Another Bluebird thread

Stafford County, VA

Here are two in the same tree

Thumbnail by 2dCousinDave
Stafford County, VA

And they both decide to fly...at the same time. Not a very good picture but I am always on the look out for something unusual.

Stafford County, VA

This one is coming at you. Well, sorta. Very hard to catch them as they fly toward the camera.

Stafford County, VA

A young male, waiting his turn.

Stafford County, VA

Same bird, hunkered down as another bird flew just over his head.

Stafford County, VA

Nothing special today. This female looks like she is eating this seed but actually, she is coughing it up.

Stafford County, VA

Here you see the seed laying on the railing next to this bird.

Stafford County, VA

Another male waiting

Stafford County, VA

I have frequently mentioned that I have mockingbirds that try to get into the wire feeder and bully the bluebirds by sitting on the feeder to keep the smaller birds from getting in either. Here are few from two days ago of a very frustrated northern mockingbird.

This message was edited Dec 25, 2009 2:35 AM

Stafford County, VA

He has been reduced to scaring the blues, hoping they will drop a worm where he can reach it.

Stafford County, VA

Here he comes flying toward a bluebird, then nearly loses his balance.

Stafford County, VA

That's it for tonight. Merry Christmas everyone!

Here is the female on the holly branch with slight modification.

PERTH, Australia

Great photos, as always, Dave. Love the Christmas card. Merry Christmas.

Sandusky, OH

Very nice card Dave! The Mocking Bird trying to get into the wire feeder had me laughing. Merry Christmas!

Orchard Park, NY

What beautiful photos Dave. Unusual to see blue birds in the snow, although I know some are still here. They really stand out. The female in the holly is the most beautiful photo I've ever seen. Happy New Year to you all.

Stafford County, VA

Hi OP. Nice to see you posting again. Thanks for the encouraging comment.

Hope your school year is going well and that you and yours have a healthy, Happy New Year!

Dave

Manzanita, OR(Zone 8b)

Dave, your mocker shots are as beautiful as your BBs. I especially loved that one of him taking off after the BB.
What a beautiful Christmas greeting too-Happy New Year and I'll be anxious to see more of your beautiful photos.

Stafford County, VA

Thanks Duc,, Happy New Year to you and your family.

Stafford County, VA

Cold again this morning.

Stafford County, VA

Waiting

Stafford County, VA

Waitng for breakfast

Stafford County, VA

At the top of the pear tree

Stafford County, VA

Similar shot (but not the exact same one as above). Cropped slightly and lightened.

Stafford County, VA

One more. The bright sunshine presents a real challenge.

Stafford County, VA

Straight out of the camera.

Stafford County, VA

And for this I apologize. I was at the upstairs window, trying to get a shot of this male as he tried to get the fruit of the Bradford Pear tree. It was very early this morning and still too dark so the camera read the shadows too bluish.

Marlton, NJ

I love the shots in the pear tree!

Manzanita, OR(Zone 8b)

I love them too! Looks to me like you don't have any problems with the bright light. Great photos!!

Stafford County, VA

Here is one from this morning. Still very cold but the sky is bright.

Manzanita, OR(Zone 8b)

Great job Dave. I noticed you were using an ISO of 1600 in that last shot. I just have to wait for the sun to shine so I can try it.

Stafford County, VA

Duc, most of the day's activity ocurrs at breakfast. Usually before the sun is actually shining. It is usually a feeding frenzy and so much movement is going on and I hate to miss an opportunity so I start with an ISO setting where I get a shutter speed suficient to stop the wings (ideally 1/000 sec or better). Then as the sun rises, and the shuuter speed goes way up, I find it easier to spin the aperture knob to shut down the aperture, thus lowering the shutter speed to where I want it (1/2000 or so).

In the case of the picture above I was using a 1DMark III with the 400mm lens and shooting wide open which is f/4.0. Even though it was about 9:30, it was still cloudy and trying to snow. I would have liked to have had a faster shutter in case he were to jump but I do with what I have to and sometimes I get lucky.

By 12:30 the clouds had thinned out. This one was taken with my other Mark III and the new 600mm lens. With the added light and again shooting wide open (F/4.0), I was able to lower the ISO to 1000 and still got a reasonably fast shutter speed.

Marlton, NJ

That is gorgeous Dave!

Whiteside County, IL(Zone 5a)

Hard to believe that's an ISO of 1000. That would be so grainy from my camera.

Manzanita, OR(Zone 8b)

Thanks Dave. Your photo is beautiful. I did try using the ISO 1000 and higher yesterday, but haven't downloaded them yet. You've been very helpful.

Stafford County, VA

The light was pretty good today and I got a few pictures. Figured I would put some of them here rather than monopolize the Daily thread.

As you can see, the warmer only keeps some of the water warm.

Stafford County, VA

A nice shot of one of the males.

Stafford County, VA

Hera are a few taken early this morning. Temperature was in the low teens and the birds were obviously cold.

Stafford County, VA

Another

Stafford County, VA

Another shot in the bird bath.

Stafford County, VA

Every day it is the same routine: When I first come out to feed them in the morning they are all hungry to the point of near panic. A feeding freenzy ensues for about five minutes. During this time everybody crowds in and it doesn't matter if I am three feet from them. I am sure they would eat out of my hand if I held still. Then, when they have eaten a little, they leave, one by one. About 15 minutes later they start coming back, two or three at a time and then they once again observe their pecking order: First Papa, then Mama, then the five from the first clutch and last of all, the three survivors from the last nesting last year. And I must have one outsider because it seems everybody seems to chase this one male.

In this shot you can see him brace as another bird approaches from the right.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.