New for 2010?

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

This past fall,I planted a NOID(from big box store)white blooming mophead,Lemon Wave and Lady in Red. For spring,I'm planting Lemon Daddy,Masja ,Painter's Palette, another Lady in Red and some more NOIDs received in trades. What's on your "New for 20101" planting plans?

Peggy

Somerset, KY(Zone 6b)

Vanilla Strawberry Hydrangea, Limelight and Pinky Winky to start with. I'm going to plant them in the front yard. What a show stopper display I'll have and I can see them everytime I look outside.

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

I have Limelight but they're about to be dug up and given to friends. They just won't bloom for me. Pinky Winky,I've heard of but I'll have to "Bing" the Vanilla Strawberry

Troy, NY(Zone 5b)

Pinky winky gave me attitude so I think I am replacing it with Vanilla Strawberry. My limelight is a keeper. I want to add a couple more of the cityline series. They are compact and at this point all I have room for. (unless we do finally find a house with a bigger yard)

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

Just "Bing"ed VS....Oo-Ahhhhhh! That one will go on my "Gotta Have it" list.

There's a new h.nigra out that has more space between the leaves and HUGE pink flowers. Name escapes me at the moment. I'll go look for it.

Somerset, KY(Zone 6b)

I found the Vanilla Strawberry in a catalog from Jung Seeds & Plants. They also have a climbing hydrangea that I'm going to get.

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

Just got my Jung catalog yesterday.

Traded for some climbing hydrangea cuttings earlier in the year. Gonna be a while (sleep-creap-leap)before I see blooms on them.

Rosemount, MN(Zone 4b)

I just planted a Pinky Winky hedge this fall. I am hoping they do great and bloom like crazy. I am going to purchase LimeLight this year for my front yard. I keep hearing over and over in these forums, how great the LL hydrangeas perform. Now I have to see if I can fit in the VS somewhere. I also planted a climbing hydrangea which the rabbits mowed down before I could 'treat' it for rabbits. I have to figure some sort of climbing material for it because it is by a chain link fence which is not correct. I was maybe going to let it crawl around the ground for cover - we'll see. It's a little stumpy starter right now. grrrr rabbits and rodents.

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

I got Endless Summer in 2009 and have been trying to make newbs of it and so far have three in pots.. hoping they survive the winter and will make more off the momma thats in the ground if she survives. Need coffee grounds.. she turned pinkygreen on me from blue. Kinda reminds me of Berlin when it does that.

PinkyWinky sounds cool.

Bluestone has Harliquin, Mars, Blue Bunny and a climber that you would love P, its called Firefly.. its varigatered But dont say what the flwoer is.

Rio and Paris in BS is nice too. Edgy Hearts and All summer Beauty are winners in my book tooo, but I doubt I will be getting any this year..
The carpet shampoer is biting my budget!

Thumbnail by BLOSSOMBUDDY
Hurst, TX(Zone 7b)

Biting the budget, hu? Add to the carpet shampooer, the vet, the elfs that went shopping a few days ago, the dentist, visitors, etc ........ , but at least we are all somewhat healthy! Happy New Year y'all.

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Well, yeah, I can now add the dentist and the doctor, they took the place of the elves that was sposed to go shopping, and the LP guy cometh, the hay guy is coming and I woke up to a flat tire on the PU.. so ok.. no drangeas for me.

Did I mention groceries!? So much for the carpet shampooer...

Im going back ta bed.. it was allllll in a dream! LOL! Yes, visions of hydrangeas... all in a drrream.... zzzzzz......

Thumbnail by BLOSSOMBUDDY
Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

BB, careful making new babies from that Endless Summer. Patented.

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

No all about that.

Somerset, KY(Zone 6b)

Anyone seen the Frosty Cherry Hydrangea from Michgan Bulb Co.

Starkville, MS

If anyone is having trouble with Limelight, I recommend trying the old plant Paniculata Grandiflora, usually referred to as PG. I am not sure that you will see much difference as this plant has the green blooms also though not quite as long a period as the other ----but is a better bloomer for me. I have had them for years, and they always outdo the Limelight that I have. The problem is that I have not seen a PG at a nursery in years. Luckily, they root easily, and I have donated many to all my friends. Maybe you can find someone with a plant who will share. If I can figure out how to do it, I will attach a blooming picture. (At 77 new technology is a tremendous problem.)

