We haven’t come up with an official name for this garden area, but it is dedicated more to the hard-of-seeing (?), not the blind.) Don’t know the cultivar names for most of them yet. Many haven’t produced a bloom since being moved here. A lot of the gardening ladies who came to this area from points north during the 1950’s brought their tulips with them, but quickly discovered tulips were too much trouble this far south. Most transferred their affections from tulips to irises. They are a breeze here.

Paul, Jim is running with the idea for the ferret cage you put in his head. He is planting it with strawberries top and sides. I’ll have him post a pic next time it stops raining. Yep, raining again. *Kay*

Midland City, AL

Hey, Vickie, I’ve got the solution to both our problems. We could start a garden exchange program. We would be happy to give you a piece of Deep South ground to manage. I could take on a section of your woodland. (Have shovel. Will travel.) Neither of us would ever again have to experience the zone envy Carrie wrote about. I could get my mountain woodland without stressing Kay’s garden creativity. No more worry about that over-the-top tropical stuff invading my tiny faux northern woodland garden. I don’t think those big-leaf brutes can handle the cold in the AR hills. I wouldn’t have to waste time on the computer looking for that elusive, perhaps mythical, lily-of-the-valley cultivar that can handle our summer heat. I could go camp out there when the 3-digit temps arrive here. You could have the south room here when the winter winds howl there.

You could grow your own oranges, peaches and pomegranates with ease. I could have my own walnuts and pine nuts, maybe cherries and European plums. (That is, if your birds and squirrels don’t get greedy.) You could have a tropicals bed every year without the trouble of pampering and coaxing to get them through the winter. You would have your own source for yearly replacements.

I’ll hang on to some of the Damson plum seedlings to plant there. (Kay just informed me they won’t grow here. It has to be one of the Japanese varieties. European types can’t take the extreme heat. Should we plan on pomegranates in your garden? Do you eat pomegranates? What should we call your garden?

Pushy? Me?

Kay only got a special keyboard designed for VI’s on New Christmas. The computer itself just arrived. Until she is accustom to the new system, I’ll have to tape up her mouth to keep her out of trouble with the ladies from church. Happy New Year, Everyone! (Jim)

Ozone, AR(Zone 6a)

Jim, That is a serious temptation. Let me think about it. I've already got a nice small bldg that we refer to as the condo.Has everything but running water and a bathroom. but everyone spends most of the time in my house anyway.
Have pear trees,hickorys,oaks,Muskadines,and others.
I would probably love pomagranits. I also have a mystery tree. I know a neighbor gave it to me tho she does'nt remember doing so and does'nt have a clue what it is either. It has purple leaves the fruit looks like a minature peach. I wont eat any since i don't know what it is.
I also have tame muskadines that puts Kudzu vines to shame.
Have plenty of birds and squirrels to share my bounty with.
Kay has got to come too of course. Would love to pick her brain for Native American lore and receipes, besides the fact shes a fun person.
You just leave Kays mouth alone. She does just fine.
I thought Kay already had a special puter. Glad she got a new one.
Think i'm finally winding down. May can sleep soon.
Goodnight all and Happy New Year.
Vickie

Ya-a-y! Re-established my doorway into cyberspace. The new system did not want to recognize the router. That had us stumped for a while. Jim was the one who needed the tape over his mouth. He was so frustrated. I learned Japanese phrases that are probably not in any Charles Berlitz language course. (Jim was stationed in Okinawa for 3 years and often worked with Japanese computer techs.) Here is one that might come in useful. “Ichee baun taksaun bakatari” (spelling very questionable) Nadine tells me it literally translates as: Number 1 crazy in the head. I’m sure he was referring to the computer designers and not to the intelligent and thoughtful suggestions WE offered. :-)
Jim is concerned the S.A.D. is getting its hooks into you, Vickie. (He recently read somewhere that depression can slow and adversely affect physical healing. Be thankful all he thinks you need is warmth, sunshine, pretty flowers and interesting new things to eat. He is in what my daughters call his “smother-mother man” mode.
I wish sunshine and green things were what he believed I Needed! The S.A.D. mainly affects my sleep patterns. Jim has decided to fix that for me.
He pulled me out of bed at 5:30 New Year’s morning to go shopping and put me to bed at 9:00 last night with warm milk that had a bit of the Irish in it. Smother-mother man mode is like if you combined Aunt Bea with a drill sergeant. Not much I can do about it since I’m on his case to lose the extra pounds. But, one of the rights of an Amargian proxy gardener is to set Jim straight by proxy when he does the smother-mother man thing. Which means, I can’t lay into him on my own behalf when he is beneficently overbearing, but I can do it on someone else’s behalf. Please let me know if you require that service. The fact that I might choose to do it at 5:30 a.m. would be totally coincidental, of course. LOL.
Still cold, but we do have some sunshine today. I’m going out to take advantage of it. (How do people deal with all the rain in your part of the world, Paul?) If it doesn’t stop soon my crops will have to be moss and bog plants. Hope everyone’s New Year is going well, so far. *Kay*

