Canna Id?

DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL(Zone 8b)

Got the seeds in a trade....I love it ? Does anyone know the id?
thanks !
mj

Thumbnail by mjsponies
cullman, AL(Zone 7b)

heres a list of all the spotted ones from the plant files that are close to that picture of yours
Canna x generalis 'Cancer'
Canna x generalis 'J.B. van der Schott'
Canna Lily 'Confetti'
Canna x generalis 'King Tut'
Canna x generalis 'Lenape'
Canna x generalis 'Meyerbeer'
Canna x generalis 'Montville Orange'
Canna x generalis 'Picasso'
Canna x generalis 'Sugar & Spice'
jen

cullman, AL(Zone 7b)

Canna x generalis 'Journey's End' too sorry forgot that one
However when planting cannas from seed you wont always get the same plant as the parent. You might get lighter or darker, could even be a totally different looking plant all together.
jen

This message was edited Dec 14, 2009 11:31 AM

Fallbrook, CA(Zone 10b)

'Cleopatras' can come spotted like that as well.

Hey gang, I will go check these out, and see what one matches mine the most. Of course with it being so close to Xmas and I need to go relist my seeds on ebay I(id mj3pony) it might take a while.
Thanks I will go thru these and check them out.
mj

Here's another for you Canna guru's.....Who am I?????????????????

This message was edited Dec 17, 2009 7:44 AM

Thumbnail by mjsponies
cullman, AL(Zone 7b)

I thought 'Cleopatras' too however from the leaves being all green i excluded that one from my list..

Well, I checked out the Canna's and I think judging by the height, mine is probably only about 28 inches tall,
that it's Lenape or Picasso...I think. I know when growing from seed that you can get many variations.
Still nothing on the pink one above tho. Any idea's ?

Baton Rouge area, LA(Zone 8b)

It needs a different name if it is a seedling or you can refer to is as a seedling from the parent. For example I have a lot of Ermine,Mai Ping and Journeys End seedlings which while some resemble their parent very closely I can`t call them their parents name but say Ermine seedling or Mai Ping seedling meaning it is a plant resulting from a seed taken from the parent and I`m careful to grow them seperate to keep from confusing them with the original named cultivars.

Also if your seedling is different enough from the parent or a already established cultivar it may well deserve its own name. Alice Harris(Karchesky Canna) registers cannas and maybe she could give you a opinion or some advice on that.

gardener2005, thank you for the info. My seedling looks very much like Lenape or Picasso, but the color is a bit off from both of them.( at least judging from the pictures I've looked at) I know growing conditions can effect that as well as the fact that seedlings will have some variation. I sent a picture of it to the person I got the seeds from and she said mine had much more color in the spots than hers did...so which of the above factors played a part in that I don't know. I got two plants from that batch of seeds and they are identical. I think I will send pics to Alice Harris and see what she has to say.
Again, Thank you very much for your help...
mj
learning something new all the time !!

Baton Rouge area, LA(Zone 8b)

No two seedlings are truly identical. They are all different in unseen,subtle or not so subtle ways and you may not see some of the variations or be able to tell for sure until the second year. The blooms could look exactly the same and the two plants differ in height, or the leaves are thinner or thicker. Cannas are evaluated by list of criteria similar to day lilies I think. Alice can tell you how that is done. You might have one worth checking out and seeing if it can be registered.

It is true seed lines can be created in cannas by generation after generation of selfing and selecting. The species types and cannas from seed lines often are pretty consistent in what they produce from seeds.

Even if a seedling is identical to the parent it is not the parent nor should it be called the parents name except seedling of the parent,its own new name or the seedline it came from for example Tropical series.

cullman, AL(Zone 7b)

on the dark pink one
Canna x generalis 'Empire'
Canna x generalis 'Enchantress'
Canna x generalis 'Shining Pink'
Canna x generalis 'Tropical Salmon'
or its one of the many solid pink ones

Coal Center, PA(Zone 6a)

The spotted one would be a new hybrid.
In the first season a new hybrid establishes itself. In the second season, you will see the true plant that from there on generally does not change.

'Cleopatra' does not produce seed.

Houston, PA(Zone 6a)

Hey MJ, look at this
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/99993/
Roxanne

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.