Ever made a seven course meal?

Southeast, NE(Zone 5a)

I haven't, but I'm thinking about it. For Christmas there will just be Handsome Man and me, Handsome Man's mom, and our two sons for all day long. I've asked what everyone wants to eat, and the response has been varied to say the least! I thought since there were only five of us and the boys (24 and 21) don't live close enough to eat at home often, it might be kind of fun.

My oldest son said he didn't care as long as it involved clam chowder. The youngest said any kind of beef and "your famous potatoes." My mother-in-law said brunch would be nice. (I have a hunch she's thinking of my Mother's Day brunch which she completely enjoys.) Handsome Man suggested prime rib and sour cream raisin pie.

We are actually having Christmas on the 26th, since the boys both work Christmas Day, so I'll have all day Christmas Day to do prep work and some cooking. I won't feel tucked away from the action if I'm in the kitchen a lot - what tends to happen is people lean against the bar separating the kitchen from the dining room, so a lot of good visiting happens while I'm in the kitchen.

So the question is what courses make up a seven-course meal? I found online where the courses are:
1) appetizer
2) seated appetizer (I guess this isn't finger food like Course #1?)
3) salad
4) sorbet
5) main course
6) dessert
7) latte

And then another site where the courses were:
1) appetizer
2) soup
3) salad
4) sorbet
5) meat such as poultry
6) meat such as red meat or fish
7) dessert

Then the second question would be what goes well with what? I'm no expert cook, but I'm not a complete novice either. I don't own a blender, which might make sorbet difficult.

Any ideas or help? I'm hoping to have some fun here! I know this will be filling, but we have all day to eat!

This thread has 23 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!