Herbs on your Holiday wish list

Middleburgh, NY

Okay, only for those good boys and girls, what sort of herbs are on your wish list?

I would like:
Scot's lovage (Ligusticum scoticum)
Dwarf Borage (Borago pygmaea)
High John (Ipomaea jalapa)
Lomatium
Shatavari (Asparagus racemosus)

I'm sure there's more, but it's a start...now, how about you?

Belton, TX

Hummm...it isn't so much about finding new herbs, but I often wish that I could grow certain herbs that won't take the weather in my area...especially some of the more colorful culinary sages such as lime ripple, lavender, and variegated salvias...they are so colorful and add a nifty zip in salads...

Middleburgh, NY

I have lavender sage, but have not heard of lime ripple. (lavender salve and spray is in box ready to be mailed out - really! txaggiegal!)

(Sheryl) Gainesboro, TN(Zone 6b)

Lavender sage??? Hmmm.... does that pertain to the scent or the color?

Me, if I can just keep what I have alive over the winter, I'll be happy!

Middleburgh, NY

Lavender sage is Salvia lavendulifolia (aka Spanish sage). It really does have a flavor of lavender and sage mixed together. It is smaller than regular garden sage. Really nice!

LOL - thanks, now I have an herbal wish list! *sigh*...

Murphysboro, IL(Zone 6b)

As for me, I would LOVE some red-flowered comfrey (Symphytum X Rubrum). Every year I search for a U.S. source for it, and all I find is a bunch of nurseries in the U.K. Someone here must grow it!

Fremont, OH(Zone 5b)

sweet woodruff
blue indigo(batisma)
feverfer
comfrey

Middleburgh, NY

Loligo, Well Sweep Herb Farm in NJ carries "Raspberry Queen" comfrey, which is a rubrum. Look for it under Symphytum. They also have white, blue, pink and yellow flowering varieties as well.

Murphysboro, IL(Zone 6b)

Whoo-hoo, Christmas just came early! Thanks, betty!

Middleburgh, NY

You are welcome. Just don't blame me for the credit card bills come January....

NE Medina Co., TX(Zone 8a)

Was that Lomatium dissectum? I found some at Horizon Herbs. Also had Greek Mountain Tea, which I've heard is a nice kind of tea, good for you, too! I'm hopeful of a good year for plants in 2010. Because of a very severe drought and extreme heat, it's been really hard lately to grow plants. Glad that's over!

Middleburgh, NY

Linda, Horizon Herbs is one of my favorite places to get herbs. Companion Plants in Ohio is good too. As is Crimson Sage. You are having severe drought and we have had back-to-back years of two of the rainiest years since records have been kept in NY state. I've been reminiscing about the dry days of when I lived in England!

Ozone, AR(Zone 6a)

Violap, Don't know if you really want comfrey.
That stuff goes weed wild, and is hard to get rid of.
If you really want some i can send you some in another 6 weeks if you'll remind me.
Do you want about 10-20 plants? LOL
Vickie

Southborough, MA(Zone 6a)

Violap- I have 3 out of 4 on your list I can share. (SW, Comfrey, and Feverfew) Ping me in April.

My wish list-
Arnica Montana - had one year and can't find in my area on east coast (yep, can get through horizon), really need this one due to recurring injuries :)
Blue Cohosh
Unicorn root
Blood root

I'm going for an endangered theme this year, as I bought some land this year and am setting it aside as sanctuary. The land is partly my side yard, and partly wooded and has wetlands in the back and is considered "unbuildable" for a home, but ok for agriculture. Got it very cheap as no one else wanted it, and it abuts my house.

That's great, congratulations!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Congrats herbspirit. Please post pics. Thanks muchly.

Somerset, KY(Zone 6b)

herbspirit,
I'd like some of your comfrey 2-3 plants would be nice. Do you want postage? or Trade?
I have Black Cohosh seeds, MayApple rootlings and bloodroot rootlings. The rootlings I only have a few of so can't do alot of trades for them this year.

Marti- That's blue cohosh(Caulophyllum thalictroides) I'm looking for, not black cohosh; very different plant.
But I'll be happy to share comfrey in the spring. I have lots.
Ping me in April.

Somerset, KY(Zone 6b)

I've been unable to find Blue Cohosh. Let me know if you do. I'll ping you in April about the comfrey. Thanks.

