Mules (for Horseshoe)

Baker City, OR(Zone 5b)

Since you asked I will try to post some answers. Mules are very surefooted. Mine are in the corral so they are handy to work with, otherwise they would be out in the 70+ acre pasture. I have 2 at the moment, both about a year and a half old, too young to break for riding but I lead them around and teach them to they load into a trailer,let me pick up their feet, brush them and things like that. I raise them to sell. I understand that a mule needs less food than a horse to do the same amount of work. I haven't proved that because I always sell them when they are young. So far I haven't had a mule to ride but they can do anything a horse can do. Mules come in all different sizes and colors. I have a black bay and a palomino. They also can have pinto or appaloosa markings. I have had several buckskin mules. Mules have a reputation for being ornry. That was true before people with started breeding mares with nice dispositions to jacks with nice dispositions. Training methods have improved so the mules do things willingly and enjoy their work instead of being forced to perform. Also many old time mules were ugly, now most horses are not ugly so their mule offspring look better. Many people with registered horses are raising some beautiful mules. I don't think an ear of corn a day would feed any mule but it would make him happy to have for dessert. A mule is the offspring of a male donkey and a female horse or pony. A hinny is crossed the other way. Mules resemble donkeys more, with long ears, narrow feet, and a tail that has less hair on the top 1/2 to 1/3 than a horse has. A hinny has smaller ears, rounder feet and a tail that looks like a horse. A mule's voice is confused, he tries to bray like a donkey but can't, also doesn't sound like a horse. I've never heard a hinny's voice.

This thread has 19 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!