December 2009

Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

Calendar December 2009:

http://www.timeanddate.com/calendar/custom.html?year=2009&month=12&country=1&typ=1&cols=1&hol=8519551&display=1&df=1

Well, I just got all finish but I ran out of the treated deck wood is 1 more of 16 ft. So, I finish 14 rows today for 5 hours.... Then I did drill screws some of it but not all cause I gonna be sore again for next day also it will be snow and cold...

Full blooms CC:

Thumbnail by JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

I have 1974 Ford F-100 390 so I have get tire fix (flat) this week...

I will get pix of this truck this weekend as I can bring my truck new home! lol...

suburban K.C., MO(Zone 6a)

That truck will be a hauler if thats what you want to do with it. I sold my F-100 around Sept. 08'. About Dec. 08' I got a notice from the city of Kansas City, MO. that it had been abandoned and towed and was in storage at their lot and it would take five hundred some dollars to get it back. What had happened was apparently the guy that bought it from me never titled and licensed it..lol I called them and told them "I sold that truck". I wasn't on the hook for it or anything, I had the bill of sale. I asked out of curiousity how much to get it out, I could've got it back if I wanted. But, they wanted more for the towing and storage by almost double than what it was worth. That $500 some didn't even include the ticket. Not to mention it probably stalled because they ran it out of oil and kept driving it, and likely ruined the engine.
It would use all the oil up in a day, it had a terrible leak, probably a destroyed rear main oil seal, I never looked into it. I would park it at the end and oil would just run underneath it. I told the guy that bot it that it uses oil bad, he knew.
I always thot it was neat how it was called a "Ranger" then, and now the "Ranger" is a light truck about half the size as the old one. A friend of mine is a bus-driver and she said she thinks she sees it on her route. I thot about looking it up sometime and talking to the new owner and see what they paid for it at police auction and what they have planned for it and stuff, if thats even the truck.
Wow, they just said on the 5:00 news that the low Friday is forecast to be 16 degrees! We'll see how close they are..lol
Nice Christmas Cactus there. An Aunt has got two, one that blooms red and one that blooms white.
I oughta get a cutting from each and pot it up in one pot and have a CC that blooms red and white in Dec.!

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Small chance of some snow tomorrow also around here. But further east and south of here major accumulation. I want major accumulation here!! LOL

Major accumulation?! Thats okay with me too actually! I got birdseed ready also.
Aren't gravel roads harder to navigate in deep snow?

Humansville, MO

hi all
good luck with your truck
i got me a ply car it is a 1998
my xmas gift
it going to be cold all week
elle

Actually it would be easier to get by on gravel than asphalt because you can grip the gravel and if you need to get some gravel up on the surface you just spin your tires. We do that with our driveway and road both. The driveway is a hill and it starts at the bottom of 2 hills. But as long as there is no ice we have no trouble with getting around. Ice is a whole other story and last season when the snow kept melting and then refreezing we had a heck of a time getting around but 4 wheel drive helps. lol

A Plymouth Breeze? Thats a good Christmas present. Thats a good car, a sister had one a while back.
Yeah, 4 wheel drive is nice. My roommate has a Dodge Durango 4wd that I sometimes drive and if you get in trouble in snow or ice in a parking lot or something, you can just turn a dial to get out. Of course 4wd is no good generally on ice or at a higher speed. If its all icy I'll just walk..lol

Eeek! Working on a deck, that is some hard work, at least its mostly been clear outside.

There is no walking around here. lol. You would break a leg that way. Better to drive and entertain everyone by doing ballet with your vehicle. LOL

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

Will, if you are walking on ice you really need a product called YakTraks on your shoes or something like them. I fell on the ice last Dec. 1st last year and shattered my wrist. Then I fell again the end of Feb. the day after the last cast was removed. Had I not had on the heavy duty brace I would have shattered it again.

