query re horse manure bad if horse were dewormed?

Norwalk, CT(Zone 6b)

I have a big garbage can of manure with sawdust I got from a riding stable in a nearby town. I was just told that I needed to know if the horses were treated with a deworming agent because if so, the manure would kill the worms in my soil.
Is this true? I don't know much about horses or worms--wouldn't all riding stables give their horses something to deworm them? Thanks!

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

Great question...have you googled it since no one seems to come forward?

Norwalk, CT(Zone 6b)

How fun to have a reply from Hawaii. Thanks for the nudge. It looks as if I'm fine to use my manure. I found this on a Co. Extension Division site. It's about vermiculture so answer relates to red worms, but close enough for me:
Will horse dewormers kill red worms?
The most common wormer used is known by the brand name Ivermectin® made by the Merial
Company. Merial’s research shows that the active chemicals in Ivermectin® are deactivated when
manure is exposed to sunlight. Equine studies show that 95 percent of the active chemicals in
Ivermectin® are deactivated in the horse before being passed in the feces. Leading experts in
vermicomposting believe that the concentration of Ivermectin® in the horse manure is not high
enough to seriously injure Eisenia.

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

Great news....thanks for that!!!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.