Amaryllises of the Mid-Atlantic: Share your blooms!

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

We started chatting about amaryllis bulbs & blooms on another thread and thought the topic needed a thread of its own, with lot of room for photos!

So... please share your winter amaryllises with us! They're so pretty during the holidays, and I love the way the huge blooms brighten the house during those gray February days.

I have a lot of buds right now, so photos will be forthcoming, I hope!

(photo is from last year, a cutie that I grew from a swapped seed)

Thumbnail by critterologist
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

WOW Critter, You grew that from a seed? How long did it take?

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

A couple years back, I did a pair of articles on planting amaryllises http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/364/ and on growing them along to bloom next year http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/468/.

Please share your planting/growing tips as well as photos!

What kind of amaryllis are you growing this year? I have an assortment, but I especially like double forms, and I've added some minis this year as well as trying some "exotic" ones that I think might have really cool blooms.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I think it was 4 years until I got blooms. There are 3 or 4 bulbs surviving from the 5 seeds I got in that swap (don't know who put them into the "pool"), but I don't know which ones until they bloom since the amaryllises downstairs have mostly lost their labels, LOL.

Here are the seedlings in March of 2004.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

We have a new storage cabinet in the morning room, and its top is a perfect place for sprouting amaryllis pots and other plants! They don't seem to mind that it gets a little chilly by the door, and they get good light in that corner. I don't have to turn the pots as much either, as the stalks bend toward the patio door in the morning, then they bend the other way as the sun moves around, and it evens out fairly well (although the stalks are seldom actually straight at any given time, LOL).

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Look at the differences even when they're in bud... 'Red Peacock' (on the right) has an enormous fat bud on a stalk that must be an inch in diameter. 'Giraffe' (left) has an elongated, sort of elegant looking bud, as does 'Ruby Meyer' (hiding behind the poinsettia), and 'Scarlet Baby' (first photo, to left) has a lot of red even before it opens (the stalk and bud are very cranberry colored).

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

Very nice, critter.
I have grown Red Lion and Apple Blossom, the usual kit ones. I used to do the dormant thing but bloom was not as good. I found by trying that they are mostly cold hardy here with some help. They made offsets easily but my lack of fertilizer must keep them from blooming. They also take more sun than I've heard before. If I have survivors again after winter I'll give them a really rich spot with more sun.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Mine from last year that didn't get planted out last summer don't look so hot. I'm hoping they'll bounce back and put on some bulb growth if I plant them in the (sunny, irrigated) deck bed next summer. Meanwhile, I'll try to remember to water them more often and add a little Miracle Gro when I do.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Here is a pic of those Bright Sparks, Too bad they started budding in the bag. They are really beautiful and I had planned to plant all 5 in a pot and give them as a gift. Well I did plant all 5 in a pot and I will get to enjoy a few nice blooms but there are several very stunted and limp stalks. Certainly not something I could give as a gift. Although I find this pretty I generally prefer pink and my friend prefers red. She will end up with the Appleblossom instead.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS

here's my Zombie.

Peruvian daffodil is a close relative of Amaryllis--I have not yet gotten my Peruvians to bloom either. I asked for advice and was told FERTILIZE!

Thumbnail by sallyg
Central, VA(Zone 7b)

Here is one of three I got from MamaJack's Nacho usual Amarylis co-op. This is the red peacock. The other two are way behind. They are Bogata and Benefica, only about 1/2" or so out of the pot.

Thumbnail by Pamgarden
Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

My Benefica is slow, also... but such a huge bulb, I can't wait until it takes off! So far, there's just the smallest green nub showing, and I guess I'm hoping it's busy growing roots, LOL. In the photo above, it's in the big white pot behind the 2 little terra cotta pots with flower bud-stalks

Central, VA(Zone 7b)

I see it back there. That's about where mine is too, and as you said it is a really large bulb, so it should be worth the wait.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

It's one that I saw at the Keukenhof last spring, and I just loved the clear deep red color of it.

NORTH CENTRAL, PA(Zone 5a)

Here is one I captured from Lowe's late in the season last Christmas. It put on a pittiful poor display last year. When I started it late it looked like death warmed over.
When spring came I sunk it in the edge of the compost pile in semi-shade and just stepped back. It made a nice leafed out bulb. After frost hit it this past fall I dug it and saved it for potting up about four weeks ago. Looks to me like it is going to put on a nice bloom this year. The bud is up there about a foot and still growing. The leaves are just starting to peek at me. I believe the bulb grew about a third larger than it was last year.

