curious growth differences on dracenia

San Diego, CA(Zone 10b)

Hi all

I planted these dracenias about 4 years ago and when I planted them they were equal in size, really small plants in 1/2 gallon pots each. By now the left one is about twice as tall as the right one and the middle one is about twice as tall as the left one, in addition it sports a new growth from the bottom.

As if it weren't strange enough, the leaves of the tallest plant look really bad with these yellow spots all over.

If anyone has any explanation for the size differences I would like to hear it. Also if you could ID the plants themselves, thanks. And finally, what are the spots from? Apparently whatever causes them does not harm the plant at all, maybe it makes it grow faster???

Thumbnail by nomosno
mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

they won't need much feeding as they are a tough plant but they do need some. the spots could point to a nutrient deficiency such as lack of potassium. it could also be a leaf skeletonizer insect. i would try washing them down with some warm, soapy water and then applying a good quality palm food. they require the same basic nutrients as palms.

San Diego, CA(Zone 10b)

Thanks for the advice!

Lecanto, FL(Zone 9a)

http://oregonstate.edu/dept/nurspest/thrips.htm
for some reason, when I have problems with plants around this time, just warming up before the explosion of spring, I know it's thrip. Alot of mealy bug - looking damage turns out to be thrip. I just use systemic insecticide if the plant is not going to flower soon. It's my easiest bet, no fooling around. I did enough of that in years past.

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

but a stressed plant, such as those above appear to be, would not benefit from a systemic (imho). it would cause further stress and can even prove fatal.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.