when do you all order tubers and from where ???

Sanford, MI(Zone 5a)

okay I'm new and I want to get some for this summer so when and where are the best times and places ??? Any favs that you have that I could look at would be great ;0)
Gloria

West Caldwell, NJ(Zone 6b)

Try the Big List, online sellers listed open anywhere between August and January. Those with an asterisk have provided their 2010 lists to the site. There are plenty of good sellers on it. Best to order now if you want something not too common (you can tell by how many sellers on the list have it).

http://www.dahlias.net/dbiglist.htm

Sanford, MI(Zone 5a)

WOW thank you!!!
Gloria

Mount Bethel, PA(Zone 6a)

In the past, I have purchased beautiful dahlias from the co-op on Daves Garden. I think that they came from Ednies Bulbs (they only sell wholesale, I think).

The rest always come from Swan Island Dahlias.......simply breathtaking.

Regards,

Teri

Sanford, MI(Zone 5a)

thank you I will check into both I sure miss the OLD coops I dont realy understand the new ones ??;0)
Gloria

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Corralitos is one of my favorites along with Swan Island, Accent, Dan's Dahlias, Lynch Creek and a few others.

http://www.cgdahlias.com/

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Ferncliff Gardens is my fav.

Bill from Caladiums for less will be posting in the classifieds soon. I guess I buy from there since the co-op couldn't get off the ground. He starts January 4th.

Boise, ID

I've ordered from Swan Island and they had some fantastic tubers. Some of them can get pricey but the dahlia bushes end up being worth it. I think I'll be hitting up Accent dahlias and some others when I have some spending money again. Unfortunately the winter has been unforgiving on my car and I had some unexpected bills to pay for repair. If anyone knows where I can find "Myrtle's Brandy" and "Hollyhill Spider Woman" tubers I'd greatly appreciate someone pointing me in the right direction. I think this year I'm going to try and make some of my own hybrids, looks like quite a bit of fun. I've bought a few tubers off of ebay as well from sellers with a good reputation. They'll probably be quite a bit more auctions with variety in the coming months.

Boise, ID

And I forgot to mention I also ordered some dahlias from Old House Dahlias.

http://www.oldhousedahlias.com/

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

edewitt, and anyone else interested: the Big List is the go-to source that is kept pretty up to date for locating which vendors have which varieties.
Copy/Paste of those two varieties from that list. Both Accent (has both varieties) and Hollyhill are excellent, pleasant, and knowledgeable suppliers. Ask one of them about the crown gall/leafy gall thing maybe?

Big List link at www.dahlias.net the Colorado Dahlia Society website.

http://dahlias.net/dbiglist.htm

Happy Hunting!
Edited to say: BIG LIST, BIG LIST, BIG LIST as Tod had already pointed out, but I re-reiterate it again :)

HOLLYHILL SPIDERWOMAN *Accent Dahlias

HOLLYHILL SPIDERWOMAN *Elkhorn Garden

HOLLYHILL SPIDERWOMAN *Hollyhill Dahlias

HOLLYHILL SPIDERWOMAN *Homestead Dahlias

HOLLYHILL SPIDERWOMAN *Linda's Dahlias

HOLLYHILL SPIDERWOMAN *Parks Dahlias

HOLLYHILL SPIDERWOMAN *Red Hawk Dahlias

HOLLYHILL SPIDERWOMAN Dahlia Dandies

MYRTLE’S BRANDY *Arrowhead Dahlias

MYRTLE’S BRANDY *Homestead Dahlias

MYRTLE’S BRANDY *Red Hawk Dahlias

MYRTLE’S BRANDY BJ's Dahlias

MYRTLE'S BRANDY *Accent Dahlias

MYRTLE'S BRANDY *Clack's Dahlia Patch

MYRTLE'S BRANDY *FGL Dahlias

MYRTLE'S BRANDY *Sid's Dahlias

This message was edited Jan 1, 2010 3:51 PM

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

I just found this looking for Drummer Boy: rock bottom prices here, though I can't speak to their quality, it's worth an email inquiry if someone would be interested in a group of larger dahlias at low, low prices. Nine varieties WITH shipping for under $20. Incredible. Better than a co-op, but with limited choices.
http://www.farmerseed.com/detail.asp?pid=3420

Boise, ID

Thanks Poochella, it appears that Clack's has three dahlias I'm looking for. I just laid my eyes upon a rare dahlia named "Sellwood Glory" that's absolutely stunning. Let's hope they still have all these tubers by the time I get some money in my mitts.

