My newest CP, A DARLINGTONIA!

Poughkeepsie, NY(Zone 6a)

Received this yesterday, they are 3 years old. about 1 inch tall. They are now in the fridge for the winter:

Thumbnail by tommyr2006
Arlington, TX

WOW! I have only seen pics of them online. Do they have the same basic requirements as most CP's except for the need for low temps?
C

They are known to be difficult but we'll see. The roots during the growing season need to be cool. I WILL master these! I have Darlingtonia seeds stratifying also that I will sow near the end of December.

Arlington, TX

Good luck and I hope to see the pics of the healthy plants soon.
C

Congrats Tommy

Sure hope you can get them to live. They are very cool. I have seed stratifying also but I'm pretty sure they will need a northern home to live IF they germinate. I was hoping with the cool weather I could at least get them started for someone.

Would love to see the pics as they come up. Don't have a clue what they look like young. I've only seen pics like Cheryl.

Barnesville (Charle, GA(Zone 8b)

those are pretty little plants. Good luck on growing
them.
RRM

Hiouchi, CA(Zone 8b)

i see not much discussion on Darlingtonia for cpl of years
Tommy how did your little ones do ?
i added new images to plantfiles http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/312191/
and here is an image showing a small group growing along side the road ditch with new growth
i should have gone last month to get new new growth of the smaller ones

Dick

Thumbnail by Strever

My 3 year old is now 4 and doing well. The seeds I started a year or so ago are still growing albeit slowly.

Barnesville (Charle, GA(Zone 8b)

Here is my little bog. It has an assortment of things in it. No Darlintonias, tho.

Thumbnail by ridesredmule
north coast nsw, Australia

Ive heard they need icey water running through there roots, ive tried to put ice in there pots so it melts through them but to hot and humid here.

They don't need ice water but I use shaded rainwater and pour it through the top soil once to twice a day. Dappled Sun. Mine are doing just fine.

north coast nsw, Australia

how long have you had yours tommy? Maybe they like your climate better than mine.

I bought the 3 year old plant a little over a year ago. I started the other from seeds last year. It can get hot here in NY, although this year is milder than last. Only a few 90 degree F. days so far this year.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.