Interesting seedling

Baton Rouge area, LA(Zone 8b)

I got this from a friend who found the seeds in Belize Alabama...so I named it Belize! So far in its first year I cant tell how tall it will be but so far it is only 2 feet tall and has tiny spotted blooms. Does anyone have any idea what origins this one could have?

Karen

Thumbnail by gardener2005
cullman, AL(Zone 7b)

I'm no good with the names of these things. however it is a stunning flower, I would love one if and when you ever have some available
jen

Hi, I can trade if it survives the winter and multiplies enough. It looks good though I will see about bringing a division of it inside tomorrow. I think there already is a Red Belize canna in existence. I`m unsure if my name infringes on another canna so I might call it Belize Alabama Canna since that is where the seeds came from.

cullman, AL(Zone 7b)

I think its stunning either name.. Ok just let me know, if and when..
jen

Houston, PA(Zone 6a)

Looks like it might have some of this in it. Seedling of c. Maculata, but mine are tall.
Roxanne

Thumbnail by roxxanne

Roxxanne,

That looks a lot like it. I really will not know the true size of mine until next year. I love the tall species canna and have a few stands of those just so I can enjoy the BBBRRHHHH!!! sounds of hummingbirds. :)

Karen

This message was edited Dec 31, 2009 11:51 AM

Houston, PA(Zone 6a)

Yep, that's it. When I bought my origingal seeds that's what they called it but I understand the name has since been changed to c. maculata.
Roxanne

Thumbnail by roxxanne
Robertsdale, AL(Zone 8b)

Hi Karen!

So nice to see the end result! I have not had a chance to grow it yet. Although I have grown Canna compacta subsp. cinnabarina that had seeds very similar and looked like Roxannne's. Yours seems to have much nicer flower form!

The seeds I sent were actually collected in Belize City, Belize.......a business trip! - Arlan

Hi Arlan, Nice to see you posting today! It is emerging from dormancy and looks like it will be finethis year. This one triedto set seeds but it was too closeto winter for them to finish making. This year should give it plenty of time. If you want seeds or a devision for your garden let me know.

Karen

Chatham, NJ

I know this is in a canna thread, but this looks a great deal like blackberry lilly to me. You will know if it sets seeds in late summer, shiny black clusters of seed, hence the name.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.