Will they survive?

Ladysmith, BC(Zone 8a)

I live in Zone 8a and this is the first winter I will have a pond, infact the pond has just been dug this week, but not completed yet!

I bought some water lilies, on sale - they are in a bucket at the moment.

Question: will they survive zone 8a winters? We get very little snow, if we are very UNLUCKY will have one major snow fall in about January or February and then nothing else. The daffodils start to bloom here in late February or early March so pretty mild.

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

is it a hardy or a tropical? I can even keep tropicals alive here, just one county north of zone 8. You need to put them in the deepest part of the pond after the first freeze. Cut off dead parts first. Try this site for more info www.theplantplace.com

Wyandotte, MI(Zone 5a)

i have a tropical in zone 5 that survives as long as i drop it to the 47" deep part of my pond. just bring them up in the spring and let them grow!

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

I had two tropicals make it here last year zone 7. I put them all in the deepest part of the pond too.

Cedar Key, FL(Zone 9a)

lwend5763,what tropical did you drop to the bottom??I'd love to do that with mine but I'm too scared.My pond is 4 foot in the middle.Do ya think it would make it???

Wyandotte, MI(Zone 5a)

not sure on the name of it. i wasnt into names when i first started my pond. its been 7 years now and the tropical has survived so far. one year i think it only went down to the second shelf in the pond which was 2 feet down. good luck if you try it i know how expensive they are. we have a place here that will winter your tropicals for you. however, you dont get the same one back every year.
LW

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.