Mucuna nigricans?

Chickenville, FL(Zone 9a)

I ordered seeds of this vine last winter. I am suprised to have flowers this early. It is supposed to be Mucuna nigricans related to Mucuna bennetti. I believe the site I got them from is reputable but the flowers hang down further than the other photos I've seen. I already have a few seedpods on it. Anyone else grow this vine?

Thumbnail by angel_tree_baby
Jacksonville, AR(Zone 7b)

I don't grow it but it is lovely. A few yrs ago I grew a Mucuna species
that had orange flowers. Didn't take me too long to kill it. lol.
Love the purply flowers on your plant. Very striking.

Thanks patootie :) I am gonna try not to kill mine lol. An orange one would be pretty!!
I posted on another forum and found out that this is Mucuna pruriens not M. nigricans. Yeah I got it identified.

Jackson, SC(Zone 8a)

its very pretty. want to grow it but seeds are way to high. i just cant afford them. there are some here on daves in the market place one seed for 14.00 way too much

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

Beautiful. Where did you get your seeds? How difficult was it to get them to germinate?

When I got my seeds they were advertised as mucuna nigricans and showed a photo of nigricans as well. They are not nigricans it is Mucuna pruriens. I didn't buy them here or on ebay so you will have to ask those sellers if they have the real thing or not. I dont know all the specific physical differences between the two but from the photos I have seen, the nigricans looks to have tighter clusters of flowers/claws and these hang down in looser clusters. The leaves are also different according to some that have grown both of them but I have only seen the leaves on my own pruriens. My vines are still outside and we have got down to 31 and it doesn't act fazed at all. The pods are forming and are getting fuzzy. The seeds are easy to plant. I originally recieved 3 and planted 2, they both came up. I just soaked them overnight and planted them shallowly in tiny pots and bumped them up as they grew (which is incredibly fast lol). They look like little black beans.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.