Blue boy (Thunbergia battiscombei) cuttings

Kure Beach, NC(Zone 9a)

I cut back my Blue Boy vine earlier today. As expected, I found some stems that had rooted. Since it appears that they root easily, I started some more in potting mix.
My question is: Are there specific requirements for them to root? Such as temp, humidity, etc? I have them in my greenhouse which shouldn't get much below 50F. I can bring them inside, but would rather not.
If this works, I'll have plenty to trade!
Thanks,
Barb

Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

Barb, I am in zone 8b/9a and mine is perennial here - why not just stick them in the loose sand/soil at the base of the mother plant and let mother nature root them for you - then you can trade them, in the spring, as fully-rooted plants. I would cover them with a flower pot during the cooler weather we are having right now. I would make a note to check the moisture around the cuttings about once a week.

Kure Beach, NC(Zone 9a)

Good idea. That would save room in my greenhouse also....
Barb

Barb, keep us posted on how they do.

Kure Beach, NC(Zone 9a)

I will.
It did get down to freezing last night, so I need to go out and see how the parent plant is doing. I'm going to wait though - it's still only 37F...
Barb

Kure Beach, NC(Zone 9a)

Well, I didn't successfully overwinter the rooted cutting...BUT...the parent came back! I have it next to a banana plant, that I covered with pinestraw. Banana didn't make it, but there is several new sprouts coming up from the vine! Yes!
Very happy.
Barb

Wonderful! Mine is about a foot high right now and branching, PLUS, it's putting out runners.

anyone successful removing black spot from roses-zone9-5 miles from the gulf

Nope! I have several rose plants and they constantly suffer from black spot, even though I treat them with various concoctions - the humidity is just too much for them.

Kure Beach, NC(Zone 9a)

Yep, roses like it around here, but they will get black spot. it can be controlled, but not eliminated.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.