Citrus

Raleigh, NC

I'm a composting novice. Been chucking all our kitchen waste (not dairy or meat or grease) in the bin.

someone just mentioned to me no citrus either. Gee, really? we always have a very clementines this time of year go bad before they can be eaten. and orange and grapefruit peels, lemon slices after they've been in my tea, etc.

Portland, OR

I compost everything, including citrus. Never had a problem. Maybe because of the size of my pile and that it is pretty hot, don't know. If you have a hot pile, I think you should be ok.

One thing that I know for sure. Composting in a pile on the ground (can be surrounded by something for asthetics) is much better than composting in a bin. Much easier for the microorganisms in the ground and worms to access the pile and break it down and the open air is good for it too.

However, I know this isn't an option for everyone, just saying though.

Raleigh, NC

was thinking about creating a pile. have 4 bins now.

Mid-Cape, MA(Zone 7a)

I just toss my orange and lemon peels into my compost bins--they always break down eventually. They might take a bit longer (depending on whether I've cut them up into pieces) but in the end, everything rots.
I have heard that you shouldn't put many citrus peels into vermicompost bins.

Deep South Coastal, TX(Zone 10a)

We have grapefruit orchards so lots of citrus goes in our compost pile but our neighbor said it's a no no. I haven't had any trouble with it. I figured it would make it more acidic which my garden needs anyway.

Raleigh, NC

ah, well, my garden needs less acid.

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

At one time, there was concern that oak leaves made compost acidic. Lately I read that when the compost is all done it will be neutral--I expect the same is true with typical homeowner citrus scraps.

Moscow, ID(Zone 5a)

I've been adding citrus for years - never had a problem, and my compost finishes neutral. They break down faster if cut into small pieces.
I'll bet the worms like the fresh citrus scent in their digs, too.

Saylorsburg, PA(Zone 6a)

I have always added citrus peelings to my compost with no problems. Then today I read in another thread that if you do lasagna gardening you shouldn't add citrus as you are building the pile. Does anyone know why that is a recommendation?

Deep South Coastal, TX(Zone 10a)

Texas A&M says it's okay to compost citrus, best to chop it first.

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

think the citrus 'warning' is just a bit of wrong info that's gotten passed around. There must be a human weakness for thinking we are subject to dire consequences from some small choice. Why so easy to think that the waste from an edible fruit (no part toxic that I know of) could be extremely harmful?

Raleigh, NC

well, I think lasagna layering isn't very deep, right? Fruit smell from citrus is strong smell, maybe would attract a lot of unwanted critters? just a guess.

I'll stick to putting it into the bins and piles. I haven't tried the lasagna beds yet, but we have for years and years top-dressed existing plantings with manure and compost mixed, then the winter mulch goes on top of that. That's how we all have such nice azaleas here.

Mid-Cape, MA(Zone 7a)

SallyG, I found an compost-discussion source on the net which indicates that you are correct in your surmise that the "citrus warning" is a more of a myth that just got passed around:

http://mailman.cloudnet.com/pipermail/compost/2004-December/012727.html

Heck, I believed it myself!

Sacramento, CA(Zone 9a)

I also found this nice little blog entry about the myth of not composting citrus:

http://thedesertgarden.com/2009/03/composting-citrus-and-citrus-peels.html

Raleigh, NC

this is fun info!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.