DG Idiot

South Boardman, MI

Ok so now I have a ton of seeds and I am trying to research (on DG) when and how to plant. Is there a easy way to do this? I have spent an hour looking for specifics on one flower/plant. it will be May before I am through if I keep doing this. There has to be an easier way with this site. I tried gardeniology.
Yvonne

Dearborn, MI

There is a lot of germination information on the Benary seed website for annual and perennial seeds. Also Jelitto seed company has good info on perennials.

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

Hi Yvonne,

All seeds are different and require different methods to germinate. One rule of thumb is to figure out when your last frost date is outside then count back the number of days/weeks it takes that particular seed to grow to plantable size. That is when you start the seed. Some seeds germinate in a few days. Some take weeks. Some of the harder to germinate take months. Some need light to germinate so you sow them on top of the soil. Some need darkness so you plant them down into the soil. Rule of thumb is you plant the seed down in to the soil about 4 times the size of the seed. Some seeds need a cold period before you plant them to germinate so you either broadcast them in the fall before winter or you can fool them by placing them in the refrigerator crisper drawer for six or eight weeks.

I know this all sounds confusing. You have to know the requirements of the seed you are wanting to grow. If you get anxious and start them indoors too early, they'll germinate and grow spindly and you won't have a strong plant to put out. In winter, our days are much shorter so you need to supplement the amount of light your seedlings get to grow a strong plant. The light needs to be almost on top of the seeds in the beginning and as they grow you move the lights up away from the seedling. That way the plant won't "stretch" to the light and become weak and spindly. Most seedlings need 14-16 hours of light to grow strong.

Having said all that, most of the seeds I start under lights I begin around the first of April. That gives them time to germinate and grow into a strong plant before I set them out Memorial weekend. That is my last frost date but the last two years I've had to run out and cover up plants because of a late frost. The seasons seem to be changing so keep your eye on your temperatures for your area. A good rule of thumb is when the nighttime temperatures are consistently above 40 degrees for two weeks it is safe to plant ............ but there are always exceptions so make a website like accuweather.com your guideline. Have things you can cover your plants with handy for those late frosts. I save gallon plastic jugs with the bottoms cut out. I keep them in big cans in the old barn. They are great to set over a plant in the ground to keep the frost off of them. Just remember to uncover them the next morning.

What plant are you trying to grow from seed? Maybe I can help you with that.

South Boardman, MI

So thanks Loon for the info. However, I am looking for info on specific seeds and plants. You know when you buy a pkg at the store it gives you info on when and how to plant. I am sure DG has this info. I am having trouble locating the info in a timely manner. Like I said I have tons of seeds, but I guess I want to see a pix and and have info on when to plant and if I need to start indoors. Some of the seeds are new to me. I guess I'm looking for directions how to use DG to get all the info I need. For example, someone sent me "Cinammon Vine". Not sure I can even grow this. But when do I plant it and where does it grow best? I have several seeds that I have never heard of and some only are labeled with the common name.

Sanford, MI(Zone 5a)

Did you go to communities and go to the seed forums they have lots of info there and will help you find what you need ;0)
Gloria

South Boardman, MI

So, here are a few of the seeds I have and would like info on:
Candy Lily
Black Eyes Susan Vine
Pinnk Swamp Milkweed
Aronia.....etc

South Boardman, MI

I'll check it out
DG needs directions and a GPS

Sanford, MI(Zone 5a)

only one I'v grown is the Black eyed Susan vine I started it in the house in March Just stuck it in the soil and watered I had it under grow lights did great
Gloria

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

To acquire growing information you must have the name of the plant you are trying to grow. Here is the information for the Cinnamon Vine

How to grow Cinnamon Vine (Dioscorea)
Cinnamon vine can be grown from either tubers or seeds. the seeds should be planted at a depth of 3mm at the end of September or on October, whereas tubers should be buried at a depth of 8cm following the last frost of spring. Dioscorea can be grown in either a partially shaded or sunny area of the garden that has good drainage and a deep soil.

Caring for Dioscorea plants in the garden
As Dioscorea are climbers they should be provided a trellis to grow upon. You can grow Cinnamon vine seedlings indoors first, they take about three to six weeks to germinate at 21 to 24 degrees Centigrade. They should be moved outdoors in the middle of spring. Once growing provide plenty of water. If you require more plants then cuttings can be took, or the plant can be divided in the autumn.

South Boardman, MI

Thanks for the info. i want to plant some seeds today

Yvonne, where are you looking for the information you want? You didn't provide your zone - that would be helpful.

Dearborn, MI

Let's give this another try. The seed companies usually give you the information about their seed. Try www.harrisseeds.com. Under flower seeds on their menu, select annual or perennial choices, then the seed you are trying to start. They then tell you the temps you need and whether that seed needs light, etc. Let me know if this is what you are looking for.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.