Thumbnail by shirleyd
Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

I can't get my PG's to bloom. Been in the ground for years and I've only seen a couple blooms on two bushes so out they go this spring for something more reliable.

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

P have ya tried a severe whaaking back before you kill them? Sometimes shrubs need a good clobbering to about a foot tall to come back on new growth.

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

I've done everything to them....nothing works.Next spring they'll be a headache for one of my garden club members.

Troy, NY(Zone 5b)

My PeeGee is a blooming machine. It does need more sun than other hydrangea and make sure it gets some fertilizer in the late spring.

My DH powerwashed the deck and broke half the stems last spring. The only thing that happened was it grew more stems and DH lived this time.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Red, you're too warm for paniculatas to bloom well. 8 is the warmest zone it will bloom in, and often will not bloom well there.

But you have so many other hydrangeas you can grow that we can't :)

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

polly,
wouldn't ya just know it...DARN!

Hurst, TX(Zone 7b)

Red, I have wondered about the lack of paniculatas where I have lived. I even speculated if they might need more cold weather. But nairy a nursery (locally) sells them and no one in the stores can explain why they do not sell them (when I ask). Go figure. Only one nursery had some for sale. One time in the last 28 years though!

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

I saw my first ones blooming outside the Childrens Hospital in Little Rock....just covered in blooms. LR,I believe is zone 7 and I'm 8.

Has anyone grown 'Blue Bunny'? It sounds nice - blooming on new wood - but that what I thought about 'All Summer Beauty'.

Somerset, KY(Zone 6b)

Is it alright to plant my hydrangeas where they will get morning sun than filtered to full shade during the hottest part of the day?

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Yes.

Somerset, KY(Zone 6b)

Next hydrangea question. I've alotted a 6 foot x 8 foot area for each of my three hydrangea. Is this enough room or should I give them more? I know it will take awhile for them to get that big, but I don't want to crowd them. I thought I could plant annual around them for now and as they grow, I'll plant further away from them.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Which ones are you getting, Marti? It'll make a difference.

Somerset, KY(Zone 6b)

I'm getting Vanilla Strawberry, Limelight, and Pinky Winky.

This is a picture of the front yard. I'm going to plant them along the front fence and spaced out down the front. I have 14 feet between the fence and the trees. The hydrangea will have morning sun, mid-day filtered sun and afternoon shade. I figure I'll plant foxgloves between the 2 trees.

Thumbnail by marti001
Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

7-8 foot apart would be ideal for those.

I think that will be a lovely area for them.

Vanilla Strawberry is a new Bailey intro, and Bailey is wonderful company, but beware of where you are purchasing them from. I know Jung seed is selling them, but they are not highly rated on Garden Watchdog.

http://davesgarden.com/products/gwd/c/106/

Somerset, KY(Zone 6b)

I have a 48 foot front to plant along. So I measured it out and spaced the three of them down the fence line, but back five feet from the fence. The dogs run up and down the fence and I don't want my plants hurt. I'm planning on fencing the dogs in the side yard so they can get to the front door, but not into my garden. The shade garden in the front yard will be fenced off from them also. My sister has a mini dachund and Mojo, who is 1/2 pitbull and 1/2 blue tick hound. Problem with him is that he never meets a stranger. He thinks anyone coming in on the property is here to play with him and he runs in circles around them as the stamp their feet. Even the meter reader has learned that Mojo is more than friendly and when he comes in to read the meter he plays with Mojo. Mojo just loves the guy.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

We had a dog like that. Bandit never met an intruder he didn't like. And they can do a number on plants.

Somerset, KY(Zone 6b)

yea they can. Thats why I'm fixing to fence them out of the garden are. I plan to run a fence across the yard from the side fence to the trailer and off the back of the trailer to the back fence. They will have a good size yard, but will not get into my garden or along the front fence anymore.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Can't wait to see pictures. The hydrangea paniculatas grow quickly.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.