Dealing with Crown Gall (Help needed)

Boise, ID

So after posting a picture of what I thought was just a tuber with a strange growth I find that it's actually diseased with crown gall. The problem is when I didn't think much of the tuber and packed it away with all my other tubers in a bucket. Now the different tubers are not touching I have them separated with quite a bit of vermiculite and sphagnum peat moss. I was just looking for suggestions on what I should do with the other tubers that weren't diseased. I was thinking of pulling everything out of the bucket separating the tubers and packing all the tubers that were pretty close to the infected tuber in paper bags with new peat moss. When I packed them away I sprinkled and rubbed sulfur over most of the tubers but I wouldn't say they were completely coated. Would that help? Any suggestions would be most welcome on how to deal with this. I'd hate to have to throw out about 12 or so tubers because of my inexperience with gardening.

Parkersburg, WV

edewit.
I am no expert but I just read the thread where you posted pic and went to the page that was about Gall article. I would think I would first destroy th tuber with the gall, then remove all the tubers stored with them. would make a light bleach solution and soak each tuber in the solution for half an hour or so then let them air dry.

The artticle said Copper powder might protect from the disease, so when tubers dry I would dust them with some copper powder, and then store them in some different peat moss or what ever you use. I would get rid of anything used for storage that the root gal infected tuber was in. Do not put on any soil you would use to plan in later.Article says it will infect a host of different plants. I would send to local landfill. I would refrain from planting any tubers where that tuber was as the article stated the pathogen lives in the soil and wait for another host to attack.

Just my thoughts on problem. Maybe someone with more experience will give some advice. And GOOD LUCK, have a Merry Christmas also.
taj

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Sorry I can't help with crown gall edewitt :( Welcome taj12 ^_^ I don't recall chatting with you before; but no worries if so cuz I'm not known as nut for nothin ^_^

Boise, ID

After looking at my thread title I feel like it was promoting some sort of support group.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

edewitt welcome to Dahliaholics Anonymouse ^_^

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Edewitt: check out this link for leafy gall and click on the bottom link for crown gall as well.
http://apps.rhs.org.uk/advicesearch/Profile.aspx?pid=211
I don't think it's all doom and gloom for your tubers, but Taj's advice to avoid replanting in that soil is good and similar advice is given in the linked article.

As for your packed up tubers, the most I would do is dig out the gnarly one, repack it separately and not worry about the others in that bucket at this point. But that's because I'm old and tired of tubers at this time of year :)

Boise, ID

Well I'm in a predicament then if I'm to avoid planting where the tuber got crown gall.I have limited space and I'm not really sure where exactly I pulled that tuber out at in the area I have all my tubers. I was thinking that a local store of mine has the copper powder in a concentrated liquid form. Think it might help around the beginning of spring to maybe treat the area with said copper treatment since I really can't plant the tubers anywhere else in my yard? Here's the area I have to plant at the moment.

Thumbnail by edewitt
Boise, ID

I am planning on removing about a 4-5 ft. wide strip along the front of my yard as well though for more room for more dahlias.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.