This message was edited Dec 2, 2009 11:11 PM

Ewwww.. that sounds painful EvaMae. I remember when that happened to you. I cringe at that too, that is falling pretty hard. And then again in Feb.,? I think I'm gonna pass out just thinking about it! Actually, needles make me pass right out like half the time. I've fallen hard on ice but I've been lucky enuff not to break anything yet. Years ago, a friend of mine's wife fell on ice at a daycare's parking lot and she sued them, successfully from what I recall.
I have thought about sliding or crawling, in the future, on ice if I have to! I'll do that ballet if I have to! : ) I've only had 1 broken bone in my life and that laid me up good, I had to take off work for 6 weeks. Having the foot ran over by a 1970 F-100 doesn't do the foot much good..lol I don't want another broken bone, that stinks.

Humansville, MO

hi all
my car do not have 4 w drive
but i love it
elle

No, but it gets much better mileage. Front wheel drive like your Plymouth is also good in bad weather.
Its a good choice, a reliable car. My 96' Ford 2wd (rear wheel drive) that I drive is bad in the snow.
Heres a photo of the monster. I thought the mileage might be a little better because its a 6 cylinder but I have checked
the mileage before, its only around 14 mpg. Not only is the mileage bad, but after I bought it last year I discovered it uses oil.

Thumbnail by shortleaf
Gravois Mills, MO

Trouble with a lot of old trucks is they cost a fortune to drive and keep up. I have driven Rangers for years. Because they are small odes not mean they do any better for gas however. My old one was a 93 2 wheeel drive 4 automatic 4 speed and it got 14 mpg and maybe 15-16 with the tail gate down. One I got now get 19 around local and 21 to as high as 23 on the hwy depending on how it is driven and in 2 wheel drive.

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

Modern technology has improved many things about the vehicles we drive. For the sake of the environment we are living in and leaving to future generations we need to use common sense when it comes to pollution and fuel consumption.

Cold but clear today. Some wind but not bad. Te sun is geginning to shine nicely & that will warm things up in a hurry.

My bird feeders are full, I need to hang the suet cakes I have in the 'fridge for the birds that like them. They were on sale in the summer and I bought a few of them. I'll start saving the fat from the steaks at the cafe' once in a while to make my own for the birds.

GOD bless and keep each of you. BBL

Gravois Mills, MO

Leaflady---- That is true about technology. I just wish america would keep up with the rest of the world. Ford is getting a lot of help from Volvo. The 6 speed chain transmissions they are putting into some models is a good example. Taurus has them. Those transmissions have been around in europe for years. We have one in our ford Freestyle. They are also in BMW, Opel and Volvo that I know of. In passenger cars they are very durable transmissions. They are six speed and do not really shift as we think of shifting. they act something like a chain on a multi speed bike works is what they tell me.

Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

Here's the truck I brought...

Thumbnail by JuJu55

Thats a truck that was made to work!

Camdenton, MO(Zone 6a)

I agree with Will - that is a work truck! That's great, Rusty.

Cold day today. Thermometer says 41 but it feels colder. Probably because the humidity is high and there's a slight wind from the north. That's the kind of cold that goes right through ya! Still, a few of our garden club members are going to clean up and decorate the Library garden, which we are in charge of. Wish us luck! Better yet... wish us warmth!! :-)

Those of you north of I-70 better be preparing for all the snow we have coming in tonight. You all are gonna get hit pretty hard. I have to worry about ice since we will be on the fringes of the storm getting sleet and rain along with some snow.

Salina, KS(Zone 6a)

Forecast for This part of Kansas has changed for 6" to 10", with a 40 mph wind.

Farmer that DH is hauling grain for is still out cutting & they hope to get that field finished. They probably have 5 days total of cutting left.

Hope they get it finished in time!!

Gravois Mills, MO

I agree also a big full sized Ford like F-250 is meant to work. But being retired I am not hualing stuff like I am building a house. I have had nearly a ton of manure in a Ranger with no problem plus it will carry 4x8 sheets of plywpood are whatever. I just do not need all that space. The little truck is cheap to operate and that helps also.

