Favorite Hosta

Carver, MA(Zone 5a)

Give me your favorite hosta of 2001.Mine has to be Aardvark.

This message was edited Wednesday, Sep 26th 11:53 AM

(Zone 4b)

I've given different answers to this question throughout the summer.

My fave for the longest time was Frances Williams. She really looked her best this year and refused to burn until the end. She was gorgeous.

Kiwi Gold Rush was like a beacon in my garden. He litterally glows. The pic in the library does not do him justice.

Lakeside Sapphire Pleats and Laura and Darrell were also my faves this year for sentimental reasons.

But now as I look back on how all my hostas performed this summer, my favorite hosta hands down, without a doubt would be Guacamole.

His coloring is soothing, subtle, inviting, easy of the eye, and cool and refreshing on a hot summer day. The slugs and cutworms left him alone. Plus he smells good (whiffffff)

He is a stunner and my overall fave for this year.

Washington, DC(Zone 7a)

June and Gold Standard. Both are still quite stunning, with no seasonal decline.

zeb

Superior, WI(Zone 4a)

I have to go with Gold Standard too.I just moved mine out of the snow-on-the-mountain.Now one can see it,it's beautifully.
But Mininuteman is looking wonderfull too
Dirtpig

Newcastle, ON(Zone 5a)

Well as I just planted my first twenty hostas..I'm not too familiar with all the lovely ones aavilable..but of the ones I have, Great Expectations appeals to me the most..
My "fella" likes the Blue Angel.

Cape May Court House, NJ(Zone 7a)

Oh BigDave, now excluding the 2 that I sleep with every night and I don't think I have to mention their names, I just love whirlwind. My ADG is really cool too, not vey colorful but those leaves get me everytime!!!!! sue

Topeka, KS(Zone 5b)

We really do need to ask this question every few weeks or so cuz everyone's opinion changes...

I will add that my Guacamole is still as beautiful and fresh now as it was in May. Nary a slug hole or cutworm bite. All my other hostas are turning crispy and fading, but Guacamole is my favorite this week.

(*~*)

(Zone 5a)

This year mine has to be Great Expectations, it looked as great end of season as when it started. Until this year June always won, but alas it was hit hard by cutworms this year as were many others----the little bastiges! :(

Carver, MA(Zone 5a)

I'm shocked that Lady Isobell Barnett hasn't been mentioned yet.
Bigdave

(Zone 5a)

LOL, I might have mentioned it if I had it! ;o

Kevil, KY(Zone 6a)

BigDave, if Ardvark is your favorite, do you have it? It is not on your list. Let me know and I will put it on there.
Did you get your care package today? Irisday

Tremont, IL(Zone 5b)

I can't pick just one, but I bought a large Great Expectations at the Midwest Hosta Convention & it still looks great. Fragrant Bouquet has tripled in size this year, Fried Bananas is still putting out new leaves, Piedmont Gold is looking good. Most of my hosta are still looking good. A few of the ones I recently acquired had browned edges on their leaves, but the ones that I've had most of the year still look good. The only exception is Krossa Regal that had the hot afternoon sun beating down on it after I lost a large branch out of a tree. It turned golden & then slowly faded into the ground. I will have to move it next spring & put Sum & Substance in there.
Jan

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.