Need experienced advice please

Grandview, TX(Zone 8a)

Two years ago I bought 2 bulbs from ebay. They were said to be amaryllis Papillo. I planted them in ground in morning sun/afternoon shade. The first year they just gave me leaves. So I thought maybe, 1. they weren't happy where they were, 2. they weren't looming size yet. So I dug them up. The bulbs had increased in size and looked healthy so I replanted them back in ground. This year I got larger leaves but still no flower. Am I doing something wrong or not doing enough? What's up? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Steph

Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

If the bulbs are getting larger they are probably doing OK. They may just not be old enough to bloom, the scapes are formed the season before. If they don't bloom next year, I would move them to a sunnier location.

Central, VA(Zone 7b)

I lived in zone 9 for a long time and my amarylis bloomed in March. Your conditions sound just fine. The bulbs need a period of cool and dry weather after their green leaves mature, dry and shrivile up. In our FL weather that generally happened in late summer and then they were pretty much on their own. Our winters could be as low as 28 one year and 50 the next, but the bulbs always bloomed in spring. I never had Pappillo, but once they reach their maturity, they should bloom, get larger, and naturalize. I think 2010 will be your year.

Grandview, TX(Zone 8a)

Here's hoping:) Thank you. I post pics if they bloom.

Poughkeepsie, NY(Zone 6a)

Also how often do you feed?

Grandview, TX(Zone 8a)

What and when do I need to?

Zephyrhills, FL

Bloom time of Papilio depends somewhat on the clone of it you are growing. There are quite a few different ones. The one most widely available, commercialy, these days, is Papilio Improved,which is a very vigorous selection of many thousands grown by the Dutch. This clone will bloom twice a year in your climate,sometimes,spring and fall.
Most of the species bloom normally during our fall/early winter. It may not bloom every year.
Del

Cramlington, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

I've had a Papilio for a couple of years now and although it's produced healthy leaves it hasn't bloomed yet.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.