Coffee Break #27 - Return of the light

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

Coming from here:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1062427/

Well we're officially in winter. That's the bad news. Good news is, form here on out we get more daylight every day for the next six months! Gotta look on the positive side.

Race car driver, Jimmie Johnson, was named athlete of the year for '09 by the AP. Athlete??? Maybe if they called it sportsman of the year, but athlete? That's just silly. Should a fisherman be considered? Archer?

Questa, NM(Zone 5b)

What a bright, sunny day it is here, too.

Chess player?

Eastern Long Island, NY(Zone 7a)

Of course a fisherman should be considered, the timing, the strength, the accuracy of the fishing cast are all extremely hard to master. The touch necessary to cast a 4oz weight with 15lb test line 200ft without breaking it involves a certain amount of finesse and coordination! Years of practice go into these skills! Standing in waders in a surf involves balance like the balance beam! Then finally hooking a 400lb marlin and hauling it to the boat is an extremely physical task! Even a 50lb striper will give you a fight you wont soon forget! All things considered it's a wonder there hasn't been an international uproar as to having fishing included in the Olympics! Hopefully that will change soon!! (lol☺)

(Archery is already in the Olympics so I assume archers are already considered athletes.)
Chess is not considered a physical sport methinks..

Edit: (Race car drivers sweat a tremendous amount while driving with all the fireproof stuff they have on, they have to be in physical shape to take the dehydration and g-forces while driving their cars.)

It's so exhausting I usually bring a chair along to rest if need be! (hee hee!)

This message was edited Dec 21, 2009 1:49 PM

Thumbnail by WaterCan2
S of Lake Ontario, NY(Zone 6a)

For DH's 50th I took him to the Michigan speedway and he drove a formula 3 car. He said it was hard to hold his head still in the wind.

Great points, WC! That's cool, Deb.

NYC cabbies do everything Nascar drivers do, plus frighten pedestrians, cook their dinner, make up driving rules - only to disobey them, while speaking every language except English. Nascar guys are not even in their league.

Thomaston, CT

Prayers, Jen----try asking for a compassion flight---might help. The only car accident I was in was in a cab in Boston----cabbie hit a PARKED car---had to take son to ER as he had a cut on his face-----he was about 8 at the time----anyway, cops wanted to know if we smelled alcohol, but we didn't. Leaving the hotel, I told the next cabbie son was scared to ride---we had a very slow careful ride to train station.

NYC cabbies always leave me with white knuckles, I hate to look out the window & see the way they cut off other cars! lol!

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

i had two memorable NYC cab rides to the airport - one guy was going 90 to 100 and weaving in and out of traffic - pretty scary - i just mentioned that i thought he had missed his calling - he kinda looks at me in the mirror not understanding what i meant - i told him that formula one using runs their race courses through cities and he would be a natural - he slowed to a respectable 70 mph after that.

another guy is taking me to the airport in the morning, i think on a saturday as there was not much traffic - i'm in the back reading a book when i hear a shotgun go off - i look up to see the windshield completely covered and the driver with his face up to the windshield looking through a small space he can see through - we pull over - it was not a gun shot it was the hood of the cab that filled open and slammed on the windshield - we both get out we grab the hood which had broken off and put it in the trunk and continue on our way to the airport - guy never said one word or looked at me during this whole episode - still makes me laugh thinking about it - not the first time that hood had come off i believe.

Questa, NM(Zone 5b)

Friends of mine don't like being the passenger of my car when I drive. They say I drive like a cabbie! Hardly!

Love your fishing story WC! I don't know which I like better, yours or Bill's about the cab driver and broken windshield.

lol! ☺!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I agree with the WC. You carefully parlay with the fishie by whirling your five of diamonds enticingly over the shoal and OH there is a bump and then OH a nip and THEN GOT IM. Then you let him run but let him know whose boss but let him run some more and then you reel and reel and reel him in and THEN he sees the boat and swims away as fast as he can almost ripping your arms out of their sockets and then you start all over again. Finally when you are both exhausted you feebly wave a net out over the side of the boat hoping he will flop in and TA DA! you have a little lake trout which you release cuz he is too little.

Questa, NM(Zone 5b)

Ah Ha Haha ha ha!!!! That was hysterical dnut!

Funny dnut....... I have met a few race car drivers. Dale Earnhardt Sr. Bobby Allison, Rusty Wallace, Ken Shrader, Richard Petty, Steve Parks, Rickey Craven, Shawna Robinson and Buck Ownes :-) After all the years of racing in the family - I hate it. I would rather go on a boat and catch a minow.

I am now starting a 3 day journy. Making the Stuffed Shells...... arghhhhhh

Just read that a guy who totaled his truck and was arrested for DUI, was allowed to write off the damage on his federal taxes. Can you believe that?

Anyone have any pagan or druid carolers come to the door yesterday? I didn't. Solstice is so commercial now...

The real 'Rain Man' died on Saturday. I saw a number of shows about him. He was truly amazing. His aging father always worried who would take care of his son when he passed away. At least he does not have that worry anymore.

... yeah but now he has a broken heart!

- Awesome list Schicken! (I don't like racing either. ☺)

True.

2-1/2 hours and my feet are broke. The sauce is in the pan and not even boiling yet.

Questa, NM(Zone 5b)

"Just read that a guy who totaled his truck and was arrested for DUI, was allowed to write off the damage on his federal taxes." He must have some awesome job where he gets to drink and drive and get paid for it. I didn't think you were allowed to write off expenses unless it was work related.

Sherrie, what kind of shoes do you wear? All I wear nowadays are my Crocs. My feet, legs and back hurt less when I wear them.

Was his personal truck. Not job-related.

Questa, NM(Zone 5b)

I figured that, but how can he justify it? Just hope he doesn't get audited?

It was approved by a tax judge.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/story/print?guid=64c49ee4-5263-4f5f-9508-27b3af1b44ed

Questa, NM(Zone 5b)

That's so ridiculous, I could spit.

Face away from the wind.

Thomaston, CT

Sherrie, the shells will be worth it! I haven't made any in a year---I'm getting lazy about cooking! Harper, you didn't scare me when you drove, but on my road, 25mph is about it!

Questa, NM(Zone 5b)

He he Marilyn! I'm a very safe driver. In NYC, you do have to get somewhat aggressive if you want to get anywhere. I think the friends that complain about my city driving are just nervous in general about city driving. It's crazy out there!

I'm indoors Vic. No wind.

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

Sounds like if I every make it to NYC....... i'll need to be drugged if im in a car. ^_^

No need for a car in Manhattan.

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

Is that a good thing? If I have to hail a cab, I want it to be the Cash Cab!!

Me too.

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

You watch it Victor? I like to watch CC and Jeopardy while im folding clothes, I call it my daily brain excerise. ^_^

Once in a while.

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

I have a hard time not to yell out loud at the TV, sometimes there are some dumb people on CC! lol

I wear sneakers. Started at 6:30 this morning and I am just sitting down. I have rubbed 189 balls - not once but twice.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Thanks to you all for thoughts and prayers for my mom. She had her heaven homecoming on Monday morning. We have to fly to GA next week for the funeral. I waited to tell everyone so I could get thru typing without crying as much.

Huron, OH(Zone 5b)

Oh, Jen! You have my condolences. Wishing you a safe trip.

Land of OZ, CT(Zone 6a)

Jen--I'm so sorry...you are in my thoughts.

Thoughts and prayers for you and all the family, Jen.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.