Surf's up!

Hillsborough , NC(Zone 7a)

We went over to the North Shore yesterday...

Thumbnail by Braveheartsmom

The surf faces were about 20 feet - hard to tell because there was no-one in the water for contrast.

We are expecting much higher surf Sunday night through the first part of the week and everyone is set for "Jaws" which is supposed to be one of the biggest waves in the world. Surfers are coming in from all over the world, but only the very best are allowed to get into the water.

Pahoa, HI(Zone 10b)

Yeah yeah surf here at Pohoiki has been ono too.

These pics were taken down the road from where Jaws comes in (which involves a mile and a half hike through pineapple fields). We will be going on Monday to check it out as the waves are expected to have over 50 foot faces. When Jaws is in full spate you can feel the ground shake about 1 mile inland as the wave crashes in.

Aloha, you going in?

Mérida, Yucatán, Mexico(Zone 11)

Oh, what great images! I used to spend time every winter on the north shore, I was a surfer waaaaay back then but I didn't get in the water with the monsters, I just didn't have the strength or the bravery. They didn't tow you out in those days, now they get you outside the break behind a jet ski. Anyway, I was mostly there to watch in awe and hang around the real stars. It is awesome to see the size and power of the waves that come in during the winter, after storms. They are so large that you can't really get the immensity in a photo without having something familiar for reference. Later, years after I stopped surfing, we were in the islands a lot to dive and if there were good waves I'd always try and go over there to see them. The really big ones are waay out offshore but there are some huge thundering trains that break right up on the shore. Amazing and I wish I were there to see them.

Mon Plaisir, Aruba

Love the pics! Funny - I'm writing this with sunblock on my face having just got back from surfing terrible 3 foot wind chop here in Aruba. I don't know about 20 foot Hawaiian monsters, but some 'Pacific juice' would taste pretty sweet right now.

Keaau, HI

Puna Coast is choice!

Thumbnail by Metrosideros
Keaau, HI

Hilo is nice too!

Keaau, HI

Hakalau ain't bad either.

Keaau, HI

Kolekole also good!

Keaau, HI

Thanks for the photos Jenn!

Aloha a nui, Dave

I got nostalgic and googled Jaws in Hawaii and discovered it is on Maui's north shore. I've never been up there by land, we've gone by in a boat. I was talking about Oahu's north shore. Reading the surf sites that came up was fun and the pictures were awesome.

Lovely photos Dave!

Biggest waves are still not in yet but evacuation centers are open and people are trickling in.

Here are some pics of the surf so far if anyone is interested.

http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/

Honomu, HI(Zone 11)

Metrosideros

Mahalo for the Hakalau and Kolekole pics....I have some taken at both places that are pretty impressive.... ;-)

Kapaa, HI

......................Eddie went.................referring to the Eddie Aikau big wave surf contest that
was created in 1984 to honor Eddie Aikau, the first lifeguard at Waimea Bay. He was lost at sea in 1978 while attempting a solo rescue mission for the capsized voyaging canoe Hokule'a......

Eddie was regarded as one of the best big-wave surfers at Waimea Bay. To capture his prowess, the contest rules state that it can run only on a day when wave-face heights are consistently reaching 40 feet......the contest does not go every year because the waves do not reach 40 fee this year...Apparently there were sets that topped 50 feet

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I saw the big surf on the news today.

Good videos on weather.com.

This thread got me nostalgic for watching those big wave riders, so I kept an eye on the Eddie all day the other day, they had a live feed. Incredible! I really loved watching it, thanks for bringing it up. Nerves of steel but what a thrill to drop onto one of those big boys, those guys are incredible athletes. Greg Long was incredible at the end and Ramon Navarro, who won the Monster Drop, had the ride of his life.

Delray Beach, FL(Zone 10a)

Aloha, all.

Imagine that... 40 to 50-foot waves. I get goose bumps just thinking about it. Imagine surfing in that. Wow! Thanks for sharing those waves with us.

Take care, all.
Pu'ole, a.k.a. Sylvain.

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

My imagination doesn't even go there. Will be watching. I couldn't even get 6 feet away from shore. hahahaha.

Princess Kilikina

Xai Xai, Mozambique

Surfing!! a sport i hope to do one day, but impossible here due to the reef. and behind the reef are bullsharks.
but then again, i have bad balance, and i am afraid of the deep ocean, so maybe its a sport i shouldn't try....
the photos on this thread are all very beautiful, thanks for posting, all.
isaac

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

I love watching surfing on TV and hope that one day I will be lucky enough to see it happen in person.

Gorgeous pics everyone!!

LOL Isaac, I think you need more than good balance, I think you have to have a devil may care attitude to takle both big waves and bull shark!

Aloha Pepper, nice to hear from you. Any snow up in your neck of the woods yet? Brrrr!

