I.D. Please

Abita Springs, LA(Zone 8b)

Is this Piquant? Can someone help to identify? This photo was taken last March. Thanks

This message was edited Dec 6, 2009 2:16 AM

Thumbnail by tondut
Cape Coral, FL(Zone 10a)

Looks like it in the PF.
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/140987/

Hi Sunshinesw
Thanks for looking and thanks for your input. I have had this Amaryllis for years and it has multiplied alot but I never knew the name. Thanks again.

Cape Coral, FL(Zone 10a)

You are welcome! it's a beauty for sure.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

There are a lot of red & white ones... if you got it without a name, it may simply not be a named variety (like getting a pink or purple african violet from the grocery store -- still lovely, but not a registered cultivar). That doesn't matter a bit to your own enjoyment of course, but if you're trading offsets you might call it a "Piquant lookalike" or a red & white noid (noid = no ID).

Hi critterologist and thanks for your comment. I received this amryllis bulb from my grandmother 8 years ago and she told me that she didn't know the name because she got it as a mis-labled bulb. I know that she has had this for about 15 years. I don't know how long "Piquant" has been around but from what I could see on the web trying to match the photo to is Piquant. And yes I have many offsets so I was just trying to identify it. Thanks again. Tony

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

I just id'd "Minerva' which looks alot like that too!

In my experence, Minerva has more of a star center. Just my opinion. I have lots of red & white stripe that I have had for years, have no idea of the name, just enjoy them!!!

Houston, TX(Zone 9b)

Ya, as with many other types of plants (brugmansias come to
mind), if you have an unidentified cultivar, unless there's something especially unique or stand out about it (in other words, to be able to make a 100% accurate id), it's better to just leave them as unidentified. That's one way many ID crisises regarding mislabeled plants begin in the first place.

I have a number of unknown varieties that I grow - several of them were in our yard when we moved into the house, a few others had tags, err... "borrowed" by neighborhood fluffy-tailed tree rats. Not to mention, my JRT, Jimmy, like to "help" me garden sometimes... X^/ Unfortunately, they'll just have to stay as pretty NOID's.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.