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

I have a 4' X 8' open top trailer that can haul about 1000# and that is plenty for me. I can haul 4' X 8' sheets of whatever too. There is a tailgail that holds in loose stuff if we need it to. Being lower to the ground than a pickup bed and tilting like it does is really handy for an older woman who isn't as strong as I use to be.

Gravois Mills, MO

I go along with you leaf lady. I was thinking about a trailor and might still build one. We will leave that hard stuff for these young wipper snippers like pepper.

Columbia, MO(Zone 5b)

I haven't taken my cannas out of the ground yet you think they will still be OK?

We do need more economically and environmentally-friendly ways of transportation. Although, with all the transportation, commuting, industry and other greedy fields, I don't see how big change can be possible soon. We recycle paper-board, which includes card-board, magazines and newspaper and compost, cfl bulbs, we have done all that for years. As individuals, there is only so much that can be done. 18 wheelers still have to be pulled, electricity still has to be generated, people want to feel safe on the road, much stuff can't easily be hauled in a bicycle basket etc. Its about number one for many, an incandescent bulb costs much less, a landscaping business can't be successful using a Smart-Car etc. Those are just examples, you see what I'm saying? I'm glad to see concern and technology taking a turn for the better, but I think it will take a long time to see significant changes unfortunately. Sentiment is finally changing on a global level and I think the need to be cleaner and less harmful is being realized as a necessity more now. I'll be one of the first in line to help carry it out too, and probably half the people I know are right there with it.
A close family member has a 95' Ranger and she has used the snot out of it for everything, including hauling. It is nearly an ideal vehicle for the casual commuter/hauler. But, for heavy hauling of materials (and trip reduction), a full size truck can't be beat. A light truck Ranger's bed is much smaller everywhere, the depth of the bed is much less than a full size truck.
A light truck Ranger could probably tow a ton under stress, but a ton in the bed of a light truck Ranger is a near impossibility, if not the weight then also the dimensions of the truck bed. The towing capacity of a truck is about 3 times what can be hauled in the bed of the same truck.
I've had around a ton of dirt in my old 1970 Ford Ranger F-100 (half ton), like Rusty's, and I could really tell from the way it sat and handled. It had over-load leaf springs even and they'd be flat, the rear tires were nearly touching the fenders when it was that full in the bed. It was a towing beast too, I never had anything in a trailer that that truck wouldn't tow. I could carry 4 x 8 sheets of anything (flat, and with the tailgate closed). Heres a photo of it full of dirt and stuck in a mud-hole after I spun the tires some..lol.. it had to be pulled out 2 days later..lol
A light duty or medium duty truck is really all the casual hauler needs though. I know I could've saved a lot in gas all those years but I would've had to worry about hauling enuff and the number of trips when I did.

It was just like that, hehe, north of the river or so it was snowing and south of the river it was just rain or a mix of snow, sleet and rain, I saw that on the news when it happened as well. I haven't been outside yet, but the rain doesn't look like it has frozen on the ground, just stuff off the ground like windshields unfortunately..lol
Very possibly allan, but I saw where 4 degrees F is forecasted for a low on Thurs. I think. I'd try to get them out before that.
Just having friendly conversation, hope everyone has a nice Christmas and a Happy New Year!
Will
p.s. freezing maybe rain, yuck!

This message was edited Dec 8, 2009 9:56 AM

Thumbnail by shortleaf
Gravois Mills, MO

What bothers me shortleaf is the lack of interest in developing new technology in this country. Like the 6 speed chain transmission that comes from Europe that is in my car. I also have been told the Japanesse have at least 30 companies working on developing high capacity long life batteries for cars. Last I heard we have 2 companies in this country ingaged in that. In Europe and the Middle East They have been building cars,trucks and everything else that run on methane and natural gas. This has been going on now for a few years. Russia is the leader in that area. Here in this country they do not even bother to discuss it hardly. Russia is building natural gas stations at a very fast rate over there in those regions. Like you say the greedy interest or not interested in these things.

