December color in the garden (II)

Saint Bonifacius, MN(Zone 4a)

We came from here:
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1060042/#new

---------------------------------

Polly, that Crambe (cordifolia) is excellent. Many times people have to stake the flower stalk(s). For fhe the rest of the readers: it may look like a little tree, but it is a perennial. The large leaves in the shadow below the white "Baby's Breath" belong to the crambe.

Polly's Crambe: http://www.lejardinage.be/images/blanc/PL0000078128_thumb.jpg

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Thanks for starting the new thread Rick.

Do you grow crambe? I was thinking it was marginal for me here.

(Sheryl) Gainesboro, TN(Zone 6b)

Thanks for the link!

Hey youse guys - over here! >waves< ...

This message was edited Dec 11, 2009 8:15 PM

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Sorry about posting on the old thread, as I obviously knew the new one was here.

Mr Canthus:

That crambe maritima is lovely! I'll go look up the zone.

According to this website crambe codifolia is edible, tastes like chicken, woops cabbage.

http://www.pfaf.org/database/plants.php?Crambe cordifolia

I am known to go through the garden eating many plants. A little bite at first, if it doesn't kill me and tastes good, I'll try it again. I try just about anything with berries.

Wonder what the Crambe would look like next to a Baptisia....

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Huge, LOL.

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

A blue one?

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

I'm thinking ornamental grasses? I really don't know. Something big. Suggestions?

I do love baptisia though. I planted 10 Wayne's World this fall.

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Chocolate Joe Pye Weed.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

That would be pretty.

I have this Berberis that I really love and have put it in many places. It gets around 8' tall (not the 5' it says in ads), and it would look beautiful with the Crambe, but I don't know if I could handle more barberries.

Royal Cloak.

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/112494/

I think it's blue - I just planted it this past summer, so who knows, really....

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

It will look really pretty with Crambe, and probably will bloom at the same time, but the Crambe gets around 8-10 feet, and the Baptisia around 3'. But if you had a few Baptisias I think it would be a stunning color combo.

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Joe Pye Weed gets about 5 to 6' tall.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=7033402

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

I have some that get over 10 feet tall. I love Joe Pye Weed. One I really like is Joe White, have you ever seen that one? There's another white one Bartered Bride, but the flowerhears are not nearly as nice.

I have Gateway, Carin, Chocolate, Joe White, Little Joe, Baby Joe, and some of the species. Can you tell I like Eupatorium.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Thanks for the new thread: I am challanged in "Thread making"

Billingshurst, United Kingdom

All great ideas for Crambe combos i think. Perhaps also some of the taller June flowering Alliums planted in front.
Cynara scolymus and C. cardunculus also work well with theur foliage in my experience and if you like big grasses, then perhaps grouped in amongst clumps of Miscanthus for some earlier interest

North East England, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

I've tried to plant my garden for interest all year round so at the moment I have the following in bloom, daphne bholua, mahonia Charity, Viburnum bodentense Dawn, Sarcococca confusa, schizostylis coccinea, Rose Evelyn! and my hollies are full of berries. My Wintersweet also has buds on and my hellebores have new buds showing. My snowdrops are even poking through!

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Galanthophile, I love Sarcococca, but unfortunately so do my voles. It is really a perfect low growing shrub. Dark, glossy & evergreen, very fragrant flowers and nice berries. I may try one again. Thanks for the reminder. It fit in well with my other acid loving shrubs. Mine used to bloom late January through February.

Double Knockout Rose is still blooming this week.

Thumbnail by stormyla
Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Those really cold temperatures brought some nice coloring to this Euphorbia Helena's Blush.

Thumbnail by stormyla
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

very nice

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

That Euphorbia is beautiful! I see some non-variegated stems, will you have to cut those off? I've had some plants that I understand you should cut out solid green growth to prevent the whole thing from reverting back.

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Don't know Gemini. It was new summer before this one. I thought about that. I think it is new growth. I've had the same thing happen to this Hypericum Tri-Color. The center branches, which are from last year, are variegated. the outside growth is all new and green. I may call the nursery where I bought them and inquire.

Thumbnail by stormyla

I think you need to cut off the green leaves or they'll take over.

Galanthophyle. You've got a great aray of winter colour.

Most of the flowers in my garden I'm afraid are various bits and pieces from summer still hanging around after the party. Nearly crashed the car earlier when I saw a big Cactus flowered Dahlia poking over a wall in a village I was driving through. Can inagine it night still be there on Xmas day.

Anyway, here is a genuine winterlander. Iris unguicularis

Thumbnail by Mr_Canthus

Ooo, pretty!

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

That is very pretty. Is it an Iris that likes to be near water?

No. Quite the contrary. It comes from Algeria or somewhere like that and likes a hot baking sunny dry spot.
It just waits until winter before it flowers

Oh.... is it one of these?

Wait, no, it couldn't be... these aren't actually Irises.

Thumbnail by Pagancat
Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Sheryl, Are they winter bloomers?

Yes ma'am, they are. And have to be kept very dry during the summer. I bought some from a really interesting site: http://www.thebulbman.com/Catalog.html .... even if you think you recognize some of the names, it will probably look quite different from what you are used to seeing. The only ones I've seen commercially available that he sells is the Ornithagalum (sp?) dubium.

Now that I'm on the site, they are Moraeas.... 'Butterfly Iris'.

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Sheryl, How tall are they? What month do they bloom?

I want to say mine bloomed in February in Phoenix, but I'm not positive. He lists them as cold hardy, but I think that might be to zone 8 on a very cool day, lol. They're about a foot tall, although he says taller, but that was mine....

Spokane, WA(Zone 5b)

Sedum spurium 'Fuldaglut' is one of my favorite over-winter ground covers for excellent color. Sedum 'Angelina' is a close second.

Thumbnail by willmetge
Centennial, CO(Zone 5a)

Pretty - is that frost on your sedum?

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

It is lovely like that.

Saint Bonifacius, MN(Zone 4a)

Mr_Canthus, how cold does it get there? I have some Iris ungulares seedlings that so far have withstood -9C (15F) by accident. (I meant to bring them in.) Now I am wondering how much cold they will really take!

The seedlings only sprouted the first week of August.

Rick

North East England, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

Fantastic Iris unguicularis Mr_Canthus!

I think my zone is 8 a or b and this Iris is absolutely totally hardy here. We don't go down as low as -9 C very often though. In fact there's only been a handful of mild frosts so far this year.
I love the frosted Sedum Willmetge. Its things like that keep the garden inspiring even when its asleep

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.