CLOSED: A Sparrow !?!

Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

I've never seen a Sparrow near my feeders, in the winter time.
Can't decide, if it's a Tree Sparrow , Chipping Sparrow or the Beige colored White-throated Sparrow. Is it out of range for my area, this time of year?

Thumbnail by burn_2007
Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

second pic.

Thumbnail by burn_2007
Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

another one.

Thumbnail by burn_2007
Sandusky, OH

Could be wrong but all look like Female House Sparrow's.

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Yep, female House Sparrows

Resin

Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

Thanks , I never did check for that one. First time, I have it in my yard. I knew they were around though.

Irvine, KY(Zone 6a)

Looks to me like a field sparrow. It is too pale to be any of the others mentioned. Are bill and legs somewhat pinkish in color?

Thumbnail by sunfarm
Irvine, KY(Zone 6a)

Here's another picture of a field sparrow (on right) with a chipping sparrow (on left). Notice how much better-defined the brown cap and eye stripe are on the chipping sparrow. I still think you have a field sparrow visiting you. We also have both the black& white and brown race white-throated sparrows here in Kentucky. The brown ones are darker than your bird.

Thumbnail by sunfarm
Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Still House Sparrow for me!

Resin

Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

I got a better pic of it. It's more brown than grayish. I tend to go with a House Sparrow, after checking for it in my book. I've added a closer shot, and didn't resize the pic. and I'll send another one with the feet, but it's further.

Thumbnail by burn_2007
Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

with the feet.

Thumbnail by burn_2007
Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

closer side view.

Thumbnail by burn_2007
Marlton, NJ

Hi burn, It's a female House Sparrow.

Sandusky, OH

Agree female HS.

Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

Going with House Sparrow then, thanks.

Whiteside County, IL(Zone 5a)

Can't believe this is the first time they've been at your feeders! 80% of the birds at my feeder are house sparrows!

any sign of redpolls?

Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

No Redpolls yet or the Grosbeaks. Still waiting and watching closely.
The Evening Grosbeak were here the 1 of Dec, Followed by the Pine Grosbeak on the 6. The Redpolls only arrive the 22, which would mean sometime today :))

Whiteside County, IL(Zone 5a)

ooo… so anxious!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.