I just hate it when I go to a place like Wallmart or Lowes and cannot find anything not made in China.

I go along with you about the light duty trucks being a casual truck. I do not need to haul a lot of heavy stuff. I looked it up in my trucks book the hauling capacity and it is 9500 lbs GW. I thought it was something like that. I see people towing big boats around here with them a lot that I know go 4000 - 5000 lbs. I will admit I wonder if my 91 would have done that. The one I have now i hope to keep for the rest of my days.

As far as the trailor goes we have boat trailors of all sizes and funtions around this area just sitting there not being used. A lot of them you can get dirt cheap. I would like to find one about 3-4000 lb capacity with a tilting capability to build a box and bed it.

Yeah, its surprising that other countries regard that big problem so much more than America does. Its bad enuff that I may or may not get Social Security..lol I think I'm moving..lol.. j/k! not going anywhere, I'd be dead inside a month!

I have a home-made trailer that I bought for $400 over 5 years ago. It has a solid steel floor, leaf springs and a mobile home axle/wheels. It is a hauler, but I'd be nervous if I had much more than 2 tons in it (4,000 lbs). I had a little $199.99 HarborFreight trailer that I hauled stuff to the spring 07' RU in Sedalia and it only had a 1,000 lb. capacity but it came in very handy to pull behind my Kia. In October that year it was stolen. I saw that trailer recently in their flyer for $259.99, its a great trailer to haul a lawnmower or just to have for use with a car. Its only like 33 inches wide and 55 inches long, but it has a removable tailgate and metal bed sides.

http://www.therangerstation.com/resources/RangerHistory.htm
Scroll down to 2005 Ranger here, a good chart is on display there.
"Towing/Payload Capacity: Payload is 1260 lb for all models and maximum towing capacity is 5860 lb when equipped with the 4.0-liter V6."

I think "towing capacity" and "payload" or bed contents is often confused. I'm assuming by hauling capacity your referring to towing capacity?
I know there is many options out there in the way of engine upgrades, towing packages and suspension upgrades, but the towing capacity for a regular production Ranger is only around 3-4 thousand pounds maximum.
I wouldn't try to tow more than 6-7,000 lbs. in an old F-100 Ranger and I'd think (1 US short ton, 2,000 lbs.) in the bed (payload) would be about the maximum for the old F-100. If I had a newer Ranger I'd be nervous with much more than a thousand pounds in the bed.
http://www.onlineconversion.com/faq_09.htm
Here is a photo of my current truck hooked up to my home-made trailer.

The freezing rain has been coming down. I need to do like that oatmeal commercial and take to the sky! lol

Thumbnail by shortleaf
Camdenton, MO(Zone 6a)

Freezing rain - yuck!!! It's raining here (regular rain, not freezing rain). It's supposed to get down to 20 degrees tonight, and only 24 for a high tomorrow, so I imagine our roads will be slick. Everybody be careful out there.

I was out driving a few minutes ago and its regular rain, not freezing yet. One of the home health aides for my room-mates Mom was leaving and hollered back that it was freezing rain. I bet it will later but not freezing yet.
Speaking of recycling I went to recycle a load a little while ago. I even took a photo, sorry nothing better to do! : ) lol
Wow, they broke thru on the news with a Winter weather advisory, it sounds like its gonna get nasty.

Thumbnail by shortleaf
Gravois Mills, MO

shortleaf I do not intend to be putting over 1000 lbs in the bed of that truck. It is a new Ranger extended cab with off the road package, sprayed in bed liner and full alum folding cover. To say it is my pride and joy is a understatement. Only new truck I ever owned. I tend to carry a rag around and wipe specs of dirt off it. That is one reason I am thinking about the trailor. carry the turkey manure and cow manure in that. besides the scoops on the loaders fit it better.

