and the mopheads are nestled all snug in their beds

Troy, NY(Zone 5b)

I got them all wired and stuffed and now all that I need to do is wait spring!

Somerset, KY(Zone 6b)

I am new to hydrangea so I need some explanations. Please! What are mopheads? What do you mean by wired and stuffed?

I will be planting my first hydrangeas in the spring and need to learn as much as possible before than.

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Some hydrangeas require extra protection depending on the zones where they're grown. People use different forms of cages to protect them and fill the cages with dried leaves to help the hydrangeas make it through the winter without having the flower buds killed.

You can review many threads on Hydrangeas here:
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/f/hydrangeas/all/

Thumbnail by pirl
Somerset, KY(Zone 6b)

Thats what you mean. I had read something about how to winterize them, just did not understand the term "wired" Now I know. And thank you for the pictures. Next question is the new hydrangea Vanilla Strawberry a mophead?

Yet another type: paniculata. Break it down and the shape of the flower head is a panicle. Tardiva is one supreme example of a paniculata. The photo I'll post next will show the individual flower heads.

Thumbnail by pirl

I think it's beautiful.

Thumbnail by pirl
Somerset, KY(Zone 6b)

Ok, a book of definitions for garden terms. Thanks. I've got an order out for a Vanilla Strawberry hydrangea as well as a Limelight and a Pinky Winky. Those three to start along with the hibiscus I want. I want the moon but will have to take it easy and get a piece at a time. Can hardly wait until my garden is in bloom next summer and I can post pictures of all the wonderful flowers that DG members have sent me to get me started.

Here's Dave's Garden's Botanical Dictionary:
http://davesgarden.com/guides/botanary/

Somerset, KY(Zone 6b)

Thanks I'm learning where to find things yet in Dave's. All instruction is welcome.

Troy, NY(Zone 5b)

My pinky winky isn't preforming up to snuff so I think it will be replaced by vanilla strawberry. I love limelight! I am also going to add some more cityline this year too.

I have a few zone 6 hydrangeas that I keep here in my borderline zone 5/6 yard and I protect them so I make sure I get blooms. I don't protect my paniculata or annabelle. There is no need to worry about them.

My Pinky Winky is also not performing while Limelight is splendid.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.