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

Vickie, i think your mystery tree is an OK Purple Peach. I got mine from Tazzy in OK a few years ago. It bears well but the fruit falls off before it ever ripens. At least not what I think of as ripe. I'm sure it is very edible.

It is true that S.A.D. and other depressions slow the healing process. Depression releases negative hormones into the system that blocks healing. Sunlight and Vit. D are probably the best treatment. Warmth helps too. B12 is known as the energy or feel good vitamin. All the B vitamins are good for energy and many other health issues.

When you have to go outside and there is packed snow or ice, YakTrax make for good traction. They are a coil of heavy wire wrapped around somethink like a bungy cord. Heavy rubber straps goe up over the toe and heel of the shoe and a strap over the top of the shoe about 1/3 of the way back from the toe end with velcro to hold it on securely there. If you get the right size it will be quite hard to stretch over your shoe so it is best to have a pair of dedicated shoes and just leave them on all the time. There are 2 styles(?)of them. The regular ones are $20 & the professional ones are $30. I chose the $30 ones for more traction.

GOD bless and keep each of you.
EvaMae

Ozone, AR(Zone 6a)

Thanks guys. I suspect SAD may be creeping up but i will fight it tooth and nail.I spent the night touring europe via live webcams.Lots of snow in the alps. Sunny beaches in Spain.Even snow in holland.I'll be fine as long as i don't give in to a pity party. Am hoping you all will keep me in check pity party wise.
I keep wondering about Carrie and Steph. They sure are quiet.
Kay everyone needs a touch of smothering at times.I've always been a hugger and after DH passed I'd hug my dog, After awhile he'd disappear if i even looked like i'd hug him. Bless his heart. DH always welcomed a hug.
No sleep last night. No banana jam either. Those bananas refuse to get ripe.
Maybe tonight.If not i'll just use unripe bananas.
Do any of you use Tylenal(SP) for Arthritis. There is a recall for the bottle with a red cap that has 100 tablets.
I did make a sugar free chocolate pie. before i try to sleep,i'll put a small roast in the slow cooker. I forgot to get a bag of potatoes so when the roast is about cooked i'll throw in some frozen Frenchfries.I've got a cup of potato salad but decided since i'll be eating it....better not put it in the roast.LOL
See ya,
Vickie

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

Vickie, the roast sounds good. Even the frozen french fries in place of the fresh(?) potatoes. I've done that and it worked out ok.

I don't use Tylenol(acetaminaphan?)for arthritis because it does nothing for inflammation so it really doesn't help arthritis at all. It only masks the discomfort. Aspirin, Ibuprophen, Naproxin, etc. are antiinflammatory meds that actually help reduce the inflammation that causes the arthritis pain.

I have some red and black beans and rice with some ham in them cooking. I hope they are cooked soon. I want to eat some before I go to bed. I'll take some to work for lunch tomorrow.

I came home from work and shopping to find the water lines frozen. My son who lives next door to me had called while I was gone and asked if I had water. I called him back but I don't think their answering machine took the message. They almost never answer the phone themselves. I left for work yesterday morning & took the van to a garage to have the back brakes worked on. It wasn't finished yesterday so I stayed with a DD in town last night. She took me to work this morning and picked me up afterward to take me to get the van. My 4 dogs & 2 cats were in the house all that time. I knew when I left yesterday that I might not be home last night so I took a suitcase and clothes with me and left the animals with plenty of food and water.

Must get ready for bed. GOD bless and keep each of you.