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

Fox 4 News has all kinds of cancellations for churches and schools in the K.C. area. I don't know K.C. well enough to know if it is in one area which must be quite large or just patchy. St. Joseph had a lot on the ground this morning.

We've had reg. but cold rain all day. I have ice melt tho just in case.

I have the meat from one whole deer in the freezer if I counted the legs correctly. Since I only salvaged part of one small rib cage I'm hanging leg bones and will hang the neck/head. I'll try to skin those back as the meat is eaten by the birds. I'll keep most of the bones in bread bags in the freezer and only get them out when previous ones are stripped.

Guess I better see what else I can do to accomplish something before bedtime.

GOD bless and keep each of you.

That is about the ideal vehicle, really, I am envious! : )
I would baby it too! I'd check into what size hitch it requires if you haven't got a hitch receiver installed, a 2" hitch is nice and I think gives a lot more flexibility and options on what you can pull. A 1 1/4" hitch is okay, thats what usually goes on a car, thats what I had on the Kia, the towing capacity just isn't as high.
Seriously, thats the exact vehicle I would likely get if I had the moulah. Its a nice compromise of about all the needs of the average driver. They sell a nice trailer at Harborfreighttools that I always wanted. Its this one -
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=42709
The only bad thing is it requires a 1 7/8" ball hitch. But, that'd be no big thing. I have the double ball hitch, which is nice to have to go between 2" and 1 7/8". Hbf has it also very reasonable. I got mine there a while back for $13.99 on sale.-
http://search.harborfreight.com/cpisearch/web/search.do?keyword=double+ball+hitch&Submit=Go
It says only 8" wheels on the above trailer, but thats misleading, its the hub thats 8" not the whole wheel and tire,
its actually much bigger. But, theres the trailer like it with 12" wheels and a little higher capacity. Come on up to Independence and I'll go with you to Hbf if you like. : )
That trailer that I mentioned up there that was stolen was Hbf's little box trailer-
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=2948 , oops it only has an 800 lb. capacity.
The pic of my red truck up there with my home-made green trailer came in handy for doing the foreclosure clean-outs I did Summer before last. Those Hbf trailers up there that I mentioned aren't quite big enuff for that. Its always good to have a selection of trailers..lol
My deed for the day was only recycling the paper-board and doing dishes today. You do that too leaflady? I try to accomplish stuff everyday too.

Tomorrow is gonna be a mess with the rain freezing overnight and untreated roads getting really slick. So watch the driving tomorrow in the area. And don't go north of the airport if you can avoid it. They will get hammered later and with the winds tomorrow the visiblity will be almost nothing.

My dad has a ranger that he uses for everyday driving. He loves the little thing. He can get around pretty quickly in it and gets great gas mileage. He has a 3/4 ton that he uses also for big loads but the tranny needs rebuilt so unless he has a big load that can't be hauled with my truck he lets it sit. Doesn't help that it has a 460 in it so the gas mileage isn't worth mentioning. lol. I just drive a half ton 4wd but I get great gas mileage and it's rides great too so I love it. And everyone who has seen it will tell you I don't wash it. LOL. As soon as I hit the roads around here it gets dirty so I let the rain take care ot it.

It's offciallly snowing here now!! Coming down pretty good too!!

It was really coming down here too a few minutes ago when I took the aide to the bus-stop for the last run there today.
My truck doesn't do too good in the snow but at least it has the new tires that Tires Plus gouged me on last year..lol
The snow should be accumulated good by morning when they say it will be 14 degrees, boy that will be nice for morning commuters! *sarcasm* lol Not me! I knew there was something good about not having a job! : )

I do have to work and not only that but pick up a coworker. lol. Have to leave 25 min earlier than I normally would since she's a couple miles on the other side of work. Just hope I don't run into idiots on the road.

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

Saying prayers for your safe driving, Pepper. Nothing resembling snow here yet.

GOD bless and keep each of you.

Humansville, MO

hi all
we had a little bit of snow
checking all the animal
elle

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.