Poinsettia Patrol

Oviedo, FL(Zone 9b)

My heavy lifting plant season has begun at work. My boss began putting the Christmas poinsettias in at most of our clients' offices and lobbies. I have gone from 0 to 52 plants today and that's just one of my routes about 7 buildings. The over-the-top numbers are from one office where they stuffed 20 of the 10" pot sized ones into their not-so-large lobby. You can't get near the front desk which has two more smaller poinsettias on it. They had 4 last year. I know there are more since I am doing another route tomorrow and she has been there already earlier this week. It is now my job to keep them alive for the next three weeks. On the good side, my boss has had nice warm weather to make the deliveries in. No frozen ones this year. Sigh.
My husband knows NOT to get me one for Christmas!
What do you think of Poinsettias?
Martha

(Ronnie), PA(Zone 6b)

Luv em for Christmas but after that their history!!

Fairfield County, CT(Zone 6b)

I have four on the window sill of my cubicle right now from previous years. I don't know why I keep them alive - I just can't bare the thought of killing a living plant on purpose. Sigh.

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

LOL Yank!! Thats too cute, I end up doing them in one way or another. The longest i've ever kept one alive was 10 months.

Ffld County, CT(Zone 6b)

I too love them for Christmas, but after that, I can live without them. I usually end up killing them anyway, whether I want to or not.

My co-worker has a great indoor green thumb, and she kept some alive at work from last year. I thought that around April they were just sad to have still sitting there, kind of leggy and bare, but now they have grown and are full and lush and look pretty darn good for living in a library for a year - but I don't think they are going to color up at all.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

It's a shame that mine never last. I ended up just buying a fake one for my living room.( I know, I know, horrors!)

Eastern Long Island, NY(Zone 7a)

I've got fake ones I put outside. I put them in styrofoam and place them in pots for the holiday season. It's either that or nothing, since nothing is going to last out there in -3 degrees!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I like red pointysettas for the holidays but last year I got a big red amaryllis instead and I think I like them better now ^_^

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

They're nice. Way too much trouble to try to keep going. Compost. It's the number one plant grown.

Huron, OH(Zone 5b)

DH likes them. I let him get a small one today. I prefer x-mas cactus.

Sale is on... 4/ $10 at the supermarket!

('incognito' cell phone pic taken real fast so that no one sees me taking it! LOL!)

Thumbnail by WaterCan2
Ffld County, CT(Zone 6b)

Are those bags of charcoal on the shelves in the back, lol? My husband will gladly grill in the snow, but I have to say I've never seen charcoal and pointsettias being sold next to each other, lol!

Yep, good time to buy them too! (½ price!)

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

I like them to decorate the house, but I'm not sure about some of these new funky colors, and the ones with sparkles????

I toss mine out when I'm done, as I kill them anyway. I too hate to kill something living, but if I'm going to do it anyway, might as well be sooner than later.

Oviedo, FL(Zone 9b)

I like the spotted ones, actually. but they never order those for offices.
Neat picture from the market!
Martha

S of Lake Ontario, NY(Zone 6a)

I bought 9 fake ones a couple years ago and have them in a plant stand. I tried live ones but our house is too cold when no one is home and it was too dark where I want them. I kept having to go out and buy another to replace a dead one.

(Zone 5b)

I tried putting big fake ones outside, but it's so windy here they kept blowing over. I like them in a display, but not so much on their own.

South Hamilton, MA

Not my plant, luckily we don't have room. Our white cyclamen has bloomed during the last three years. Got it from church after holidays were over. Head of the flower guild was trying to find homes for them & no, I didn't want a poinsetta. My apricot colored Christmas cactus is showing buds.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I love poincettas ,the more unusual coloring the better.
NO glitter on the petals please ( why do marketers thing it sells uuuuggggh)
Here are the 2 I bought.The decorate the seperation between Kit.and Livingroom, along with hand paintedsanta gourdes and a seated reindeer.

Thumbnail by ge1836
Land of OZ, CT(Zone 6a)

Pretty plants--Looove the Santa Gourds!!!

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Arent they the nuts?
I wish I could have bought more and have a whole army of them with croked tops going every which way.

Land of OZ, CT(Zone 6a)

One of these days I'm gonna try gourd art. Did you know there is one variety of gourd that naturally grows into the perfect shape of a swan?

Danville, IN

I love to use live poinsettias, and luckily I have a sunroom that I use to rotate my four pots to keep them all going. I have one each of red, pink with white edges, and a brassy color, and one that is a combo of red, pink, and white plants. They were ridiculously cheap ($10) for such huge plants at WalMart. Got them early, before they killed them with neglect. With the sunroom, I keep them going through the winter as they really brighten the days, then into the compost heap they go.

This message was edited Dec 7, 2009 12:37 PM

Thumbnail by HoosierGreen
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Those are beauties

Land of OZ, CT(Zone 6a)

Wow! Those are gorgeously full.....Walmart?!!! Who knew?

Oviedo, FL(Zone 9b)

I like those. I wish people would think outside the poinsettia color box once in a while at work. I have 34 more from this past week's routes. that makes 86 altogether. The ones at the place with 22 in the reception area held up pretty well. I had only one struggling there. The rest looked great. did you know that some people are allergic to them?
Anyhow, they don't look too bad.
Only two more weeks to keep them going!
Martha

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

I got a coupon from the HD garden club for a buy one get one free poinsettia

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

lucky

Danville, IN

They're already reduced at the big box stores in this area. Still look great too. I wonder how the growers even break even.

Has anyone noticed that there are very few of those kinda garish colored and glittered poinsettia for sale this year, at least in this area? Last year, they were all over the place, beginning at WalMart, and seemed to sell well. My mother-in-law loved her bright blue glittered one. This year, none at WalMart and just a few other places. I don't miss them.

Poughkeepsie, NY(Zone 6a)

I really like them. Even AFTER the holidays. I like them as foliage plants the rest of the year. They are very easy IMHO. Just let dry out almost all the way between waterings and put in bright, defused light. I cut mine back half way in the early summer.

Most people don't like them because they can be hard to get to color up again. It's really not that hard.

Jersey Shore, NJ(Zone 7a)

I love Poinsettias for the Christmas season. They usually last until sometime in February then they join compost heaven. However, I visited the island of Saba many, many years ago. There is nothing like the sight of glowing Pointsettias growing all over with no pots on their behind. It was magnificent!

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

what a treat.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I was in Mexico for Christmas one year and saw a 6 foot pointysetta hedge blooming. I never knew they got that big!

This was in Mexico, I think it is in the family?

Thumbnail by debi_k
(Zone 5b)

wow how pretty debilu!

Certainly looks like it Deb. Aren't they gorgeous in their home terrain?

Yes!

Thumbnail by debi_k

Wow, l didn't notice the yellow flower in the first pic. How captivating!!

Land of OZ, CT(Zone 6a)

Nice!!!!

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Very unusual!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.