Is this Mango tree in good health?

Pahoa, HI(Zone 10b)

Sorry for the bad photos of this I could not get a really good one but this is the best.
I am located in zone 11, around the 1000' elevation of the east side of the Big Island of Hawaii, and we get over 120" of rain per year. As you can see there are white spots and yellow spots that are only on the lower branches thus far.

Thumbnail by Hawaii_Farms

Your drainage should be good. I haven't seen spots like that here, but what do I know? Have you searched closely for bugs?

(See if your camera has a close-up function, usually a little picture of a flower.)

Pahoa, HI(Zone 10b)

Here is a new one that is more clear...and I do not see any bugs but that does not mean much...lol.

Thumbnail by Hawaii_Farms

Ooo, that looks like a fungus. I'd put a ;eaf in a ziplock and take it to a nursery and ask. Ziplock to not be taking them a problem. Are there other mangoes in your neighborhood? Go look at them. Mangoes do like rain, but not tooo much rain.

Let us know!

Pahoa, HI(Zone 10b)

The bad thing is that the people that work in the nurserys around here do not know anything about plants it took me over an hour of talking to people to find out what hardiness zone I was in here, and some of the people did not even know what I was talking about...lol.

Pahoa, HI(Zone 10b)

Any ideas on the type of Fungus? Or what I might try?

I have no idea. Google mango diseases, and maybe click on images to see if you can find a match. The mango trees here don't seem to have any problems, so I have no education.

Pahoa, HI(Zone 10b)

Oh man I just noticed that that is a photo of a Avocado tree...lol. This fungus is on the avos, mangoes, longons, and Rambutans that we have.

Keaau, HI

Hi Hawaii_Farms,

Do you know the variety of Mango that you have.

1,000 ft. elev. is a bit high in this area to raise Mangos, because it is so wet here. Mangos are very susceptible to anthracnose disease. Be sure to keep up on the nutrition of the tree and give it plenty of calcium carbonate and dolomite.

At 1,000 ft. you are in Zone 10 b; Zone 11 is down at the coast.

Aloha, Dave

Keaau, HI

If those legions on the leaf turn black, it is probably anthracnose. It is because of being too wet.

Pahoa, HI(Zone 10b)

Thanks man for all the information Dave...I will keep my eye on the trees but I am not sure if they will turn black because some of the trees have it in a more advanced stage and the very very center of the "fungus" is the only black area.

Thanks again man.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.