Help! Seed pod on fall rebloomer.

Ellerbe, NC(Zone 8a)

Hello all! This is my first time posting on this forum. I have just gotten started collecting Iris in the past few years and have a small collection of about 50 cultivars. I have no experience with seed pods....this is my first. It is a great big fat seed pod on a rebloomer named "Clarence" that bloomed in October. It is still green, but our temps have consistently been dipping below freezing at night and it won't be long until the day temps will follow. Should I leave it on the plant? Cut it and bring it inside? Is it a lost cause and should I just forget it? I'd really like some seedlings..
Thanks
Roxanne

South Hamilton, MA

Bring it in. the seeds should be mature & will progress no further in the cold.

Raleigh, NC

always glad to see another gal in NC loving irises like I do! I'm a member of ENCIS (Eastern NC), a chapter of AIS, American Iris Society. Would urge you to check out www.irises.org NC is in Region 4.

If you are interested in irises and need local help, you are located about mid-distance between Charlotte, Greensboro and Raleigh, right? Well, there's a very active group in Charlotte you could contact with questions. would bet their meetings might be closer for you to get to.

ENCIS has members from Greensboro east, but most of our meetings are in Raleigh. The Region4 spring conference is coming up in Greensboro. Most meetings have an iris show open to the public, too.

I've started hybridizing, but I've not had any pods on fall rebloomers yet, so I could not answer your question. irisMA would know, so take her advice. There are a slew of AIS members on this forum, several are hybridizers.

South Hamilton, MA

If seed don't germinate, at least it gave you practice in starting them. Look for pods forming in July.

Raleigh, NC

on rebloomers, maybe. I don't have any pods in July, Lucy, as that's our dogdays, extremely hot and humid. Most my rebloomers begin rebloom beginning in August. Spring pods start setting in mid May and are pretty much mature by July.

South Hamilton, MA

mature in July is when they can be harvested, should be ready by then.

Raleigh, NC

sorry, thought you wrote "form in July."

editted to add: av_ocd_girl is likely to be milder in climate (for cold) than here, unless she's at higher elevation, and even earlier than mine. So she might have pods form in April.

have noticed with rebloomers, have few bloom in June, none in July here.

This message was edited Dec 23, 2009 3:26 PM

South Hamilton, MA

seems that I did--should have said formed by July

Raleigh, NC

ok, so that wasnt' a senior moment for me. LOL!

Ellerbe, NC(Zone 8a)

Sorry I never got back to this thread..... Life got in the way. Haven't been on DG for a while.

The pod turned out to be hollow. This was a rebloomer that was just moved to a new spot last spring, so it missed it's early blooming and didn't bloom until much too late. Oh well! Don't really have room for seeds anyway.

Bonjon: I'm in the middle of the state, about 30 mi. north of the SC. border. I belong to a daylily club out of Greensboro, but my daylilies are usually past their prime by the time they have their annual show. It's amazing the difference 80 mi. can make in your growing season.

I just may have to check out the spring conference in Greensboro. LOVE, LOve, Love flower shows.

Raleigh, NC

well, I know two of the gardens on the tour should put on quite a show. One is Dr. Epperson's. We're also touring a hybridizer of azaleas and rhodys farm. He's also a koi breeder. it should be a "walk in the park" kinda day!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.