In keeping with Lowe's low buck big deals I think this one was just called Giant Red.

Thumbnail by docgipe
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I just couldn't bring myself to give my friend a pink am so I picked up a new red one from Lowes Yes Doc I think it just said "giant red" It was in a nice glass jar with black pebbles, the bulb looked good and it was well started but not blooming yet. She just loved it. I am enjoying the Bright Sparks that I was planing to give her. They aren't good enough for a gift but 4 nice blooms and somemore comming. I gave the apple blossom to my Mom and one of the pots with 3 zombies to another friend I am also giving her a DG membership. With two pots of Zombies, the one I got from Critter and 2 other extra bulbs in a separate pot and the questionable Bright Sparks.
Sally your Zombie look beautiful I can't wait till mine open.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Yippee, I have a couple of new ones starting to open today!

Here's 'Scarlet Baby', a mini that's maybe 16 inches tall but one of the clearest true Christmas reds I've ever seen... deeper color than 'Red Lion', just special!

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

'Scarlet Baby' is the one I mentioned above that has a lot of dark red or burgundy color on the stem & unopened bud, also.

Here's a closer look, just for fun:

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Here's another neat one, 'Giraffe', just opening its first bloom.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

That pale green background is so unusual, and I love the thin red edge outlining the petals...

Chadds Ford, PA(Zone 6b)

Here is 'Najanja'. So far I have 2 stems, and I noticed another one coming up (bloom, not leaves).
The bulb my friend gave me was the biggest I ever saw!

Thumbnail by Villiers
Near Lake Erie, NW, PA(Zone 5a)

Those are really pretty. Villiers, that is a lot of blooms! You will probably have to feed it really well before dormancy to get that many blooms next year. It should be tired after putting on such a show.

Well here is my Lowes on sale bulbs. The Paperwhites are starting to bloom, I think, if I look really close, I see a bud tip in the amaryllis bulb, it says Piquant on the box, red with a bit of white. Might bloom by Easter LOL

This message was edited Dec 27, 2009 5:37 PM

Thumbnail by ladygardener1

Hot digitti dog! Mine is pushing a second bloom bud.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

'Najanja' is a lovely soft color!

Doc, that always feels like such a bonus, esp if it's a bulb putting up 1 more bud than the year before because it appreciated the care you gave it!

More great stuff. My Zombie is still a knockout with all four flowers on second stalk fully open. Villiers, the Najanja is esp nice how it holds the bloom and that they are 'solid' --if you know what I mean, all face to the viewer..
doc, I'm sold, that'll be my formula in the coming year. Just may rescue some clearance ones if I have a chance.

Note to self: Amaryllis bulb to summer vacation next to compost pile. Thanks, Doc

Dad gum....I think I said, "by the edge of the compost pile". Nothing much grows "in a compost pile". Not if it is a good finished pile anyway. That would have been very rich garden soil blessed with more than ample blessings of compost being somewhat close to plant heaven. Secretary where are the minutes from hell that should keep everyone in order? LOL

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

No worries, Doc, I think LadyG said "next to" not "in" the compost pile! ;-)

Ok Doc, I did read you right, It will go next to the pile, or maybe I should take some of the compost to the bulb as hubby will sometimes sift compost for me and he might mistake it for a throw away plant.

I do get tomato and pumpkin plants growing in my compost.

Yes some seeds seem nearly impossible to kill with heat normally associated or achieved in working compost piles. I get even more weeds in my areas where the pile is not yet totally converted to compost. I just tramp them down and cover them up.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Most of what we get on the compost are squash, pumpkins.sorghum type corn, and thistle. The only one I disturb is the thistle, to prevent any seed production. The others provide cover and look nice over a pile of s---debris. Some times the plants look so good you hate to disturb the pile to get some compost. We have a rather large, pretty much passive compost. With adding the new beds and such as we did this year, we put a good dent in it. I try to roll the entire mass at least once in a season. I also add wood ash and manure when I have it. When it's ready to use I usually add a 4" pot of dolomitic lime to a bushel or so. I'd like to build 3, 4 yd frames, so I can speed up the process. I also need to find a local source for feed grade black strap molasses. Ric

Central, VA(Zone 7b)

Happy New Year all. Your flowers are gorgeous. Amazing colors, prolific, and healthy. I think I need to order one of each next co-op. I'm still waiting for my Bogata to bloom. It just started opening yesterday. A second bloom came out about ten days later than the first has caught up with the first. I'm afraid their blooms are going to get in one another's way. The other from 2009 co-op and from previous Christmas all have blooms at an earlier stage. What a treat.

