Little larva in the water?

Deltona, FL(Zone 9b)

Hello everybody, I am rather new to hydroponics. Just for some fun I am growing a couple kinds of peppers hyrdroponically for the winter and today I was checking the nutrients in the water and noticed there are little tiny larva floating on the top. When I scoop some out and look with a magnifying glass it almost reminds me of mosquito larva but way small. Anything I can treat this organically? My peppers will be ready to harvest soon. Thanks!

Vicksburg, MS

I have seen a similar problem and it may very well be mosquito larva. If you have a good idea on the amount of liquid, try mixing in clorox bleach to a 10% level and it should kill the larva. If your nutrient is more than 4 weeks old, you may want to pump it out and make a new solution.

Moss Point, MS(Zone 8b)

Podster uses ground up garlic to repel skeeters from the pets water. Said the pets don't mind it.

Bleach only lasts for a few days if it's in the sun.

Hanceville, AL(Zone 7a)

Do fungus gnat larva get into the water like they get into the soil? I am new to this and was just wondering. Luciee {;^)

Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

I'd say it's mosquito larvae, too - drop a portion of a mosquito dunk in the water - available at any box store.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.