Starting from seed

Albert Lea, MN(Zone 4b)

Hi everyone,
I'm fairly new around here so forgive me if this question has been asked before. Has anyone had luck starting their clematis from seed? I have a few large flowered hybrids that have set seed, but last year I tried without success (or, maybe I just didn't wait long enough??) Does anyone have any advice or know of any links & resources I can look at? Thanks!
Nancy

Athens, PA

Nancy

Clematis from seed can take a while to germinate. Check out Brian Collingwood's website http://www.bcollingwood.com/ He has bee doing it for a long time and gets some really amazing results. The trick is waiting for the seed to germinate.

Timeinabottle has had some clem seeds germinate recently. Here is their posting. http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/969342/

I have decided to do this as well. I have some seeds I planted that are up against the house. I will see next fall what kind of germination I will get from these seeds. I have also thought about cross pollinating some of my various clems to see what I end up getting.

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Carolyn - did you plant them directly into the soil or in pots of soil?

Albert Lea, MN(Zone 4b)

Thanks Carolyn! I'll check those out asap.

Does anyone know whether or not the seeds I recently found would still be viable after being exposed to frost/freezing temperatures? We usually get our first frost in September and nights have been in the 20's & 30's since October...I didn't discover these seeds until this weekend.

I don't know but can't see that you'd have anything to lose by trying.

Athens, PA

Arlene

I put them in pots of soil that are against the house in an alcove type area. I thought by putting these pots in this protected area, that I could get closer to the type of winter environment that Timeinabottle had created. I figure the time will pass anyway......

I will tell you though, I have been thinking about different clems that I could cross pollinate.....could be interesting, don't you think?

You do have acres, don't you? Do you realize what will happen "just to see"? I did that with daylilies and now it's 1,364 daylilies later plus all I bought!

It's very habit forming and the chances of throwing away something you grow is like getting rid of a good but ugly dog.

Athens, PA

Arlene

you are too funny...... I am on a 1/3 of an acre and I live in town......

Oh dear!

Well, you really don't need that silly driveway and garage, do you?

Athens, PA

The funny thing is that I mentioned to my husband this past summer, I was thinking of approaching our next door neighbors to see if I could 'extend my gardening' to their yard as well as ours as they are not yard/garden people. He didn't think it would be a good idea, so I never said anything to them......anyway.... the thought definitely crossed my mind....^_^

Tell, don't ask! Inform them you'll be beautifying their property with your own talent and hard work. If they give you an argument I'll send Big Bruiser over!

Center, TX

Hi, I just planted some clematis seeds and I need to know if they are hardy in zone 8B. I know we get below freezing temps through the winter. Any help appreciated. Alda

I hope this helps: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/969342/

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.