Seeds for Catnip Walker's Low?

Long Island, NY(Zone 7a)

Does anyone know where to buy seeds for the Walker's Low variety of catmint? I'd like to try wintersowing them.

Thanks.

Saint Bonifacius, MN(Zone 4a)

If it were a true botanical variety, seeds for same would exist. However Walker's Low is a cultivar, meaning every Walker's Low catnip is identical. It is only propagated asexually via cuttings, not seed. Seed would not produce the same plant.

If you find someone claiming they have Walker's Low seed, don't believe them. Plants grown from seed from Walker's Low may or may not be similar.

Long Island, NY(Zone 7a)

That explains why I can't find seeds on any of the sites I usually buy from! Is there a recommended way to take cuttings and generate more plants that way? I already have 2 Walker's Low growing in the garden.

Thanks!

(Sheryl) Gainesboro, TN(Zone 6b)

I gotta tell ya, Peckhaus - those puppies are *very* easy to propagate from cuttings. Probably much easier than seeds!

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

You can divide Walkers Low, or it propagates easily from soft stem cuttings in early spring.

(Clint) Medina, TN(Zone 7b)

I rooted some of these in July. I broke a piece off and just stuck it in the ground in full sun. LOL.

Silver Spring, MD(Zone 6b)

Carolyn Aiken has a beautiful blogspot called Aikens House and Gardens and her gardens look like Brochardt Gardens. She lives in Prince Edward Island, Canada and she has lots of Walker's Low plants. I've heard her say she makes more plants out of divisions. I'm dying to have some too. I could have sworn I'd seen some plants offered in some of the flower catalogs. Try bluestoneperennials.com website, it says the seeds are sterile..I'm looking at mine as I type this information. 3 plants for $16.95 Spring 2010 catalog. Hope this helps! I want some too! Grows to 30 inches. Spreading to 3 ft. wide.

(Sheryl) Gainesboro, TN(Zone 6b)

I got mine from Bluestone on their end-of-season clearance. Thought for sure that they'd never make it through the winter so I put bricks around them and laid an old window on top of it - 2 out of 3 made it and spread to about 1.5' in one season. Very tough plants - and as everyone says, very easy to propagate.

Now I'll go check out that blog - thanks for the hint, Pippi.

Silver Spring, MD(Zone 6b)

Make sure you have time to see all of her blog..all months. I haven't checked it out in about 3 weeks and I'm sure all the plants have been put to bed but it's still on her blogspot. Beautiful and she's pretty good with a camera, and creative in decorating as well as gardening. Lovely lady! Do the slideshow of her gardens. You don't want to miss any of it!

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Pippi, If you make it out to the MidAtlantic Swap this spring, I'm sure someone will have some Walker's Low for you. Almost all of us grow it. You can request some on the swap thread.

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

Here is the link to her blog

http://warrengrovegarden.blogspot.com/

Enjoy

Janet

Chalfont, PA(Zone 6b)

Holy heck. Those warrengrovegardens are amazing. I'm going to share the link withe cottage garden forum. Just breathtaking - and so inspirational! Thanks for sharing Janet!

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

no problem

Janet

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Beautiful link

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.