Boise, ID

So I just ordered some more tubers from Clack's and Accent.

From Clack's Dahlia Patch I ordered

Alpen Cherub
Hollyhill Spiderwoman
Myrtle's Brandy
Rejman's Polish Kid
Sellwood Glory (I snatched up the last one)
Worton Blue Streak

and from Accent Dahlias

AC Rosebud
Carmen Lotus
Northlake Pride
Shinkyoku
Wyn's Eeekk!!

Both sellers were very easy and pleasant to deal with. Thanks for the assistance, Poochella. My yard just got a little bit smaller and prettier.

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Quote from edewitt :
Thanks Poochella, it appears that Clack's has three dahlias I'm looking for. I just laid my eyes upon a rare dahlia named "Sellwood Glory" that's absolutely stunning. Let's hope they still have all these tubers by the time I get some money in my mitts.

Sell your sod! It may not be at its prime right now, but you can promise buyers greener pastures in spring, while you get a stunning and colorful front yard.

Sellwood Glory is glorious!
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3652/3316166236_a3d81fdb10.jpg?v=0

Poochella - you are too funny: "Sell your sod".

Any property looks so much nicer with bountiful flowers!

Boise, ID

Or as the British may say "Sod the sodding sod.".

I just ordered a few from Blooming Bulbs because they had good prices and I don't really need any more unless my Swan Islands don't come up again when I replant them. I never know how they are going to overwinter in my garage.

I have ordered from Blooming Bulb before and am one of the people who gave them a positive rating. We'll see if I get lucky again.

I have to say I was offended by the von Bourgondien catalog I just received. I see this a lot with such sellers, they put Santa Claus into the "Dinner Plate" section. OK, I can figure this out fairly easily, I know how big the blooms are, but the copy in the catalog claimed Santa Claus was a 10 inch bloom! I wish! Maybe they came up with a mutant version? :)

PS - I order Big Wow clumps from them every year, and they are excellent, dahlias are one of the few things they seem to do right. But boy do they exaggerate.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

'Make it ups' irk me too!

Most of the catalogs lie to some extent especially with things like "blooms all summer". Sure if summer is 10 days long.

I do like their bulbs and dahlias, Tod, even though their writers do stretch the truth. Also, their coupon codes online are wonderful!

Boise, ID

Swan Island is pretty accurate with all their descriptions they tell when they're going to be late bloomers even most of the size descriptions are dead on.

I don't have the best sun, but I think in general the quoted bloom sizes are really if you disbudded and debranched the things (4 branches for AA, 6 for A, etc). Most don't tell you that.

Thanks for that bit of information, Tod.

Boise, ID

That package deal of 9 tubers from Farmer Seed for under $20 proved to too tempting and I ended up buying it. Thanks for the link. Poochella.

Just received my Swan Island catalog. Have some great prices for collections.

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

You're welcome edewitt. I hope they prove worthwhile for you. I'm trying to restrain myself to just two tuber purchases this year: one from Accent and one from a new (for me) NW seller- Jan's Country Gardens. But we'll see .... :)

Swan Island is always a sure bet. Check out their new variety "Sheer Heaven" shown on the catalog cover, then hold it up to good ole "French Doll" below. Same size, very similar coloration.

For those without the catalog "Sheer Heaven" Enlarge for best view.
http://www.dahlias.com/allthatjazz-item630-1-2-1-1.aspx

And French Doll. Pretty close aren't they? Right down to the little pink unfurling center petal marks.
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/165471/

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

Annie,

is that one tuber each order or two orders with mulitple orders? i wasn't going to order any this year but the Swan Island catalog bit me, so i had to bite back.of course I lost,they have my money now.

