Okay bird lovers, what is this?

suburban K.C., MO(Zone 6a)

There is this one bird that visits the birdfeeder regularly, but I don't know what it is.
It acts like a woodpecker, but it doesn't have any red on its head. It has that fast flight like a woodpecker and it gets on the tree-trunk like a woodpecker. It hasn't drilled holes in the trees here.
A Sapsucker maybe?
I'll post a photo of it that I took yesterday.
Will

Thumbnail by shortleaf
Benton County, MO(Zone 5a)

Shortleaf, that would be a Downy, or Hairy Woodpecker. I would guess Downy, but only if it has little black spots on its tail feathers. Hairy Woodpeckers are a little larger, with longer beaks and no spots on the tail feathers. :-)

Thanks creek. That definitely looks like one of them. They are hard to tell apart, for me anyways. They look just alike, the Hairy and the Downy Woodpecker, to me anyway. I found this MO. Dep't of Conservation site that has a few photos of Woodpeckers. -
http://mdc.mo.gov/conmag/1999/12/50.htm

Benton County, MO(Zone 5a)

You're welcome :-)

Nilwood, IL(Zone 5b)

It doesn't have a red spot on the head so is a female. BEV

Thumbnail by dragonfly62
Nilwood, IL(Zone 5b)

Here is the male.

Thumbnail by dragonfly62

That bird is back! That does look like it, thanks BEV.
In this photo, its a little hard to see it but it's on the side of a suet feeder.
I got lucky, it was out there a few minutes ago when I took the photo.
It's out there alot. So far, it's out there more than anything else.
The birds and squirrels have more out there than they can eat..lol
The ground isn't covered with snow yet even, thats when they come around in flocks.
The squirrels liked those two pumpkins so much they collapsed them.
So, I put 2 more by them for the squirrels to work on, they were in another part of the yard and didn't get ate and collapsed by squirrels yet.
Will

Thumbnail by shortleaf
KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

We have a woodpecker that has been pecking away at our black walnut tree in the backyard. I'm not sure which one it is though I could easily find out. It's always in the same little area of the tree too. I hope it's not trying to kill it cause I might have to kill the bird instead. lol. Not losing another tree here. My dad won't replace them. Grrr.. lol

My great uncle says a Sapsucker does that to his Walnut tree. Only thing different is it's an English Walnut tree, he has the native Walnut tree right next to it and the bird doesn't bother it. I think the bird is getting insects under the bark. I think they can kill a tree by drilling holes in it so much that it girdles the tree. Heres my Uncle's tree a few years ago.
It must've survived the bird, it is still there today!

Thumbnail by shortleaf

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.