Cuttings from last summer

Ripon, WI(Zone 4a)

So how are your cuttings doing so far? I really need to start taking cuttings from my cuttings as they are getting too big. Here are a few pics from this week.

Thumbnail by goldfinch4
Ripon, WI(Zone 4a)

Thumbnail by goldfinch4
Ripon, WI(Zone 4a)

I really like how these lights help them keep their colors during the winter.

El Brighto

Thumbnail by goldfinch4
Ripon, WI(Zone 4a)

Watermelon

Thumbnail by goldfinch4
Ripon, WI(Zone 4a)

Curly Lemon Lime

Thumbnail by goldfinch4
Ripon, WI(Zone 4a)

A noid - anybody recognize this one?

Thumbnail by goldfinch4
Ripon, WI(Zone 4a)

Another noid - can anybody ID?

Thumbnail by goldfinch4
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Those look huge.
Mine are so cool at night ,they arent as big.I also keep mine short.
Cant find the pic.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I found mine.
I have them in 2 places, livingroom window and jacusie bath tub

Thumbnail by ge1836
Ripon, WI(Zone 4a)

You've got a lot of them too. I try to keep them pinched back but still need to do that more often. Wish I had a little cooler place to keep them, but I don't. Hope they hang in there til Spring!

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I went overboard with cuttings.
I'm new to it so next year I wont take so many and I will grow them in plastic cups.
Its trial and error here.

Stockholm, Sweden

It is a very fun hobby to collect coleus. I've been doing it for 15 years now.... I'm still doing my "trial and error" after all these years :)) There is always something to improve when coming to overwintering coleus...

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

If every cutting survives I wont have enough room in the garden.
I do give away plants to daughters and make gift planters for friends.
I hate to toss anything that's still living.Its bad enough when the slugs make banquets of them.

Ripon, WI(Zone 4a)

This is my first year and I got carried away too. But hopefully I will be able to use some for trades in the Spring. I think I took so many because I was worried I'd lose a bunch.... which could still happen I guess.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I feel the same way.I went for the optimum and hope I end up with enough for planters ,people, and garden.

Huntington, WV(Zone 6a)

goldfinch, what is the lance leafed pink and green one in the bottom left? I really like it.

Ripon, WI(Zone 4a)

Hi lexx, that one is "The Flume" and it is really different and pretty. Here is a picture from Rosy Dawn: http://www.rosydawngardens.com/the-flume-231.html

My colors were never as bright as their picture shows and my leaves are longer and narrower, even when it was outside last summer.

Ripon, WI(Zone 4a)

Lexx, here is a close up of mine. The colors are probably a bit muted because of the time of year and being in the house.

Thumbnail by goldfinch4
Huntington, WV(Zone 6a)

i think i prefer your colors. I never looked twice at it on the website. last year was my first time ordering from Rosy Dawn. I really like their product.

Newport News, VA(Zone 11)

Goldfinch, that is a sight for sore eyes! Thanks. It brightened my winter day.

Ripon, WI(Zone 4a)

Last year was my first coleus year and I ordered from Rosy Dawn too. I was very happy with their plants - and service.

Thanks Jada! They make me smile when I see them too!

Ripon, WI(Zone 4a)

Just ran across a picture of "Pink Confection"....do you think the plant in post #7376333 above might be that one?

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Your coleus are thriving, goldfinch! It makes me think mine should go downstairs under lights for at least a month. Maybe I could identify more of them if I did that.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I realized why my parent plants arent doing so well.
Its too cool in the bathroom for them,average nite temps of 56*
No matter I have plenty of litle ones for the garden.

Ripon, WI(Zone 4a)

Pirl, I was surprised at what a difference the lights made. I had a few cuttings last winter by a window but they pretty much just turned green until I took them outside in the Spring. If you have room under your lights, I'd recommend it (but I'm certainly no expert!).

ge, I think mine are at about 70 during the day and maybe 65-67 at night. 56 does seem a little cool. I'm sure your parents will be thrilled with anything you give them next year. I give my Mom a bunch too and she just loves em!

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I was referring to the Coleus I take cuttings from .My parents would be 100 this year if they were still around.

Ripon, WI(Zone 4a)

Oh good grief - I'm so sorry! I thought you were referring to your parents who had plants in their bathroom.

My parents are in their early 80's and my Mom still has a vegetable garden and loads of flower gardens and container gardens that she takes care of all by herself.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I'm 74 and still hangen in there.

Ripon, WI(Zone 4a)

I hope when I'm 74 I will have the ambition and enthusiasm you have!

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I'm like a shark,I die if I dont keep moving.

We have tons of lights in the basement and temperatures around 64 down there so that's where they'll go when the Christmas rush is over and I'll have the time.

My parents would be 114 and 111!

Greenville, IN(Zone 6a)

goldfinch4, I like your name BTW :)

Can you tell me the name of the orange coleus in your second picture of your stands that is so pretty and I love the oranges, it's the last one on the bottom shelf on the left.

All of your coleus look so pretty! Pirl has encouraged me to take a few cuttings this year, I have no where the amount that you all do this is my first year too but I think I'll put my cuttings under lights like that too until I get the stands full of seedlings around Feb. :)

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

welcome lebug

Lea - if you mean the furthest left on the bottom shelf I'll guess it's Sedona but goldfinch will let us know for certain.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Looks like Sedona to me too
Doesnt like it too cool or sunny.
I moved mine to the Livingroom 2 weeks ago and its charging ahead.
Until then it was not growing after pinching and leaves were dropping off, new cuttings were dying.
Its all good now

Thumbnail by ge1836
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

This is my recovering Sedona
sorry about focus.I cut my thumb a few days ago and cant press shutter without moveing.

Thumbnail by ge1836
Ripon, WI(Zone 4a)

Hi Lebug - welcome! Yes, Pirl and ge are correct, it is Sedona. Not quite sure how much I like it yet. It grew fast last summer but the color wasn't as bright as I had hoped. Kinda washed out. And it didn't hold up well at all in the wind. I'll give it another try this year in a new location.

ge, bummer about cutting your finger...hope it didn't require stitches. Your cuttings are looking good. Oh, and your shark comment above was cute!

Pirl, keep us posted on how they do when you move them to their new location.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

RD said Sedona like part shade,wont do well in full sun.Pix Ive seen of fully developed are stunning.

Ripon, WI(Zone 4a)

I may have had mine in too much shade. They looked better later in the summer than they did earlier.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I agree, mine was a cutting from a DG'er and was sent early summer.I never did get really big but I could see it as a background for dark purples so I took a few cuttings and hoped for more duering the indoors season. I doubt there will be anymore thab just what I have now.Its not a vigerous grower.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.