need suggestions for brightening up this area

(Zone 5b)

good morning Smiley! check it out, it's so pretty!
http://www.outsidepride.com/seed/ground-cover-seed/ice-plant-groundcover-seed.html

Kenmore, NY(Zone 6a)

those *are* pretty

Leicester, NC(Zone 8a)

Don't plant in full sun Lynnie, and they need furtile rich soil to grow well. Planted a whole trash bag of it on "The Bank", soil is more clay and full sun mostly, they wouldn't thrive. Neighbors have some in shade and rich soil and they spread like wildfire.

(Zone 5b)

I think your full sun is worse than my full sun Flowers.

Leicester, NC(Zone 8a)

May be Lynnie, I planted in two different locations and they didn't thrive in either place. I then realized they needed very good soil and just the right shade sun ratio. They are very pretty ground cover when established and spread fairly fast. I have really good luck with a creeping charlie type ground cover, just scratched the dirt and layed some in and it is now taking over under the porch and part of the front yard which suits me just fine. Less weeds in the yard and pretty to look at and walk on.

(Zone 5b)

a friend in CA just planted ice plant, he's very happy with it.

Melfa, VA(Zone 8a)

Hmmmmm... I didn't even look at the requirements for the ice plants I planted last summer! It just flew through my mind...succulent, sun, hot!
So, where did I plant them? On the east side of the house in my cactus bed! Soil is sand...not implemented, but they were growing so fast by last winter I had tokeep pulling them back so they wouldn't over run other plants! Will see how they do this summer. they are planted on the Eastern shore of VA.
Deb

Somerset, United States

I love those links that were suggested early in the thread. Thanks for the share.

~ Sam

(Zone 5b)

estrail1rider let us know how your ice plants are!

my emerald blue thyme is annoying me...it's the wrong color....I was going to move it to this area but only if it promises not to bloom at the same time as the little redbud tree.

Newnan, GA(Zone 7b)

Lynnie,
Can't help with your problem but I wanted to thank Moon and Jen for the great links on the groundcovers. The epiphany light came on and all of a sudden one of my problems was solved. I even became a fan of Stepables on Facebook!

Anybody who didn't see Randolph Scott in the window is blind. Handsome devil.

Prairieville, LA(Zone 9a)

I do agree Judy....LOL How could anyone miss that chiseled jawline? GRIN Glad the links were of use to you.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.