CLOSED: yoohoo, need your help...

Blackshear, GA

Is this ready to 'pluck'? Do I need to wait until it starts to open? I have never had a Dutchman's pipe seed pod before. There are 2 or 3 more but they are still green. Thanks for any suggestions

Blackshear, GA

Sorry, forgot the pic

Thumbnail by GAgirl1066
Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Paula - "Allow seedheads to dry on plants..." so sez the plant files

If you don't have the little sheer bags to place on the seed pod to catch the seeds, just get a gause roll and make a baggie and tie loosely around the pod and when it opens that will catch the seeds and just clip the pod stem to take it inside. This will keep birds and other critters from stealing your prize. It will get dry when ready.

Blackshear, GA

How do you know when it is ready? It sounds 'loose' now.

If it is making a sound, it should be ready. I'd grab it. The seeds are loose when it makes noise. And it should be a little dry but when you pick it let it dry more and then open it in an envelope to finish drying out.

Blackshear, GA

OK great. Thank you so much! One more...Can you go ahead and sow the seeds or do they need special treatment?

I sowed mine and they sprouted a few weeks later. They are now hanging in my greenhouse looking cute.

Blackshear, GA

Oh yea! I will give them another week or two to finish drying and then I will plant some.

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

mekos

would you have a picture you could post of your newly sprouted DP that you would post.

I had one this summer, the stem broke so I brought it inside and just let it dry out, but the berries were bright red and they finally rotted got soft, and I squeezed the seed out and cleaned them off and have them to plant next year.

I'm new to this plant and was wondering if it would be a good winter sow seed? Does anyone know? or have suggestions when to start it. I'm in zone 5a so even with the milder start to winter still can't do any planting right now which is why I was thinking of doing a winter sow with them.

I want these so bad....

Janet

Here are the aristolochia elegans and they are small but doing good. They are in the greenhouse and the lighting isn't great to see good, but hope this helps. I have another DP- Ringins but can't get to that pot right now.

Thumbnail by mekos

Janet, I have a few extra seeds if you want some to try to sprout another one. I have several babies but too small to move right now. Maybe this summer. But I may even have some seeds of the ringins too, but not sure. If you are interested, I can go look.

Orangeburg, SC

Wheres the pic of the bloom? :(

Newly sprouted babies don't have blooms.

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

mekos

Yes most certainly interested and I have a few say about 3 of mine, don't know the type as it wasn't labeled when I got it at a garden club plant sale this year.

If you want 3 seeds only have about 9 of them to try this coming year, just let me know

Janet

I have plenty but thank you very much. Send me your address by d-mail and will get seeds to you next week . If I still have any of the ringens, I'll send you a few of those as well.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.