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

They showed those huge waves on the north shore last night on the news and they mentioned that only certain surfers were allowed to ride them. Yikes, they were awesome. I preferred the beach this way.

Thumbnail by ardesia
Xai Xai, Mozambique

yeah, i gotta agree with you ardesia. a calmer ocean looks much more inviting than one with huge waves! i think snorkeling is anyway more fun than surfing, and i am planning to go snorkeling soon. i am just waiting for the water to get clearer. its our rainy season now, so its been raining a lot. everything is so green and lush. Beautiful!!
isaac

Keaau, HI

Hope this is more easy.

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

We've had an inch of snow with maybe a half inch of ice under that but that's mostly melted now. Just an hour north of me they got several inches of snow. We are waiting on another system that is supposed to hit later in the week. Doubt we'll get much. The storms have been tracking north here lately.

I wish I could have seen the footage of the waves. But I haven't been home long enough to see anything! lol. Great pics though of the calmer waves.

Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

All of the pictures are just beautiful!

Hopefully they will video the Contest and beautiful waves. They usually show it on PBS. I love to watch them surf the big ones!!! It is breath taking! I just sit in AWE of the waves and the love of the waves by the surfers, but it is sooooo DANGEROUS, esp on the North Shore!

Xai Xai, Mozambique

Absolutely true!! Surfing is not for the fainthearted (me)...
This is a backyard view of one of our lovely Mozambican sunrises.
isaac

Thumbnail by westraad
Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Oh Isaac, is that from your backyard? Absolute magic. What a beautiful world we live in. Just have to know where to look.

Hope you health is holding up, child.

Christi

Child is a term of endearment. You are still our Middlin' Isaac.

Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

Isaac, what a gorgeous picture! Did you take that? That is wonderful!

Hi Christi, Jen!! Hope y'all are doing well. I'm OK..... Have a great day everyone!

Xai Xai, Mozambique

yes, i took that picture from our backyard! its amazing i know. The Lord truly blessed us with beautiful places, didn't He?
Lol, i understand Christi, and i don't mind the term. Thanks, my health is actually doing very well, i haven't been this healthy in quite a while! I am getting plenty of exercise, walking our dogs and other dogs i am dogsitting to the beach. i am now going to go twice a day. at home i am also very busy in the garden, having so much fun with new ideas and fixing up some areas that needed it. i am not struggling with so much tiredness now either, and i am following my diet (more or less).
Yesterday was a pretty rough day here, we were almost in a car accident, and then a drunk man and a mentallly ill woman disturbed our Bible class, and when we got back my sister and i took a bunch of kids to the beach, and there my sister almost drowned, gave me HUGE fright!!! But we are all ok now, and we had a nice day today, went out to lunch with some friends, and some more friends showed up for coffee this afternoon. Tomorrow morning a former client who is now a friend of my dad is going to take me and my brother and sister for a ride in his helicopter, should be fun!
Glad to hear you are doing OK, Jeanne! Your family still worried about you? you really must have given them a scare...
you all have a great day/night, its night here.
isaac

Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

My goodness, Isaac! I am so glad that you and your family are OK! Good thing God has guardian angels around about you! Praise the Lord!

My daughter is starting to calm down.

It is so beautiful outside I might go out in the garden afterwhile. So many things got bit in the freeze it's discouraging. My huge 5-6 ft. rubber tree's leaves are destroyed. It will have to be cut back. I will have the yard crew do it in the Spring.
It will come back, but it will take time.

Have a good day!

Christi, I need to find my Brudda IZ CD and listen to it. Maybe it would cheer me up! Hope you and Mike are OK.

Jeanne

Aloha, everyone.

I returned yesterday, drove my traveling companion to the airport this morning and flaked off the rest of the day. I am working tomorrow. Where does the time go?

Jeanne, if Bruddah Iz fails to bring joy to your heart, maybe you could rent "A Christmas Story", where little Ralphie wants a Red Rider BB gun and his mom tells him he'll poke his eye out with that thing. It's a Christmas traditiion here and I wouldn't want to have to through Christmas without Ralphie and his wild antics to secure the coveted BB gun.

I will be processing my cruise pictures and posting a few on this and other threads as well. Take good care, all.

Aloha,
Pu'ole, a.k.a. Sylvain.

Gail joins me in wishing all our Dave's Garden friends around the world a Merry Christmas and a Safe, Healthy, Prosperous and Happy New Year.

Sylvain.

Xai Xai, Mozambique

Thanks Jeanne, we are thankful that the Lord is with us. so sorry to hear about your garden, it must be tough. I know what its like, because some summers are SOOOOO hot that plants die. A while ago ALL my bachelor's buttons died because of one day when it was over a 100F.
Sylvain, looking forward to the pictures!!
isaac

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.