Winston Salem, NC(Zone 7a)

My mother reports good results from the Tylenol - arthritis (formula) that her MD recomended. Personally, I prefer Ibuprofen. The most important concern for anyone using any of these painmeds or NSAIDs is to never exceed the recommended dose due to liver toxicity issues.

gentle hugs all around!
~Sheri~ ^_^

Midland City, AL

I will have to remember about the water pipes here tonight, Since hard freezes are so rare, nothing is insulated. Folks here will put an old lamp or droplight next to outdoor faucets, but I think it is too cold for that method to work tonight. Thanks for the reminder, Leaf. (Jim)

Midland City, AL

Ooops! I didn’t think about the faucet on the SE corner of the house. Kay has that corner draped with clear plastic sheeting over a PVC pipe frame to protect the citrus and bananas growing there. Evidently, the heater didn’t automatically go on the way it was supposed to. That faucet burst today when it was turned on. Still, had an easier job than your poor Kyle does. EvaMay. It got up to 53 degrees and I was working in the sunlight. The Owari, Clementine oranges and Key Limes look like they will survive with only some leaf loss. All the leaves on the bananas shriveled, but the trunks didn’t turn to mush so they will recover. Luckily, it was set up so the exhaust from the clothes drier helps warm the enclosure or we would have lost everything.
Vickie, don’t tell a worrywart like me you are considering driving somewhere despite the snow and ice, and then not post anything! I don’t care if it is a Bronx salute, give me a sign your okay.

Like most of the people here, Kay still considers 50 degrees cold. But, she got out long enough to prepare a planter to plant sweet peas and cleared the suckers and badly angled limbs off a Bradford pear. I like the early show provided by ornamental pear trees, but don’t think I would want more than one. I would probably prune it with a chain saw, but one of the grandchildren grew it from seed. She loves birds and calls the fruit “birdie pears”. I’ll have to watch this summer to find out if birds actually do eat the fruit. Kay is concerned that the dead leaves are still hanging on the chestnut, instead of dropping. I think that is normal for chestnuts, but will check the web to find out anyway. (Jim)

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

Somehow we ended up with 2 #2 threads by the same name. The other one is getting all the posts.

Midland City, AL

I goofed up when I created Practical Matters #2 and did not catch my error until after it was published. I wrote "for Physically PHALANGED Gardeners and requested Dave delete it because I did not know how to edit after publication. It isn't like a post. But, certain ladies, who shall remain unnamed here, decided to have some fun at my expense. Said ladies adopted my unwanted, orphan thread before that happened. It is the "Gossip about Dave/Vent your frustrations thread. What do you think I should do? I think they are finished venting and gossiping about Dave for the moment. Do you know how to delete an entire thread or change its title? (Jim)

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Ask admin, who are pretty busy at the moment.

Midland City, AL

It is almost time to start "Practical Matters #3. I understand if threads get too long it is difficult for people still using dial-up so I'm not going to sweat over changing #2. The problem will rectify itself. I will just make sure to use spell check next time before I hit "Send". DG's house elves can do the housekeeping chores when and if they feel like it. No need to stress out our cyber house elves. We just have to remember what we've learned from watching Harry Potter and not give them articles of clothing. Wouldn't want a house elf revolt. (Jim)

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

LOL.

Ozone, AR(Zone 6a)

Jim, Can you describe what a cyber elf looks like? Know i've got a couple but don't know if i'd recognise them.LOL

Midland City, AL

Cyber House Elves are elusive creatures. I've never actually seen one, but I believe in them absolutely. In my mind, I picture Dobbie combined with clasic computer geek. Maybe, taller. (Jim)

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Wait, which is the real thread? Phallenged or Challenged?

Ozone, AR(Zone 6a)

Now Jim, I know some cyber geeks. They are neither elusive nor shy.They would most likely be found in the middle of I40 giving their critics computers away. So your cyber elves are probably hiding in your garden art having wild partys just waiting for warm weather to run off with all your garden art down a freeway.

LOL Carrie, at this point and time in February. Some of us have no idea just which thread we're on. So forgive us. We'll come back to sanity in March.
Leaf, Are you still here? And has anyone heard from Steph(scraps)?

Midland City, AL

Presenting the ONE & ONLY Practical Matters for Physically CHALLENGED Gardeners #3.
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1077214
I'm cleaning up my own mess so DG's house elves can party on. I hope they like pink flamingos. (Jim)

Ozone, AR(Zone 6a)

Jim, How would those flamingos look with a purse of petunias hung around their neck? Seriously. Would that be too cutsy?

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

Vickie, I kept my word to Dave. You know where I can be found. I'm hoping the rest of this family will find the forum by the same name over there. I really miss you.

Bolingbrook, IL(Zone 5a)

I would like to put in a comment about Tylenol. One of my daughters had a recent Liver transplant. She was actually on deaths door when they found one for her. Talking to the doctors there - Loyolla University, Chicago - they told us that 80% of the people who have liver transplants there are there because of Tylenol. I think your body cannot process it very well so it builds up and destroys the liver. Yet the advertisments make it sound safe enough even for children. Tylenol is in every thing. Headaches meds, cold meds, ache meds.
The message I think he gave us is to use Tylenol sparingly.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.