still planting time?

Lake Toxaway, NC(Zone 7a)

Our little museum is moving to a different location, a 1905 house. The city has ordinances about planting buffer zones. The director and I decided to plant typical trees and shrubs from the 1905 era. We have access to several Rose of Sharon and lilacs. Maybe some butterfly bushes. The question is: can I plant them now. We are in zone 7. I thought we might be able to if we mulch them well.
Can anyone tell me if this is correct?

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

I think you can plant all winter, as long as:

•the ground is workable
•the temperature is above freezing
•you can get the plants you want
•you can get someone to plant them

Water in thoroughly to settle the soil and provide moisture, and mulch well so that they are less likely to heave (if container plants).

Well, the ground is workable and we can catch the temperature above freezing a lot of days. But if it has to stay consistantly above freezing, we have a problem. How long do you think the temperature needs to remain above freezing?
We are getting the plants from donations. They are in the ground at other people's houses.

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

Well, that adds a twist! Transplanting involves other impacts to a plant, and is a different situation than installing a plant that is in a container or B&B from a nursery or garden center.

The air temperature aboving freezing is referring to while you are handling the plants out of the ground. It isn't a great idea to subject roots to freezing temps.

Digging and transplanting your plants is another story. There are species that abhor that practice at this time of year, and some that it won't matter at all. It has to do with the root response to being cut, and being able to regenerate during periods with typically colder wetter soils.

Here, I would suspect that Rose of Sharon would fit the indestructible category, as might Butterfly Bush. Lilac, with fleshier root systems, might not like winter transplanting as much. You are south of me in a warmer zone, and I have no idea what your soils might be like. Heavy clay loam that stays sticky and wet all winter is what I get to deal with.

You could always transplant some now, and some later in winter/early spring, and see how it goes. "Hedge" your bets, as it were...

I think that's what we'll do. Hedge is the right word. We'll try about half of them on a warm day.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.