Speaking of compost, We got a huge load of mulch last spring that has composted (right in the front yard) down to a gorgeous pile of black gold. It's gonna be great for the garden if the snow and ice ever melt. Black strap molasses, hunh? Would feed grade be what you would give to live stock?

Are you all ready for spring yet? I went to bed last night with my 2009 Bluestone catalog. It's all dog eared and has stickers on the pages of what I ordered and what I would like in 2010. With the internet, it seems I don't receive as many paper catalogs as I used to, and I miss having them to pour over. I'd love to have catalogs from Digging Dog and Annie's. Ok, back to the thread topic, I'll post a pic when my flower opens.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Yes Pam, There was a discussion on composting and you can get benefits by adding feed grade black strap molasses, you would probably find it at a feed mill. It boosts the bacterial activity. It's been awhile and I'm not sure what exactly what thread that discussion was on maybe Doc would remember?
WOW, How beautiful are these! Could you believe they called them Zombie?

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Very nice, Holly -- love how 2 stems bloomed together! We're not calling that one 'Zombie' LOL, we're calling it 'Joyanna's Amaryllis'. :-)

One thing I will guarentee you all. Someone can search and find anything. Me.....not a ghost of a chance. You are aware that I can get here. Don't assume to much more. LOL

Yes Black Strap Molasses can be found where they make cattle feed. Nothing has been processes out of it. By the time it reaches the big box food store much of what follows is processed out.

A dozen or more times I have posted what I now can not post. You will have to search for Black Strap Molasses if you really want to know what all it has in it. I'm starting the new year off in good shape otherwise. LOL

MY GRANDSON age fifteen just found it and applied "cut and paste" Mercy...don't get old.

MOLASSES COMPOSITION
UNITED STATES SUGAR CORPORATION
Molasses & Liquid Feeds Division
P.O. Drawer 1207
Clewiston, Florida 33440
09/29/03
Typical Composition of
U. S. Sugar's Heavy Mill Run Cane Molasses
Brix, spindle 86.0 degrees
Weight/gallon 11.8-12.0 lbs
Nitrogen 1.01 %
Crude Protein 6.30 %
Total Sugars 48.3 %
Density (as fed) 11.8 lbs/gal
Dry Matter 76.5 %
Moisture 23.5 %
Ash 16.0 %
Organic Matter 62.5 %
Reducing Substances, as Dextrose 11.5 %
Sucrose 35.9 %
Fructose 5.6 %
Glucose 2.6 %
pH 4.9 - 5.4
Calcium 0.8 %
Phosphorus negligible
(not for use)
Potassium 4.2 %
Chloride 2.1%
Magnesium 0.27 %
Sulfur 0.78 %
Sodium 0.09 %
Copper 14 ppm
Iron 130 ppm
Manganese 5 ppm
Zinc 8 ppm
Cobalt negligible
Iodine negligible
Selenium negligible
Biotin 3 ppm
Folic Acid 0.04 ppm
Inositol 6000 ppm
Calcium Pantothenate 60 ppm
Pyridoxine 4 ppm
Riboflavin 2.5 ppm
Thiamine 1.8 ppm
Niacin 500 ppm
Choline 700 ppm

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Close up of 'Joyanna's Amaryllis'. LOL
I planted two bulbs in one pot and the one you gave me in another. Each bulb has two stalks with 4 blooms per stalk. What a great show, it has been years since I had some Am's

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

LOL I knew DGers would "need" to know the cultivar name, and it's OK if you call it 'Zombie'! I didn't tell any non-plant-people its "real" name when I handed the bulbs around at her baptism celebration. ;-)

Jill, I will say the bloom does say "Celebration" It was a good choice.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.