Alice's Malice

North Brunswick, NJ

There's been some interest in Alice's Malice since it was featured during my appearance on the Martha Stewart show a few weeks ago, so here's a picture of it taken today. This is a happy stock plant at Atlock Farm in central New Jersey. We intend to propagate the daylights out of it next year.

Our own eskinola (Joy) found this in her garden a few years ago and gave me a few cuttings of it last year. So far it has been very impressive and deserves to be widely grown.

Alice Sunn (another DGer) has a gorgeous namesake, I think!

Ray

Thumbnail by rrog2001
New Hyde Park, NY

It is a very pretty coleus and I look forward to adding it to my collection. What do you mean by a happy stock plant?

Thanks for the posting the picture for all of us to see!

FLOYD, VA(Zone 6a)

Thats a stunner! I love yellow and red.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Wow, that is a beautiful one.

Karen

Stockholm, Sweden

I just love this plant (and its name!) - thanks a million to my friends Joy and to Ray for taking so good care of this 'new kid on the block'. I'm of course extremely proud of it.

My next sport will be called "Sun Ray of Joy".... how about that - all three of us in one coleus name...

:-)) Alice

Glen Riddle Lima, PA

Sounds good Alice!

Thanks for posting a photo of it Ray. It looks gorgeous in your care! I loved it in the garden. It grew in harsh sun and it didn't bleach out. The sun really brought out the splotches of fuchsia in the center vein and highlighted the bright reds/darker red contrasts. It looked like fresh and old blood splatters.... like malice. and alice, i'm sure she'd kill for more coleus LOL, so hence the namesake.

So excited to see it en masse next spring!!! I will have to pinch more as I've killed mine.

I'm hoping it will inspire other coleophiles to start sowing collected seeds and sharing them. Ray, I really think you should start an official Coleus Society...

Do you have a photo of Isaac (named after my son) anywhere? I'd love to see how he's growing! Any of the other ones (Aidan's Flame, Derek, still in your collection somewhere?)

I'm tempted to drive down midwinter some of my rooted cuttings to you of Fallen Angel so you can grow it in the coleus greenhouse over the rest of the winter/spring...

:)take care all,

Joy

This message was edited Dec 11, 2009 11:42 AM

Ripon, WI(Zone 4a)

That is a beauty!

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Looks great

Oh, my, I'll need one, also!

Thanks for showing it to us, Ray.

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

I love it too! But how did it get its name? As far as I can tell there is no malice in Alice. LOL! Just love.

Stockholm, Sweden

Oh Kell, you are the sweetest. Love you!

My guess is that my good friend Joy was only being funny on my behalf when naming the coleus. As in the book "Alice in Wonderland/Through the Looking Glass" - all facts are upside-down or mirrored.... Since there is no -or very little - malice in me (LOL!), at least there there will now be a malicious coleus called Alice .... and a very strong, handsome and big one (since I'm not :))))

Joy: Love to you also, we'll be in touch!
Alice

Pequannock, NJ(Zone 6b)

Daisy_Lee, stock plants would be one of those large beautiful coleus baskets hanging in Atlock's greenhouse from which they take cuttings.
Ray, you wouldn't remember me but we've met a few times. I've been to Atlock and I always visit you at the flower shows. You guys are my main begonia suppliers.
What do you mean on your website about 2012?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.