Please Help! My tubers have sprouted in storage

Charlestown, RI

Hello all, been lurking since 05 on a many forums and I need your expertise. I live in chilly RI. I have a lovely salmon rose dark-leaved single type dahlia that I put iinto storage in my basement. It must have been too warm down there since I checked on them and long pale shoots are coming off the clump. I really want to save this one, is there any hope? and what can I do,, if anything, to save them. I tried to search this but couldn't find what I needed. Thanks for any help, this dahlia came from a bag of mixed and it was surprisingly lovely. One of those minor miracles that gardeners live for. Thanks again. Lynn

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Hi Lynn,
Do you have the clump of roots stored in something- sawdust, shavings, peat moss, vermiculite etc? You can unpack it, break off the shoots right where they emerge from the clump and tell it to get back to bed! The eyes will regenerate new growth next spring, no problem. You want to aim for cool (non-freezing) and dark conditions for storage, check for adequate or too much moisture every few weeks during the winter, and get ready to plant your beauty next Spring. The color sounds lovely!

Annie

Charlestown, RI

Dear Annie, Thanks for your reply. Yes, I have them in peat moss but my basements too warm. I'll have to find a better spot. Problem is it's 20 out and my garage freezes-I'll have to think about this one. I am so happy to hear that my tubers will be ok-thanks again. BTW I love your staking idea-will def. use it in the spring. Happy Holidays, Lynn

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Hi Gardencat. Some have put there tubers in a styrofoam cooler and put it on its side with the open end against an outside wall in their basement and it has kept them cool enough not to break dormancy. Hope this helps.

Charlestown, RI

Dear Dahlianut, Thanks, what a good idea! That may be just what I need to keep my babies sleeping through the winter. Sorry about the delay in responding-I've been compulsively buying seeds online and oh yeah, the holidays too! Hope yours are great. Thanks again for the help. Happy Holidays, Lynn

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

We're travelling NM and AZ for the holidays but checking in. Merry Christmas Lynn.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.