I'm told that Blue Cohosh is regulated by the Federal Goven and is only available to pharmacutical companys.

This message was edited Dec 30, 2009 7:03 PM

Fremont, OH(Zone 5b)

cando,
yes I want comfrey,I plan to use it in some salves and for helping my compost.I have an area out of the way that I can plant it.Let me know what you'll need for postage.
I really don't have much to trade yet.
Viola

Herbspirit,
I would love some sweet woodruff and feverfew.Also comfrey if I don't get it from Cando

Middleburgh, NY

herbspirit, our gardens are a certified Botanical Sanctuary through United Plant Savers. It's a great feeling growing endangered and at risk plants. Also, arnica chamissonis can be used medicinally as arnica montana. A. chamissonis is MUCH easier to grow in the east. I grow both, but A. montana is always a gamble as to whether it survives. I also grow blue cohosh, but it is a slow spreader for me and don't have enough to share yet. I have a single Unicorn root that I am babying along right now. Bloodroot grows very well here. I'd be happy to share if you email me in spring.

herbalbetty-

I'm a UpS member so I thought of turning it into a sanctuary. But no decision yet. I have to deal with a town easement first. Drainage issue, very long story. Either way, it's land to be used for a preserve, whether it's mine or UpS's doesn't matter much in the big picture.
That's a great idea regarding arnica chamissonis. I will give that try, I hadn't thought of that before.

Happy New year to all!

Falls Church, VA(Zone 7b)

Christmas is over but not the plant searches.

I'm looking for more scented geraniums: "Attar of Roses", Lemon, Lime, and whatever else. But this time, I'll grow them in pots. They are rabbit fare.

Also, I'm wanting Nigella( "Love in a Mist)", and Angelica.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Foxy, maybe we can meet up this spring when DeBaggio's greenhouse opens! I need to replace several of my SGs (watering issue, don't know how my fish/plant sitter "didn't see" all those big pots, waah), and they usually have a great selection.

Betty, is lavender sage tender? It sounds yummy!

Foxnfirefly-

I have both Nigella( "Love in a Mist)", and Angelica seeds- dmail me.

Middleburgh, NY

Jill, lavender sage is hardy up here in zone 5. It is quite lovely.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

*jots "lavender sage" down on her list*

Thanks, Betty!

(dang, just checked and DeBaggio has 4 pages of salvias, but not this one! LOL Good excuse for a mail order this year.)

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I just found seeds at JL Hudson's site! His shipping is reasonable, too, starting at $1.50... and I bet I could find a couple other things I "need" there. :-)

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

I shouldn't have clicked on this thread, Makes me long for spring.

I'd love to get some more greek mountain tea this year, mine burnt up in the greenhouse fire last winter. It was having a hard time surviving though.

and I can't for the life of me keep bloodroot alive, i've tried 3 years in a row, and I give up now.

I'd love to go travel a few web sites, but fear i'd get into $$ trouble LOL

but wanted to watch this thread for ideas.

POTTSBORO, TX(Zone 7b)

My Holiday wish is that I can rebuild my garden after my 800 mile move from Alabama to Texas.
Since then-- Alabama beat Texas for the national champs so I have holiday depression. :)

Somerset, KY(Zone 6b)

vortreker, I got you beat. I'm trying to rebuild my garden after a 2200 mile move from Calif to Kentucky. Seems like alot of people are moving these days.

Betty--gee, thanks!! I'll D-Mail you on the seeds. I just checked your list again and I am not familar with most of what those herbs are, except dwarf borage and asparagus. Is the High John a potato? I have Borage seed, but it's the big ones. They fell over last summer after rains. Not very tidy.

Critter--that's a great idea to meet at DBaggio's. I was sort of thinking to hit Dutch Plant Farm and Old Town Frederick in the Spring. I'll let you know when it's concrete.

That lavender sage does sound good. I'll keep my eyes out.

POTTSBORO, TX(Zone 7b)

Good luck marti001
let me know how it's going.

Herbspirit--I am sorry--I D-mailed Herbalbetty a response on the Nigella seed offer. I'd love to have the Nigella.

Dexter, ME

I have extra's of these coming in for trade:
BLUE COHOSH
WOOD BETONY
TOOTHWORT
BLACK COHOSH
Also this spring I have:
Raspberry
Egyptian walking onion
Black walnut tree
Elderberry
Mint-spearmint