wish list

Somerset, KY(Zone 6b)

I'm wishing for a few seeds more for my garden. I've found several Clematis that I'd like. Can anyone help me?
If anyone has anyone of these can we work something out?
Rouge Cardinal
Josephine
Henri
Midnight showers
Crystal Fountain
Empress
Franzisha Maria
Blue Light

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I can't help you with seeds...but those are all named cultivars and most likely won't come true from seed. I'm sure they'd still be pretty, but might not look exactly how you're expecting them too.

Somerset, KY(Zone 6b)

Thats interesting! I'll have to remember that. So It would be best to get plants, not seeds.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

It depends--if you want to guarantee that the plants will look exactly how you expect then plants or cuttings are best, but sometimes it can be fun to grow things from seed and see what you get.

Somerset, KY(Zone 6b)

Might be interesting to see what I get from seeds. In one of my swaps I received Clematis
virginiana and jackmantii seeds. Will they be true or do I get a surprise. I like surprises in the garden as long as it does not have 8 legs, is crawly and making webs. My sister has to come out and rescue me from those.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

C. virginiana is a straight species so those will come true. 'Jackmanii' is a named cultivar like the others so there aren't any guarantees. Sometimes you might get things that look pretty close to the parents, other times maybe not. You never know until you try!

Somerset, KY(Zone 6b)

So now my question is; When do I start the seeds. I'm using my the bathroom as small greenhouse and so far I have rose cuttings starting to grow, iris and am seeing if I can root an Oakleaf hydranga, I'm used to Calif and being about to garden just about year round. I miss that and need to have something to watch grow. So the bathroom setup.

Minneapolis, MN(Zone 5a)

Well, depending on how close another species/cultivar of clematis was to the C virginiana when it was flowering, the seed may come true and it may not.

The C. 'Crystal Fountain' is a patented plant so you should just buy a plant. If you are a fairly experienced propagator, then you could try your hand at cuttings, but they're not all that easy for the home gardener.

I started seed of Clematis texensis and it took 3 years for the seed to germinate, so there is some patience involved in growing Clematis from seed.
Good luck!
Mike

Somerset, KY(Zone 6b)

THREE YEARS!!!! I think I should just buy plants.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.