happy birthday scraps!

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

I noticed you said in a post about what your husband got you for your birthday - I went and checked, you meant today! Happy, happy birthday, you bring joy to so many people!

Thumbnail by carrielamont
mulege, Mexico

Have a great one, Scraps. Enjoy your new house. You've worked hard for it and deserve to enjoy it.

hugs, katie

Lena, MS(Zone 7b)

Thanks Carrie and Katie, It was a great day. DD#1 and the kids came and brought me a cake that the kids helped make and we all had a great visit and then opened Christmas presents. Hubs played about 10 games of go fish while us ladies did the dishes. I think he loved it about as much as going fishing. He had a big grin on his face. I got 2 crock pots. I had put out the word that mine quit working. Now I can cook several things while I am out in the yard playing in my new yard this summer. One is huge, I could probably put a small turkey in it.LOL.

Merry Christmas everyone,Love and Prayers, scraps

SE/Gulf Coast Plains, AL(Zone 8b)

Happy Birthday, Steph! Jim says I should make you a birthday cake and he will eat it for you. (He is such a considerate person.)

Any man who can play that many games of "Go Fish" with the kids and not go glassy-eyed or get grumpy, is a keeper. I think you should tell him you expect a battery operated drill driver next year though. Much more versitile and easier on the wrist. A pretty orange one. *Kay*

Lena, MS(Zone 7b)

Merry Christmas Everyone,

Kay, don't let him mess up his diet on my account. I am proud of anyone with the willpower to diet because I have none. Would you believe the hubs played "Go Fish" with his niece and nephews tonight at the Christmas get together at his parents house. He sent my daughter back here for the cards so he could play. They only had time for a few games before mealtime but they had fun. The kids will never forget either. I remember my aunt playing with us. Those are the good kind of memories. You are right, he is a keeper because after 20 years of training him I am not ready to start over. He is the second one I house trained. The first one got away but I would like to keep this one. LOL. Have a great day tomorrow. May God Bless you and yours with a Merry Christmas. Love and Prayers, Scraps

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Oh Steph, I opened my BEAUTIFUL scarf today and WOW! Beautiful! Thank you again!!!!

Ozone, AR(Zone 6a)

Steph, I'm so sorry i missed your birthday. Hope it was great. Aren't crockpots wonderful?
Hope everyone had a great Christmas. I found out it takes twice as long to do serious cooking with one hand. But i got to laugh at myself. Think my dogs laughed at me too.
Had a good day. injoyed my family and the rich food. My gifts to everyone was a favorite dessert to take home.Which is why i've not been online...too busy cooking.
Vickie

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

I'm sorry I missed your birthday,Scraps. It sounds as tho you had a good one as well as a good Christmas. GOD bless you richly in the coming year.
EvaMae

Midland City, AL

My official "happy Birthday" wishes. Glad it was a good one and many more!

Kay’s oldest GD got it in her head when she was small that since Christmas was like Jesus’ birthday party, he should have a birthday cake. It has been one of this families quirky Christmas traditions ever since. Well, at least Jesus let me eat HIS birthday cake. LOL. A few slices anyway. Angel Food with strawberry filling, topped with Dreamwhip! A hedonistic, glutton just can’t win these days. I haven’t lost any weight over the holidays, but I didn’t gain any either so far.

Here, you can have this well-tested slow cooker recipe, instead of a cake from us. You even get to eat it yourself. This one is my personal favorite. I think I will give my vegan step-daughter a slow-cooker and this recipe. This one is easy enough even she can’t mess it up and I am guaranteed something I like to eat when I visit. Something that doesn’t involve
tofu or chickpeas. In case it isn’t in any of those booklets that came with your slow cookers…..

1 Pork Roast, about 3 lbs.
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 20 oz. can pineapple chunks with juice
1 can cranberry sauce or 1 ½ cup dried cranberries.

Just rub the pork with the salt and pepper. Put the roast in the cooker. Pour the chunk pineapple with juice and cranberry sauce over it or sprinkle the dried cranberries. Cook covered 6 to 8 hours. Pretend it took a lot of effort. It tastes so good people will believe it. Enjoy the kids and try not to overdo. Remember, you still have New Year's Day to get through.

All the best,

Jim

Ozone, AR(Zone 6a)

Jim, I gotta try this one. Fruit and meat definately a good thing!!
Everyone has to eat blackeyed peas NY,s day to bring goodluck the whole year. Picked that superstition up in E Texas.

Midland City, AL

I never encountered that tradition until I came south. Kay usually makes a black-eyed pea dish called “Hoppin` John.” But, my oldest SD, a Houston native, always makes me something she calls “Texas Caviar.” It’s like pickled black-eyed peas. The Hoppin` John is good, but I could happily make a meal of nothing but T.J.’s Texas Caviar and saltine crackers or corn chips and some salsa. (Jim)

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

i have recipe for and have eaten Cowboy Caviar a couple times. I'm not a fan of blackeyes peas. Not sure if I remember what Hoppin' John is tho I'm sure I've been told. We never had any New Year traditions. To my family and Jack's it was just another night of the year.

I went back to work today. Tonight I am really tired. So I'm mostly dozing in front of the TV or on the computer. 2 more days then 3 off before going back to the normal work MWF & off TTS.

GOD bless and keep each of you.
EvaMae

Ozone, AR(Zone 6a)

I bought a can of hoppin john this month. I'd never heard of it. But it sounds good has BEPeas and rice and green peppers.
I've had Texas caviour. It was ok.
Eva Mae, take care in this cold weather. I just realized you broke your wrist too. How long did it take to heal? Did you wear a brace?
It's snowing now. Probably snowing in MO too.
Night all

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

Regarding my wrist, I was in casts for almost 3 months then a heavy brace for 3 months, then just use the brace when I was straining the wrist. The doctor told me it would take a full year for the bones to completely heal. It has been almost 13 months now and at times it still hurts a bit. The bones were scattered into many pieces and the fracture collapsed in on itself so it is crooked and rather odd looking but still very functional.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

I'm glad it works - that's all most of us can hope for most of the time.

Ozone, AR(Zone 6a)

Thank you Eva Mae. It's nice to have a better time schedule.The Doctor just seemed concerned it was'nt healing. Gee whiz it took yours a long time to heal and it must be normal healing. Mine is only in a heavy brace.i feel alot better that it will eventually heal. It'll just take time.I'm especially glad to hear it's functional.I do not like being one handed tho it could be worse.
Since you know the consequences, i know you'll be extra careful on this ice.
Carrie, you're so right.
I'm going to try and walk more and see if it will help my breathing if i'm doing more.

Winston Salem, NC(Zone 7a)

With all my computer problems I missed your birthday, Steph. Please forgive me. I love you and have missed our frequent contact like in the past. I immagine you are nesting and enjoying our new home.

Love and prayers,
Sheri

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

I was more or less 1 1/2 handed. lol I couldn't lift, pull, push, etc but had full use of my fingers. The people at the store were amazed at what I managed to get done while wearing a cast or brace.

Lena, MS(Zone 7b)

Hello,I am sorry everyone my computer works sometimes and don't sometimes. Has a mind of it's own. I am not knowledgeable about it so I just have to wait on my cousin to keep it patched up or figure out what we are doing wrong. Bless his heart for fooling around with us. He probably does not answer our calls unless he wants deer meat or fish for payment.LOL Will see you guys on the accessible forums. Love and Prayers everyone.

Jim Thanks for the recipe I will have to try it out. Sounds yummy. I love dried cranberries.

Birdie It is good to be back sorry I missed you and Thanks for the phonecall.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.