TRAGEDY

west midlands englan,

Gordon Brown was visiting a primary school in North Yorkshire where he looked in on one of the classes. They were in the middle of a discussion related to words and their meanings.. The teacher asked Mr Brown if he would like to lead the discussion on the word tragedy. So the illustrious leader asked the class for an example of a "tragedy"
A little boy stood up and offered:
if my best friend who lives on a farm,is playing in the field and a tractor runs over him and kills him that would be a "tragedy"
No said Brown........That would be an accident.
A little girl raised her hand :
If a school bus carrying fifty children drove over a cliff killing everyone inside that would be a "tragedy".
Im afraid not explained Mr Brown thats what we would call a great loss
The room went silent. No other children volunteered. Gordon Brown searched the room. Isn't there someone here who can give me an example of a tragedy?
Finally at the back of the room little Johnny raised his hand, In a quiet voice he said If a plane carrying you and Mr Darling was struck by a "friendly fire" missile and blown to smithereens that would be a tragedy.
Fantastic exclaimed Mr Brown Thats right. And can you tell me why that would be a tragedy?
Well says little Johnny It has to be a tragedy because it certainly wouldn't be a great loss and it probably wouldnt be an accident either

This thread has 2 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!