French Doll is a beauty.

I ordered one and then Annie sent me one and I won't be parting with either of them!

Thumbnail by pirl
Sanford, MI(Zone 5a)

Pirl that is a beauty I still need to pick some for this spring I just cant make up my mind ;0)
Gloria

Thanks.

Last year I bought from too many places so this year I'll be content (I hope) with just two places and try to avoid looking elsewhere. It gets massively confusing and those shipping charges do add up eventually.

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

That's just two places Greathorse, but why only order one tuber for all the cost of shipping?? Nobody can order just one, can they? What is really my challenge is that I have a third NW vendor, (new to me) order all printed out, check written, and I'm trying to stay focused on not sending it. My mantra is "I need to cut back." But my curious, dahlia-loving soul says "Try that one, try that one!" LOL And then I want to try Arrowhead Dahlias and Hilltop Gardens and Endless Summer all before I hang up my hoe...... but first, I'm trying to cover the NW and reporting to Garden Watchdog for all that DG does for us.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

ONE? TWO? I'll just insert the word 'dozen' in your posts after the ones and toosies you mention. K? That way you will be so proud when you are conservative ^_^

I have completed my 'list'. Now I am whittling and wheedling and ruminating because it makes me feel that I am working very hard to be prudent. I will do that for um er let's say a couple more days (while chewing my pen and my nails and my bottom lip) and scratching indecipherable notes in the margins. After adding a few '*'s and '!'s and a redline or two, the list will be Official and the clicking will begin. Note: I keep these wellworn lists as proof that I work very hard and therefore something MUST be eligible for a tax writeoff.

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

OMG! you can write that off? I should start keeping track.I'm sure my tax man would just wave his finger at me and say "I don't think so".
pooch, i was just kidding about the 1 tuber 2 tuber thing. I might be blonde and polish but...........I got sooooooooo many tubers this year, i'll definately be selling lots this year.

elb

Sanford, MI(Zone 5a)

I would love to buy some !!!
Gloria

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

O YOOOO HOOOO Poochie dear. Did you check out the most beautious white that Ferncliff has introduced this year? Miss Elsie http://www.ferncliffgardens.com/displayFlower.php?id=13162

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Of coursely I am bringing this to your attention not to enable you but for mental health reasons as you might be very stressed if it sold out and you HAD to have it and stress is a very bad thing.

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Oh thanks for looking out for my best mental health interests. I'd hate to end up in the dahlia nut house! Unless it was in Calgary to see your beauteous garden surroundings.

Miss Elsie is a beauteous flower but I've already ordered at least one white of similar size and form. Did you notice they say "Blooms early...." in the catalog? I hate that! What if it's true? How would I ever know without trying it?

More of your pen-chewing, wheedling, redlining, and contemplation practices would have served me well earlier because I ordered a tuber of one I already have plenty of in storage. What's that word: oh yeah, DOH.

Boise, ID

They have the Hillcrest Kismet and Hy Patti which look absolutely stunning as well. Why do you have torment me like that?

Pinellas Park, FL(Zone 10a)

STOP IT JUST STOP IT-I can't buy anymore!!! Now I have to look at all these places everyone has suggested...it's an addiction, I'm not proud to say.
It's amazing how this year I ordered all the ones I never thought I'd like-yellow, orange, semi-cactus, etc...Here's my list thus far:

Swan Island

Envy
Surprise
Bahama Mama
Cynthia Louise
Candlelight

Cowlitz

CG Coral
Ferncliff Pride
Cheyenne
Esmerelda
Kenora Macaab
Mingus Toni
Monet Glory
Papas Benji
Taratahi Ruby
Woodland's Wild thing
Wyn's Conquistador

Accent

AC Garfield (who here made me fall in love with this one?)
Wyn's King Salmon
Fidalgo Julie
Vanquisher
Penhill Dark Monarch (yay-looove this one)

Thumbnail by queequeg_1

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.